In this paper, new fractal curves are designed, simulated, and implemented for passive UHF RFID application. 5-, 6-, 7-, and 8-sides polygon fractal loops are proposed and implemented in this work based on the 2nd iteration. It is shown that increasing the number of sides can improve the performance and minimize the size of the fractal antenna. The designed fractal loop antennas have been compared with other fractal loop antennas published previously, and the recent antennas show a better performance. The designed antennas are fabricated using PCB technology, and the antenna parameters are measured experimentally and compared to CST simulations. There is an acceptable agreement between the simulated and measured results. The effect of different materials on antenna performance is also studied.
2. Babaeian, F. and N. C. Karmakar, "Time and frequency domains analysis of chipless RFID back-scattered tag reflection," IoT 1, No. 1, 109-127, 2020.
3. Rokunuzzaman, Md., M. T. Islam, W. S. T. Rowe, S. Kibria, M. J. Singh, and N. Misran, "Design of a miniaturized meandered line antenna for UHF RFID tags," PloS One 11, No. 8, e0161293, 2016.
4. Ukkonen, L., L. Sydanheimo, and M. Kivikoski, "A novel tag design using inverted-F antenna for radio frequency identification of metallic objects," Proc. 2004 IEEE/Sarnoff Symp. Advances in Wired and Wireless Communication, 91-94, April 2004.
5. Riaz, M., G. Rymar, M. Ghavami, and S. Dudley, "A novel design of UHF RFID passive tag antenna targeting smart cards limited area," 2018 IEEE International Conference on Consumer Electronics (ICCE), 1-4, IEEE, 2018.
6. Werner, D. H. and S. Ganguly, "An overview of fractal antenna engineering research," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 45, No. 1, 38-56, February 2003.
7. Zeng, M., A. S. Andrenko, X. Liu, H.-Z. Tan, and B. Zhu, "Design of fractal loop antenna with integrated ground plane for RF energy harvesting," 2016 IEEE International Conference on Mathematical Methods in Electromagnetic Theory (MMET), 384-387, IEEE, 2016.
8. Sabaawi, A. M. A. and K. M. Quboa, "Design and fabrication of miniaturized fractal antennas for passive UHF RFID tags," Advanced Radio Frequency Identification Design and Applications, 2010.
9. Sabaawi, A. M. A. and K. M. Quboa, "Wideband modified dipole antenna for passive UHF RFID tags," 2010 7th International Multi-Conference on Systems, Signals and Devices, 1-4, IEEE, 2010.
10. Salama, A. M. A. and K. Quboa, "A new fractal loop antenna for passive UHF RFID tags applications," Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Information & Communication Technologies: From Theory to Applications (ICTTA’08), 477, April 7–11, 2008.
11. Sultan, Q. H. and A. M. A. Sabaawi, "Design a new fractal loop antenna for UHF RFID tags based on a proposed fractal curve," 2010 2nd International Conference on Computer Technology and Development, 6-9, IEEE, 2010.
12. Orazi, H. and H. Soleimani, "Miniaturisation of the triangular patch antenna by the novel dual-reverse-arrow fractal," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 9, No. 7, 627-633, 2014.
13. Anguera, J., C. Puente, C. Borja, and J. Soler, "Fractal-shaped antennas: A review," Wiley Encyclopedia of RF and Microwave Engineering, Vol. 2, 1620-1635, edited by K. Chang, 2005.
14. Werner, D. H. and S. Ganguly, "An overview of fractal antenna engineering research," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 45, No. 1, 38-57, February 2003.
15. Anguera, J., A. Andujar, J. Jayasinghe, V. V. S. S. S. Chakravarthy, P. S. R. Chowdary, T. Ali, J. L. Pijoan, and C. Cattani, Fractal Antennas: An Historic Perspective, Fractal and Fractional, 2020.
16. Yu, Z., J. Yu, X. Ran, and C. Zhu, "A novel Koch and Sierpinski combined fractal antenna for 2G/3G/4G/5G/WLAN/navigation applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 59, No. 9, 2147-2155, 2017.
17. Andrenko, A. S., "Conformal fractal loop antennas for RFID tag applications," IEEE Applied Electromagnetics and Communications, ICECom. International Conference, 1-6, October 2005.
18. Choi, W., H. W. Son, J. Choi, C. S. Pyo, and J. S. Chae, "An RFID tag using a planar inverted-F antenna capable of being stuck to metallic objects," ETRI Journal, Vol. 28, No. 2, 216-218, April 2006.
19. Salama, A. M. A., "Antennas of RFID tags," Radio Frequency Identification Fundamentals and Applications Design Methods and Solutions, 93-110, 2010.
20. Dobkin, D. M. and S. M. Weigand, "Environmental effects on RFID tag antennas," IEEE Microwave Symposium Digest, 4, June 2005.