Wireless technology plays a vital role in data transfer. There is an acute need of smart wireless devices which could respond effectively for specific applications. This paper presents a defected ground plane based planar antenna. The presented antenna has the potential to operate at 2.47 GHz, 3.55 GHz, and 5.55 GHz frequencies with gains of 3.88 dBi, 3.87 dBi, and 3.83 dBi having impedance bandwidths of 14.61%, 5.42%, and 5.40% respectively. Flame Retardant 4 (FR4) is employed as a substrate. The agreement between simulated and measured results points out the utilization of the presented structure for Wi-Fi/WiMAX/WLAN applications.
2. Pendry, J. B., A. J. Holden, D. J. Robbins, and W. J. Stewart, "Magnetism from conductors and enhanced nonlinear phenomena," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 47, No. 11, 2075-2084, 1999.
3. Upadhyaya, T. K., S. P. Kosta, R. Jyoti, and M. Palandoken, "Negative refractive index material-inspired 90-deg electrically tilted ultra wideband resonator," Optical Engineering, Vol. 53, No. 10, 107104, 2014.
4. Upadhyaya, T. K., S. P. Kosta, R. Jyoti, and M. Palandoken, "Novel stacked μ-negative material-loaded antenna for satellite applications," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 8, No. 2, 229, 2016.
5. Patel, U. P. and T. K. Upadhyaya, "Design and analysis of compact μ-negative material loaded wideband electrically compact antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 79, 11-22, 2019.
6. Islam, M. M., M. T. Islam, and M. R. Faruque, "Dual-band operation of a microstrip patch antenna on a Duroid 5870 substrate for Ku- and K-bands," Scientific World Journal, Vol. 2013, 378420, 2013.
7. Sarkar, D., K. Saurav, and K. V. Srivastava, "Multi-band microstrip-fed slot antenna loaded with split-ring resonator," Electron. Lett., Vol. 50, 1498-1500, 2014.
8. Wan, Y.-T., D. Yu, F.-S. Zhang, and F. Zhang, "Miniature multi-band monopole antenna using spiral ring resonators for radiation pattern characteristics improvement," Electron. Lett., Vol. 49, 382-384, 2013.
9. Basaran, S. C., U. Olgun, and K. Sertel, "Multiband monopole antenna with complementary split-ring resonators for WLAN and WiMAX applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 49, 636-638, 2013.
10. Sim, C. Y. D., H. D. Chen, K. C. Chiu, and C. H. Chao, "Coplanar waveguide fed slot antenna for wireless local area network/worldwide interoperability for microwave access applications," IET Microw. Antenna Propag., Vol. 6, No. 14, 1529-1535, 2012.
11. Patel, R. H., A. H. Desai, and T. Upadhyaya, "Design of H-shape X-band application electrically small antenna," International Journal of Electrical Electronics and Data Communication (IJEEDC), Vol. 3, 1-4, 2015.
12. Pan, C. Y., T. S. Horng, W. S. Chen, and C. H. Huang, "Dual wideband printed monopole antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 6, 149-151, 2007.
13. Xu, H. X., G. M. Wang, and M. Q. Qi, "A miniaturized triple-band metamaterial antenna with radiation pattern selectivity and polarization diversity," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 137, 275-292, 2013.
14. Xu, H. X., G. M. Wang, Y. Y. Lv, M. Q. Qi, X. Gao, and S. Ge, "Multifrequency monopole antennas by loading metamaterial transmission lines with dual-shunt branchcircuit," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 137, 703-725, 2013.
15. Hamad, E. K. I. and A. Abdelaziz, "Performance of a metamaterial-based 1 × 2 microstrip patch antenna array for wireless communications examined by characteristic mode analysis," Radioengineering, Vol. 28, No. 4, 681, 2019.
16. Xu, H. X., G. M. Wang, M. Q. Qi, and T. Cai, "Compact fractal left-handed structures for improved cross-polarization radiation pattern," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 2, 546-554, 2014.
17. Jiangpeng, L., Y. Cheng, Y. Nie, and R. Gong, "Metamaterial extends microstrip antenna," Microwaves RF, Vol. 52, 69-73, 2013.
18. Xu, H. X., et al., "Analysis and design of two-dimensional resonant-type composite right/left-handed transmission lines with compact gain-enhanced resonant antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 2, 735-747, 2013.
