Since massive multiple-input multiple-output (MIMO) array and beamforming significantly improve spectrum efficiency, where beamforming adapts the radiation pattern of the massive array, most previous studies focus on the MIMO beamforming optimization problem to maximize the utility of the system by assuming that a massive array consists of an isotropic antenna. This research work was conducted to investigate the beamforming optimization problem with practical elements in a MIMO array. By inserting the effect of a practical antenna array gain in the channel model, the impact of array elements feeding on the beamforming optimization problem could be illustrated. Furthermore, the beamforming optimization, non-convex issue, is reformulated to synonymous convex optimization issue, through a weighted minimum mean square error (WMMSE) technique. Consequently, a conformal array (CfA) with a half wavelength dipole element is proposed at the base station (BS). The simulation results display that the suggested WMMSE-beamforming technique performance with considering antenna array gain effect can yield much better and accurate system performance than the other algorithms. Eventually, to analyze the impact of array gain on the optimization problem solution in addition to boot the network capacity, a curl antenna array in octagonal prism geometry is created. The curl antenna is circularly polarized and has a high gain compared to the half-wavelength dipole.
2. Larsson, E. G., F. Tufvesson, O. Edfors, and T. L. Marzetta, "Massive MIMO for next generation wireless systems," IEEE Commun. Magazine, Vol. 52, No. 2, 186-195, 2014.
3. Andrews, J. G., S. Buzzi, W. Choi, S. V. Hanly, A. Lozano, A. C. K. Soong, and J. C. Zhang, "What will 5G be?," IEEE J. Sel. Areas Commun., Vol. 32, No. 6, 1065-1082, 2014.
4. Larsson, E. G. and L. V. der Perre, "Massive MIMO for 5G," IEEE 5G Tech Focus, Vol. 1, No. 1, 2017.
5. Arunitha, A., T. Gunasekaran, and N. S. Kumar, "Adaptive beam forming algorithms for MIMO antenna," J. Innov. Technol. Explor. Eng., Vol. 14, No. 8, 9-12, 2015.
6. Han, S., I. Chih-Lin, Z. Xu, and C. Rowell, "Large-scale antenna systems with hybrid analog and digital beamforming for millimeter wave 5G," IEEE Communications Magazine, Vol. 53, No. 1, 186-194, 2015.
7. Vook, F. W., A. Ghosh, and T. A. Thomas, "MIMO and beamforming solutions for 5G technology," 2014 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium (IMS2014), Jun. 1, 2014.
8. Yang, B., Z. Yu, J. Lan, R. Zhang, J. Zhou, and W. Hong, "Digital beamforming-based massive MIMO transceiver for 5G millimeter-wave communications," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Technique, Vol. 66, No. 7, 3403-3418, 2018.
9. Shi, Q., et al., "An iteratively weighted MMSE approach to distributed sum-utility maximization for a MIMO interfering broadcast channel," IEEE Trans. Signal. Process., Vol. 59, No. 9, 4331-4340, 2011.
10. Shi, Y., J. Zhang, and K. B. Letaief, "Group sparse beamforming for green cloud-RAN," IEEE Trans. Wirel. Commun., Vol. 13, No. 5, 2809-2823, 2014.
11. Dai, B. and W. Yu, "Sparse beamforming and user-centric clustering for downlink cloud radio access network," IEEE Access, Vol. 2, 1326-1339, 2014.
12. Luo, S., R. Zhang, and T. J. Lim, "Downlink and uplink energy minimization through user association and beamforming in CRAN," IEEE Trans. Wirel. Commun., Vol. 14, No. 1, 494-508, 2015.
13. Cumanan, K., et al., "Rahulamathavan. Robust MMSE beamforming for multiantenna relay networks," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 66, No. 5, 3900-3912, 2018.
14. Wang, K., K. Yang, and C. Magurawalage, "Joint energy minimization and resource allocation in C-RAN with mobile cloud," IEEE Trans. Cloud Comput., Vol. 6, No. 3, 760-770, 2017.
