This article presents the design and development of a low profile substrate integrated waveguide semi-circular cavity-backed antenna loaded with dielectric cylinders of glass-reinforced epoxy and Teflon. The substrate integrated waveguide semi-circular cavity-backed antenna without dielectric loading radiates at 5.8 GHz with 3.13 dB gain. The antenna is modified by putting dielectric cylinders of different materials and different sizes at the edge of a semi-circular cavity to enhance the gain of the antenna. The new antenna thus created has improved gain of 8.13 dB. All simulations are done using high frequency structure simulation software. The proposed design is fabricated on a glass-reinforced epoxy substrate with a semi-circular cavity having a size of 60 mm x 50 mm. The measured results are in good agreement with simulated ones.
2. Xu, Z., Q. Zhou, Y. Ban, and S. Ang, "Hepta-band coupled-fed loop antenna for LTE/WWAN unbroken metal-rimmedsmartphone applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 17, No. 2, 311-314, 2018.
3. Li, Y. S. and R. Mittra, "A three-dimensional circularly polarized antenna with a low profile and a wide 3-dB beamwidth," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 30, No. 1, 89-97, 2016.
4. Li, M. Y., et al., "Eight-port dual-polarized MIMO antenna for 5G smartphone applications," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 11, No. 12, 1810-1816, 2017.
5. Nakano, H., et al., "A cavity-backed rectangular aperture antenna with application to a tilted fan beam array antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 4, 712-718, 2003.
6. Hong, W., N. Behdad, and K. Sarabandi, "Size reduction of cavity-backed slot antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 5, 1461-1466, 2006.
7. Kumar, A. and S. Raghavan, "Broadband SIW cavity-backed triangular-ring-slotted antenna for Ku-band applications," AEU — Int. J. Electron. Commun. 2018, Vol. 87, 60-64, 2018.
8. Bozzi, M., A. Georgiadis, and K. Wu, "Review of substrate-integrated waveguide circuits and antennas," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 5, No. 8, 909-920, 2011.
9. Luo, G. Q., X. H. Zhang, L. X. Dong, W. J. Li, and L. L. Sun, "A gain enhanced cavity backed slot antenna using high order cavity resonance," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 8–9, 1273-1279, 2011.
10. Xu, Z., J. Liu, S. Huang, and Y. Li, "Gain-enhanced SIW cavity-backed slot antenna by using TE410 mode resonance," International Journal of Electronics and Communications, 2018.
11. Kumar, P., J. Kumar, S. Singh, Utkarsh, and S. Dwari, "SIW resonator fed horn mounted compact DRA with enhanced gain for multiband applications," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, 1-8, 2019.
12. Bayderkhani, R., K. Forooraghi, and B. Abbasi-Arand, "Gain-enhanced SIW cavity-backed slot antenna with arbitrary levels of inclined polarization," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 931-934, 2015.
13. Banerjee, S. and S. K. Parui, "Bandwidth improvement of substrate integrated waveguide cavity-backed slot antenna with dielectric resonators," Microsyst. Technol., Vol. 26, 1359-1368, 2020.
14. Niu, B. and J. Tan, "Bandwidth enhancement of low-profile SIW cavity antenna using fraction modes," Electronics Letters, Vol. 55, No. 5, 233-234, 2019.
15. Niu, B. and J.-H. Tan, "Bandwidth enhancement of low-profile SIW cavity antenna with bilateral slots," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 82, 25-32, 2019.
16. Huang, J.-Q., D. Lei, C. Jiang, Z. Tang, F. Qiu, M. Yao, and Q.-X. Chu, "Novel circularly polarized SIW cavity-backed antenna with wide CP beamwidth by using dual orthogonal slot split rings," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 73, 97-104, 2017.
17. Fakhte, S., H. Oraizi, and L. Matekovits, "High gain rectangular dielectric resonator antenna using uniaxial material at fundamental mode," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 1, 342-347, Jan. 2017.
18. Fakhte, S., H. Oraizi, L. Matekovits, and G. Dassano, "Cylindrical anisotropic dielectric resonator antenna with improved gain," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 3, 1404-1409, Mar. 2017.
19. Gupta, S., P. Kshirsagar, and B. Mukherjee, "Sierpinski fractal inspired inverted pyramidal DRA for wide band applications," Electromagnetics, 2018.
20. Fakhte, S., H. Oraizi, and L. Matekovits, "Gain improvement of rectangular dielectric resonator antenna by engraving grooves on its side walls," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 2167-2170, 2017.
21. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 3rd Ed., Wiley, New York, USA, 2005.