Novel substrate integrated waveguide bandpass filters are presented by using a complementary split-ring resonator. The proposed stepped impedance octagonal octagonal complementary split-ring resonator (SI-OCSRR) presents high miniaturization compared to the classical octagonal complementary split-ring resonator (O-CSRR). Additionally, two different filter configurations consisting of two cascaded cells with different coupling between the CSRR are proposed. A comparison between the proposed filters and the other ones reported in the literature has proven the advantages of the proposed filters, namely compact size, high in-band return loss, and ease of integration. A good agreement between the simulated and measured results has been reached, which verifies the validity of the design methodology.
2. Wu, K., "Integration and interconnect techniques of planar and non-planar structures for microwave and millimeter-wave circuits-current status and future trend," Microwave Conference, 2001, APMC 2001, Vol. 2, 411-416, IEEE, Asia-Pacific, 2001.
3. Grigoropoulos, N., et al., "Substrate Integrated Folded Waveguides (SIFW) and filters," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon Lett., Vol. 15, No. 12, 829-831, 2005.
4. Rong, Y., K. A. Zaki, M. Hageman, D. Stevens, and J. Gipprich, "Low-Temperature Cofired Ceramic (LTCC) ridge waveguide bandpass chip filters," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Techn., Vol. 47, No. 12, 2317-2324, 1999.
5. Wang, Y., et al., "Half Mode Substrate Integrated Waveguide (HMSIW) bandpass filter," IEEE Microwave Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 17, No. 4, 265-267, 2007.
6. Moitra, S. and P. S. Bhowmik, "Modelling and analysis of Substrate Integrated Waveguide (SIW) and Half-Mode SIW (HMSIW) band-pass filter using reactive longitudinal periodic structures," AEU — Int. J. Electron. Commun., Vol. 70, No. 12, 1593-1600, 2016.
7. Veselago, V. G., "The electrodynamics of substances with simultaneously negative values of ε and μ," Soviet Physics USPEKHI, Vol. 10, No. 14, 509-514, January–February 1968.
8. Solymar, L. and E. Shamonina, Waves in Metamaterials, University Press, 2017.
9. Keshavarz, S. and N. Nozhat, "Dual-band Wilkinson power divider based on composite right/left-handed transmission lines," 2016 13th International Conference on Electrical Engineering/ Electronics, Computer, Telecommunications and Information Technology (ECTI-CON), IEEE, 2016.
10. Keshavarz, S., et al., "Design and implementation of low loss and compact microstrip triplexer using CSRR loaded coupled lines," AEU — International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 111, 152913, 2019.
11. Karthikeyan, S. S. and R. S. Kshetrimayum, "Harmonic suppression of parallel coupled micro-strip line band-pass filter using CSRR," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 7, 193-201, 2009.
12. Falcone, F., et al., "Babinet principle applied to the design of meta-surfaces and metamaterials," Phys. Rev. Lett., Vol. 93, No. 1, 97401, 2004.
13. Falcone, F., T. Lopetegi, J. D. Baena, R. Marques, F. Martin, and M. Sorolla, "Effective negative-epsilon stopband microstrip lines based on complementary split-ring resonators," IEEE Microw. Wireless Compon. Lett., Vol. 14, No. 6, 280-282, June 2004.
14. Crnojevic-Bengin, V., (Ed.), Advances in Multi-band Microstrip Filters, Cambridge University, 2015.
15. Pendry, J. B., D. Schurig, and D. R. Smith, "Controlling electromagnetic fields," Science, Vol. 312, 1780-1782, 2006.
16. Nwajana, A. O., A. Dainkeh, and K. S. K. Yeo, "Substrate Integrated Waveguide (SIW) bandpass filter with novel microstrip-CPW-SIW input coupling," Journal of Microwaves. Optoelectronics and Electromagnetic Applications, Vol. 16, No. 2, 393-402, 2017.
17. Deslandes, D., "Design equations for tapered microstrip-to-substrate integrated waveguide transitions," 2010 IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium, 2010.
18. Dong, Y. D., T. Yang, and T. Itoh, "Substrate integrated waveguide loaded by complementary split-ring resonators and its applications to miniaturized waveguide filter," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 57, No. 9, 2211-2223, 2009.
19. Pozar, D. M., Microwave Engineering, 3rd Ed., Chapter 8, Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, 2005.
20. Huang, L., I. D. Robertson, W. Wu, and N. Yuan, "Substrate integrated waveguide filters with broadside-coupled complementary split-ring resonators," IET Microwaves, Ante. Propagat., Vol. 7, No. 10, 795-801, 2013.
21. Yan, T., X.-H. Tang, Z.-X. Xu, and D. Lu, "A novel type of band-pass filter using complementary open-ring resonator loaded HMSIWwith an electric cross-coupling," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 58, No. 4, 998-1001, 2016.
22. Delmonte, N., L. Silvestri, M. Bozzi, and L. Perregrini, "Compact half-mode SIW cavity filters designed by exploiting resonant mode control," Int. J. RF Microwave Comput.-Aided Eng., Vol. 26, 72-79, 2016.
23. Azad, A. R. and A. Mohan, "Sixteenth-mode substrate integrated waveguide bandpass filter loaded with complementary split-ring resonator," Electron. Lett., Vol. 53, No. 8, 546-547, 2017.
24. Chu, P., W. Hong, M. Tuo, K.-L. Zheng, W.-W. Yang, F. Xu, and K. Wu, "Dual-mode substrate integrated waveguide filter with flexible response," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 65, No. 3, 824-830, 2017.
25. Danaeian, M. and K. Afrooz, "Compact metamaterial unit-cell based on stepped-impedance resonator technique and its application to miniaturize substrate integrated waveguide filter and diplexer," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 29, No. 2, e21537, 2019.