19. Hamad, E. K. I. and A. Abdelaziz, "Metamaterial superstrate microstrip patch antenna for 5G wireless communication based on the theory of characteristic modes," Journal of Electrical Engineering, Vol. 70, No. 3, 187-197, 2019.
20. Smith, D. R., S. Schultz, P. Markos, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Determination of negative permittivity and permeability of metamaterials from reflection and transmission coefficients," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 65, 195104-195109, 2002.
21. Kaur, H. and A. Sharma, Microstrip Patch Antennas Using Metamaterials: A Review, 2017.
22. Singh, H. P. and R. Y. Kumar, "Design and simulation of rectangular microstrip patch antenna loaded with metamaterial structure," Electric Electron Tech. Open Acc. J., Vol. 1, No. 2, 00012, 2017.
23. Gangwar, K., Paras, R. P. S. Gangwar, and R. Verma, "Multiband microstrip patch antenna using metamaterial structure," 2nd International Conference on Emerging Trends in Technology and Applied Sciences (ICETTAS’15), 2018.
24. Li, L.-W., Y.-N. Li, T.-S., Yeo, J. R. Mosig, and O. J. F. Martin, "A broadband and high-gain metamaterial microstrip antenna," Applied Physics Letters, Vol. 96, No. 6, 164101, April 2010.
25. Islam, M. R., A. A. Alsaleh Adel, A. W. N. Mimi, M. Sarah Yasmin, and F. A. M. Norun, "Design of dual band microstrip patch antenna using metamaterial," IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, Vol. 260, No. 1, 012037, IOP Publishing, 2017.
26. Palandoken, M., A. Grede, and H. Henke, "Broadband microstrip antenna with lefthanded metamaterials," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, 331-338, 2009.
27. Lee, C. J., K. M. K. H. Leong, and T. Itoh, "Composite right/left-handed transmission line based compact resonant antennas for RF module integration," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, 2283-2291, 2006.
28. Aminu-Baba, M., M. K. A. Rahim, F. Zubir, A. Y. Iliyasu, M. F. M. Yusoff, K. I. Jahun, and O. Ayop, "Compact patch MIMO antenna with low mutual coupling for WLAN applications," ELEKTRIKA — Journal of Electrical Engineering, Vol. 18, No. 1, 43-46, 2019.
29. Shehata, G., M. Mohanna, and M. L. Rabeh, "Tri-band small monopole antenna based on SRR units," NRIAG Journal of Astronomy and Geophysics, Vol. 4, No. 2, 185-191, 2015.
30. Vahora, A. and K. Pandya, "Triple band dielectric resonator antenna array using power divider network technique for GPS navigation/bluetooth/satellite applications," International Journal of Microwave and Optical Technology, Vol. 15, 369-378, July 2020.
31. Pimpalgaonkar, P. R., T. K. Upadhyaya, K. Pandya, M. R. Chaurasia, and B. T. Raval, "A review on dielectric resonator antenna," 1ST International Conference on Automation in industries (ICAI), 106-109, June 2016.
32. Vahora, A. and K. Pandya, "Implementation of cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna array for Wi-Fi/wireless lan/satellite applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 90, 157-166, March 2020.
33. Iizuka, H. and P. S. Hall, "Left-handed dipole antennas and their implementations," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, 1246-1253, 2007.
34. Patel, A., Y. Kosta, N. Chhasatia, and K. Pandya, "Multiple band waveguide based microwave resonator," IEEE — International Conference on Advances in Engineering, Science and Management (ICAESM-2012), 84-87, IEEE, March 2012.
35. Pimpalgaonkar, P. R., M. R. Chaurasia, B. T. Raval, T. K. Upadhyaya, and K. Pandya, "Design of rectangular and hemispherical dielectric resonator antenna," 2016 International Conference on Communication and Signal Processing (ICCSP), 1430-1433, IEEE, 2016.
36. Vahora, A. and K. Pandya, "Microstrip feed two elements pentagon dielectric resonator antenna array," 2019 International Conference on Innovative Trends and Advances in Engineering and Technology (ICITAET), 22-25, IEEE, 2019.
37. Patel, R. and T. Upadhyaya, "An electrically small antenna for nearfield biomedical applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 60, No. 3, 556-561, 2018.