15. Li, H., Z. Wang, and H. Wang, "Joint user association and power allocation for massive MIMO hetnets with imperfect CSI," Signal Processing, Vol. 173, 2020.
16. Mai, R., D. H. N. Nguyen, and T. Le-Ngoc, "MMSE hybrid precoder design for millimeter-wave massive MIMO systems," 2016 IEEE Wireless Communications and Networking Conf., 1-6, Doha, Apr. 2016.
17. Nasseri, S., M. R. Nakhai, and T. A. Le, "Chance constrained robust downlink beamforming in multicell networks," IEEE Trans. Mob. Comput., Vol. 15, No. 11, 2682-2691, 2016.
18. Abdelhakam, M. M., M. M. Elmesalawy, K. R. Mahmoud, and I. I. Brahim, "Efficient WMMSE beamforming for 5G mmWave cellular networks exploiting the effect of antenna array geometries," IET Communications, Vol. 122, 169-178, 2017.
19. Li, H., J. Cheng, Z. Wang, and H. Wang, "Joint antenna selection and power allocation for an energy-efficient massive MIMO system," IEEE Wireless Commun. Letters, Vol. 8, No. 1, 257-260, 2019.
20. Chen, C.-M., V. Volski, L. V. D. Perre, G. A. E. Vandenbosch, and S. Pollin, "Finite large antenna arrays for massive MIMO: Characterization and system impact," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 12, 6712-6720, 2017.
21. Marinovic, T., A. Farsaei, R. Maaskant, A. L. Lavieja, M. N. Johansson, U. Gustavsson, and G. A. E. Vandenbosch, "Effect of antenna array element separation on capacity of MIMO systems including mutual coupling," 2019 IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation and USNC-URSI Radio Science Meeting, 415-416, 2019.
22. Huang, X., et al., "Joint scheduling and beamforming coordination in cloud radio access networks with QoS guarantees," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 65, No. 7, 5449-5460, 2016.
23. Kulkarni, M. N., A. Ghosh, and J. G. Andrews, "A comparison of MIMO techniques in downlink millimeter wave cellular networks with hybrid beamforming," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 64, No. 5, 1952-1967, 2016.
24. Xia, P., R. W. Heath, and N. Gonzalez-Prelcic, "Robust analog precoding designs for millimeter wave MIMO transceivers with frequency and time division duplexing," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 64, No. 11, 4622-4634, 2016.
25. Andrews, J. G., et al., "Modeling and analyzing millimeter wave cellular systems," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 65, No. 1, 403-430, 2017.
26. Nakano, H., S. Okuzawa, K. Ohishi, H. Mimaki, and J. Yamauchi, "A curl antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 41, No. 11, 1570-1575, 1993.
27. Zainud-Deen, S. H., K. R. Mahmoud, and M. El-Adawy, "Sabry MM Ibrahem. Design of Yagi-Uda antenna and electromagnetically coupled curl antenna using particle swarm optimization algorithm," Proceedings of the Twenty-Second National Radio Science Conference, NRSC, 115-124, 2005.
28. Noordin, N. H., V. Zuniga, A. O. El-Rayis, N. Haridas, A. T. Erdogan, and T. Arslan, "Uniform circular arrays for phased array antenna," Loughborough Antennas and Propagation Conference, Loughborough, 2011.
29. Tang, J., W. P. Tay, and T. Q. S. Quek, "Cross-layer resource allocation with elastic service scaling in cloud radio access network," IEEE Trans. Wirel. Commun., Vol. 14, No. 9, 5068-5081, 2015.
30. Nasir, A. A., et al., "Path-following algorithms for beamforming and signal splitting in RF energy harvesting networks," IEEE Commun. Lett., Vol. 20, No. 8, 1687-1690, 2016.
31. Boyd, S. and L. Vandenberghe, Convex Optimization, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK, 2004.