A quad-band (3.5, 5.8, 7.5 & 8.08 GHz), low profile, low Specific Absorption rate (SAR), and circularly polarized (3.5, 7.5, 8.08 GHz) wearable textile antenna (50x30x1 mm3) integrated with a triple-band zero reflection phase Artificial Magnetic Conductor (AMC) surface is presented. The designed standalone antenna exhibits low SAR with 10 mm separation for 0.5 W input power and radiation performance with a gain of >5 dB and Front to Back Ratio (FBR) (<10 dB) at all operating frequencies. The AMC unit-cell is synthesized using PDMS (Polydimethylsiloxane) with footprint of 20×20×1 mm3 to operating at 3.5, 7.5, and 8.08 GHz respectively with in-phase reflection. The designed 3×3 AMC reflector is integrated to improve the radiation performance of the designed antenna with gain to >7 dB, FBR to >10 dB, and withstanding low SAR at increased input power compatibility at separation (d=3 mm) from the body surface. The designed AMC transforms the radiation pattern from omnidirectional to directional with improved FBR, reduced back radiation with low SAR (<0.504 W/kg). The proposed AMC integrated antenna also providing mechanical feasibility in terms of handling the frequency detuning due to bending and the human-body loading feature makes it suitable for wireless body area networks (WBAN) applications.
2. Mahfuz, M. M. H., et al., "Wearable textile patch antenna: Challenges and future directions," IEEE Access, Vol. 10, 38406-38427, 2022, doi: 10.1109/ACCESS.2022.3161564.
3. Shakib, M. N., M. Moghavvemi, and W. N. L. Binti Wan Mahadi, "Design of a tri-band off-body antenna for WBAN communication," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 210-213, 2017, doi: 10.1109/LAWP.2016.2569819.
4. El Gharbi, M., R. Fernández-García, S. Ahyoud, and I. Gil, "A review of exible wearable antenna sensors: Design, fabrication methods, and applications," Materials (Basel), Vol. 13, No. 17, 2020, doi: 10.3390/ma13173781.
5. Wang, J., et al., "Metantenna: When metasurface meets antenna again," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 68, No. 3, 1332-1347, 2020.
6. Zhang, K., P. J. Soh, and S. Yan, "Meta-wearable antennas --- A review of metamaterial based antennas in wireless body area networks," Materials (Basel), Vol. 14, No. 1, 149, 2021.
7. Dewan, R., et al., "Artificial magnetic conductor for various antenna applications: An overview," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Eng., Vol. 27, No. 6, e21105, 2017.
8. Balanis, C. A., M. A. Amiri, A. Y. Modi, S. Pandi, and C. R. Birtcher, "Applications of AMC-based impedance surfaces," EPJ Appl. Metamat., Vol. 5, 3, 2018, doi: 10.1051/epjam/2017010.
9. Zhang, K., G. A. E. Vandenbosch, and S. Yan, "A novel design approach for compact wearable antennas based on metasurfaces," IEEE Trans. Biomed. Circuits Syst., Vol. 14, No. 4, 918-927, 2020, doi: 10.1109/TBCAS.2020.3010259.
10. Alemaryeen, A. and S. Noghanian, "Crumpling effects and specific absorption rates of flexible AMC integrated antennas," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propag., Vol. 12, No. 4, 627-635, 2018, doi: https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-map.2017.0652.
11. Hazarika, B., B. Basu, and A. Nandi, "An artificial magnetic conductor-backed monopole antenna to obtain high gain, conformability, and lower specific absorption rate for WBAN applications," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Eng., Vol. 30, No. 12, e22441, 2020, doi: https://doi.org/10.1002/mmce.22441.
12. Arif, A., M. Zubair, M. Ali, M. U. Khan, and M. Q. Mehmood, "A compact, low-profile fractal antenna for wearable on-body WBAN applications," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 18, No. 5, 981-985, 2019, doi: 10.1109/LAWP.2019.2906829.
13. Jiang, Z. H., D. E. Brocker, P. E. Sieber, and D. H. Werner, "A compact, low-profile metasurface-enabled antenna for wearable medical body-area network devices," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 8, 4021-4030, 2014, doi: 10.1109/TAP.2014.2327650.
14. Kokolia, M. and Z. Raida, "Textile-integrated microwave components based on artificial magnetic conductor," Int. J. Numer. Model. Electron. Networks, Devices Fields, Vol. 34, No. 4, e2864, 2021, doi: https://doi.org/10.1002/jnm.2864.
15. El Atrash, M., M. A. Abdalla, and H. M. Elhennawy, "A wearable dual-band low profile high gain low SAR antenna AMC-backed for WBAN applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 67, No. 10, 6378-6388, 2019.
16. Yang, H., X. Liu, Y. Fan, and L. Xiong, "Dual-band textile antenna with dual circular polarizations using polarization rotation AMC for off-body communications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., 1, 2022, doi: 10.1109/TAP.2021.3138504.
