A new detection algorithm based on constant false alarm rate (CFAR) algorithm, which is applicable to radar image with homogeneous background, is proposed in this paper. This algorithm firstly estimates the parameters of the probability model of background accurately. Then a conventional global CFAR is done using the results of estimation. In estimating the parameters of background, a novel iterative algorithm, which is self-adaptive, is given. The simulation results demonstrate that the performance of the proposed detection algorithm is very close to the theoretical optimum value, and better than CA-CFAR, GO-CFAR and SO-CFAR.
2. Oliver, C. J. and S. Quegan, Understanding Synthetic Aperture Radar Images, Artech House, Boston, 1998.
3. Candhi, P. P. and S. A. Kassam, "Analysis of some CFAR processors in nonhomogeneous background," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 24, No. 2, 427-445, 1998.
4. DiFranco, J. V. and W. L. Rubin, Radar Detection, Prentice-Hall, London, 1968.
5. Chan, Y. K. and V. C. Koo, "An introduction to synthetic aperture radar (SAR)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 27-60, 2008.
6. Lee, K. C., C. W. Huang, and M. C. Fang, "Radar target recognition by projected features of frequency-diversity RCS," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 81, 121-133, 2008.
7. Anastassopoulos, V. and G. Lampropoulos, "A new and robust CFAR detection algorithm," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 28, No. 2, 420-427, 1992.
8. Tiwari, K. C., D. Singh, and M. K. Arora, "Development of a model for detection and estimation of depth of shallow buried non-metallic landmine at microwave X-band frequency," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 225-250, 2008.
9. Xue, W. and X.-W. Sun, "Multiple targets detection method based on binary Hough transform and adaptive time-frequency filtering," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 74, 309-317, 2007.