This paper presents an analysis of microstrip patch antennas with different dielectric/magnetic substrate profiles in an attempt to obtain operating frequency reduction. Initially, different ridge shapes in the substrate were examined. An in-depth investigation of the ridge shape and its dimensions on the antenna performance has been carried out. Subsequently an antenna with a magnetic-slab loaded in the prime magnetic-field region beneath the patch is proposed. The new magnetic loaded antenna design is aimed to reduce the resonant frequency of a conventional patch and reduce the profile of an earlier design with a substrate ridge. Various magnetic materials have been embedded within the original dielectric substrate of the patch antenna. Measured results validated the hypothesis that this frequency can be reduced by placing magnetic materials at the centre of the patch. The achieved gain is expected to be further enhanced by using forthcoming magnetic materials with improved performance.
2. Perruisseau-Carrier, J., M. Tamagnone, J. S. Gomez-Diaz, and E. Carrasco, "Graphene antennas: Can integration and reconfigurability compensate for the loss?," Proceedings of the 43rd European Microwave Conference (EuMA), 369-372, Nurember.
3. Yang, G.-M., A. Shrabstein, X. Xing, O. Obi, S. Stoute, M. Liu, J. Lou, and N. X. Sun, "Miniaturized antennas and planar bandpass filters with self-biased NiCo-ferrite films," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 45, No. 10, 4191-4194, Nov. 2009.
4. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 4th Ed., Wiley, Mar. 2016.
5. Niamien, C., S. Collardey, A. Sharaiha, and K. Mahdjoubi, "Compact expressions for efficiency and bandwidth of patch antennas over lossy magneto-dielectric materials," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 63-66, 2011.
6. Whittow, W. G., "Microstrip patch antennas with 3-dimensional substrates," Antennas and Propagation Conference (LAPC), 1-5, Loughborough, Nov. 12–13, 2012.
7. Mattei, J.-L., E. Le Guen, and A. Chevalier, "Dense and half-dense NiZnCo ferrite ceramics: Their respective relevance for antenna downsizing, according to their dielectric and magnetic properties at microwave frequencies," Journal of Applied Physics, Vol. 117, 084904, 2015.
8. Jadhav, G. B., Investigations of properties of spinel ferrite compound doped with rare earth ionsquot, Ph.D. dissertation, Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University, India, Dec. 5, 2013.
9. Farzami, F., K. Forooraghi, and M. Norooziarab, "Miniaturization of a microstrip antenna using a compact and thin magneto-dielectric substrate," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 1540-1542, 2011.
10. Hwang, Y. S., K. H. Lee, Y. S. Jeon, and W. M. Sung, "The design of a near-field antenna with a ferrite sheet for UHF EPC applications," Journal of Electromagnetic Engineering and Science, Vol. 14, No. 3, 317-319, 2014.
11. Medeiros Gama, A. and M. Cerqueira Rezende, "Complex permeability and permittivity variation of radar absorbing materials based on MnZn ferrite in microwave frequencies," Materials Research, Vol. 16, No. 5, Sao Carlos, Sept./Oct. 2013.
12. Zhang, Q., Z. Chen, Y. Gao, C. Parini, and Z. Ying, "Miniaturized antenna array with Co2Z hexaferrite substrate for massive MIMO," 2014 IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 1803-1804, Jul. 6–11, 2014.
13. Yang, G.-M., X. Xing, A. Daigle, O. Obi, M. Liu, L. Jing, S. Stoute, K. Naishadham, and N. X. Sun, "Planar annular ring antennas with multilayer self-biased NiCo-ferrite films loading," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 3, 648-655, Mar. 2010.
14. Schaubert, D. H., D. M. Pozar, and A. Adrian, "Effect of microstrip antenna substrate thickness and permittivity: Comparison of theories with experiment," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 37, No. 6, 677-682, Jun. 1989.
15. Poddar, D. R., J. S. Chatterjee, and S. R. Chowdhury, "On some broad-band microstrip resonators," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 31, No. 1, 193-194, Jan. 1983.
16. Hansen, R. C. and M. Burke, "Antennas with magneto-dielectrics," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 26, No. 2, 75-78, Jul. 2000.
17. Patel, S. S., I. J. Garcia Zuazola, and W. G. Whittow, "Antenna with three dimensional 3D printed substrates," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 58, No. 4, 741-744, Apr. 2016.
18. Motevasselian, A. and W. G. Whittow, "Patch size reduction of rectangular microstrip antennas by means of a cuboid ridge," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 9, No. 15, 1727-1732, Sep. 2015.
19. Han, Y., J. Suh, M. Shin, and S. Han, "The effect of sintering conditions on the power loss characteristics of Mn-Zn ferrites for high frequency applications," Journal de Physique IV Colloque, Vol. 7, No. 1, C1-111-C1-112, 1997.
20. Xing, B. B., et al., "Mn-Zn ferrite TP4K material with low power loss at high temperature," Applied Mechanics and Materials, Vol. 320, 119-122, Trans Tech Publications, Ltd., May 2013.