17. Ramli, M. N., P. J. Soh, M. F. Jamlos, H. Lago, N. M. Aziz, and A. A. Al-Hadi, "Dual-band wearable uidic antenna with metasurface embedded in a PDMS substrate," Appl. Phys. A, Vol. 123, No. 2, 149, 2017.
18. Paracha, K. N., et al., "A low profile, dual-band, dual polarized antenna for indoor/outdoor wearable application," IEEE Access, Vol. 7, 33277-33288, 2019.
19. Dey, A. B., D. Mitra, and W. Arif, "Design of CPW fed multiband antenna for wearable wireless body area network applications," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Eng., Oct. 2020, doi: 10.1002/mmce.22459.
20. Velan, S., et al., "Dual-band EBG integrated monopole antenna deploying fractal geometry for wearable applications," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 14, 249-252, 2015, doi: 10.1109/LAWP.2014.2360710.
21. Abirami, B. S. and E. F. Sundarsingh, "EBG-backed exible printed Yagi-Uda antenna for on- body communication," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 65, No. 7, 3762-3765, 2017, doi: 10.1109/TAP.2017.2705224.
22. Zu, H., B. Wu, P. Yang, W. Li, and J. Liu, "Wideband and high-gain wearable antenna array with specific absorption rate suppression," Electronics, Vol. 10, No. 17, 2021, doi: 10.3390/electronics10172056.
23. Cheng, Y.-F., X. Ding, B.-Z. Wang, and W. Shao, "An azimuth-pattern-reconfigurable antenna with enhanced gain and front-to-back ratio," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 16, 2303-2306, 2017, doi: 10.1109/LAWP.2017.2715373.
24. Sarkar, P. P., "Compact ultra-wideband antenna: Improvement of gain and FBR across the entire bandwidth using FSS," IET Microwaves, Antennas Propag., Vol. 14, No. 1, 66-74(8), Jan. 2020.
25. Kumar, C. and D. Guha, "Mitigating backside radiation issues of defected ground structure integrated microstrip patches," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 12, 2502-2506, 2020, doi: 10.1109/LAWP.2020.3037219.
26. Xu, Y., N.-W. Liu, and L. Zhu, "Proposal and design of an end-fire slot antenna with low back-lobe and improved front-to-back ratio," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Eng., Vol. 31, No. 2, e22508, 2021.
27. Alam, M., M. Siddique, B. K. Kanaujia, M. T. Beg, S. Kumar, and K. Rambabu, "Meta-surface enabled hepta-band compact antenna for wearable applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propag., Vol. 13, No. 13, 2372-2379, 2019, doi: https://doi.org/10.1049/iet-map.2018.6212.
28. Yu, C., S. Yang, Y. Chen, and D. Zeng, "Radiation enhancement for a triband microstrip antenna using an AMC reflector characterize with three zdero-phases in reflection coefficient," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 33, No. 14, 1846-1859, 2019, doi: 10.1080/09205071.2019.1645743.
29. Yalduz, H., T. E. Tabaru, V. T. Kilic, and M. Turkmen, "Design and analysis of low profile and low SAR full-textile UWB wearable antenna with metamaterial for WBAN applications," AEU --- Int. J. Electron. Commun., Vol. 126, 153465, 2020, doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aeue.2020.153465.
30. Gong, Y., S. Yang, B. Li, Y. Chen, F. Tong, and C. Yu, "Multi-band and high gain antenna using AMC ground characterized with four zero-phases of reflection coefficient," IEEE Access, Vol. 8, 171457-171468, 2020.
31. Ghosh, A., V. Kumar, G. Sen, and S. Das, "Gain enhancement of triple-band patch antenna by using triple-band artificial magnetic conductor," IET Microwaves, Antennas Propag., Vol. 12, No. 8, 1400-1406, 2018.
32. Lai, J., J. Wang, W. Sun, R. Zhao, and H. Zeng, "A low profile artificial magnetic conductor based tri-band antenna for wearable applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 64, No. 1, 123-129, 2022, doi: https://doi.org/10.1002/mop.33040.
33., "Shielding and conductive fabrics,", Less EMF, 2015.
34. Fields, R. E., "Evaluating compliance with FCC guidelines for human exposure to radiofrequency electromagnetic fields," OET Bull., Vol. 65, No. 10, 1997.
35. Sharma, P. K., N. Gupta, and P. I. Dankov, "Characterization of polydimethylsiloxane (PDMS) as a wearable antenna substrate using resonance and planar structure methods," AEU --- Int. J. Electron. Commun., Vol. 127, 153455, 2020, doi: https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aeue.2020.153455.
36. Langley, R. J. and E. A. Parker, "Double-square frequency-selective surfaces and their equivalent circuit," Electron. Lett., Vol. 19, No. 17, 675-677, 1983.