A thin rectangular dielectric strip is located along the horizontal diameter of a penetrable rod, while the whole structure is illuminated by a plane wave at an arbitrary angle. The unknown field on the slab-sided scatterer is determined by dividing it into a large number of square pixels and thus the problem is solved via analytical integration. A quantity expressing the effect of the strip in the far region is defined and graphically represented with respect to the problem parameters. The attached diagrams are examined and discussed.
2. Li, C. and Z. Shen, "Electromagnetic scattering by a conducting cylinder coated with metamaterials," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 42, 91-105, 2003.
3. Valagiannopoulos, C. A. and N. K. Uzunoglu, "Scattering of ELF waves by underground formations because of night-day ionospheric ridge ," Radio Science, Vol. 42, No. RS6S32, 2007.
4. Valagiannopoulos, C. A., "Electromagnetic scattering from two eccentric metamaterial cylinders with frequency-dependent permittivities differing slightly each other ," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 3, 23-34, 2008.
5. Toyama, H., K. Yasumoto, and T. Iwasaki, "Electromagnetic scattering from a dielectric cylinder with multiple eccentric cylindrical inclusions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 40, 113-129, 2003.
6. Zhang, Y. J., A. Bauer, and E. P. Li, "A novel coupled T-matrix and microwave network approach for multiple scattering from parallel semicircular channel with eccentric cylindrical inclusions," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 53, 109-133, 2005.
7. Richmond, J. H., "Scattering by a dielectric cylinder of arbitrary cross section shape," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 13, No. 3, 334-341, 1965.
8. Zhuck, N. P. and A. G. Yarovoy, "Two-dimensional scattering from an inhomogeneous dielectric cylinder embedded in a stratified medium: Case of TM polarization," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 42, No. 1, 16-21, 1994.
9. Valagiannopoulos, C. A., "A signal coverage model for two neighboring islands of different size," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 2, 115-130, 2008.
10. Khatir, B. N., M. Al-Kanhal, and A. Sebak, "Electromagnetic wave scattering by elliptic chiral cylinder," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 20, No. 10, 1377-1390, 2006.
11. Balanis, C. A., Advanced Engineering Electromagnetics , 595-596, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1989.
12. Valagiannopoulos, C. A., "Semi-analytic solution to a cylindrical microstrip with inhomogeneous substrate," Electromagnetics, Vol. 27, No. 8, 527-544, 2007.
13. Valagiannopoulos, C. A., "Study of an electrically anisotropic cylinder excited magnetically by a straight strip line," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 73, 137-152, 2007.
14. Valagiannopoulos, C. A., "Arbitrary currents on circular cylinder with inhomogeneous cladding and RCS optimization," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 21, No. 5, 665-680, 2007.
15. Valagiannopoulos, C. A., "Closed-form solution to the scattering of a skew strip field by metallic pin in a slab," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 79, 1-21, 2008.
16. Abramowitz, M. and I. A. Stegun, Handbook of Mathematical Functions, 480, National Bureau of Standards, Washington D.C., 1964.
17. Valagiannopoulos, C. A., "An overview of the Watson transformation presented through a simple example," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 75, 137-152, 2007.