r exploring the possibility of dual frequency response, a higher order mode frequency response in the air suspended design of a wideband E-shape microstrip antenna is studied, by appropriately decreasing the air gap.The decrease in the air gap realizes the impedance matching at higher order TM12 mode which along with the fundamental TM10 mode,gives dual frequency response. On an air suspended FR4 substrate with total thickness of 0.043λg, optimized single patch configuration yields dual band response at 2427 and 5730 MHz giving frequency ratio of 1:2.36. It yields impedance bandwidths of 6.6 % and 4.8% at two frequencies with respective broadside gains of 6.8 and 2.1dBi. The proposed configuration satisfies the requirements of 2.4/5.8 GHz WLAN applications. Parametric formulations are proposed for various antenna dimensions. The MSAs redesigned using them at given fundamental mode frequency yield a similar dual band response.
2. Kumar, G. and K. P. Ray, Broadband Microstrip Antennas, 1st Ed., Artech House, USA, 2003.
3. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory & Design, 3rd Ed., John Wiley & Sons Inc. Publication, 2005.
4. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, and I. Bahl, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, London, 2001.
5. Anasri, J. A., S. K. Dubey, P. Singh, R. U. Khan, and B. R. Vishvakarma, "Analysis of U-slot loaded patch for dual band operation," International Journal of Microwave and Optical Technology, Vol. 3, 80-84, 2008.
6. Sheta, A. F., A. Mohra, and S. F. Mahmoud, "Multi-band operation of a compact H-shaped microstrip antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 35, No. 5, 363-367, 2002.
7. Shynu, S. V., G. Augustin, C. K. Aanandan, P. Mohanan, and K. Vasudevan, "C-shaped slot loaded reconfigurable microstrip antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, 316-317, 2006.
8. Liu, S., S.-S. Qi, W. Wu, and D.-G. Fang, "Singlelayer single patch four band asymmetrical U-slot patch antenna," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 9, 4895-4899, 2014.
9. Gulam Nabi Alsath, M. and M. Kanagasabai, "Planar penta-band antenna for vehicular communication application," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 110-113, 2014.
10. Wong, K.-L. and S.-T. Fang, "Reduced-size circular microstrip antenna with dual-frequency operation," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 18, 54-56, 1998.
11. Zhong, Q., Y. Li, H. Jiang, and Y. Long, "Design of a novel dual-frequency microstrip patch antenna forWLAN applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 1, 277-280, 2004.
12. Wang, E., J. Zheng, and Y. Liu, "A novel dual-band patch antenna for WLAN communication," Progress In Electromagnetic Research C, Vol. 6, 93-102, 2010.
13. Mishra, A., J. A. Ansari, K. Kamakshi, A. Singh, Mohd. Aneesh, and B. R. Vishwakarma, "Compact dual-band rectangular microstrip patch antenna for 2.4/5.12 GHz wireless applications," Wireless Networks, Vol. 21, No. 2, 347-355, 2014.
14. Xi, D., L. H. Wen, Y. Z. Yin, Z. Zhang, and Y. N. Mo, "A compact dual inverted C-shaped slots antenna for WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetic Research Letters, Vol. 17, 115-123, 2010.
15. Mobashsher, A. T., M. T. Islam, and N. Misran, "A novel high-gain dual-band antenna for RFID reader applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 653-656, 2010.
16. Tung, H. C. and K. L. Wong, "A shorted microstrip antenna for 2.4/5.2 GHz dual-band operation," Microwave Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 30, 401-402, 2001.
17. Peng, L., C.-L. Ruan, and X.-H. Wu, "Design and operation of dual/triple-band asymmetric M-shaped microstrip patch antennas," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 10, 1069-1072, 2010.
18. Meng, F. and S. Sharma, "A single feed dual-band (2.4 GHz/5 GHz) miniaturized patch antenna for wireless local area network (WLAN) communications," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 30, No. 18, 2390-2402, 2016.
19. Abdulraheem, Y. I., G. A. Oguntala, A. S. Abdullah, H. J. Mohammed, R. A. Ali, R. A. Abd- Alhameed, and J. M. Noras, "Design of frequency reconfigurable multiband compact antenna using two PIN diodes for WLAN/WiMAX applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 11, No. 8, 1098-1105, 2017.
20. Tekin, I. and M. Knox, "Reconfigurable microstrip patch antenna for WLAN software defined radio applications," Microwave Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, 644-649, 2012.
21. Behera, S. and K. J. Vinoy, "Microstrip square ring antenna for dual band operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 93, 41-56, 2009.
22. Jung, C. W. and F. De Flaviis, "A dual-band antenna forWLAN applications by double rectangular patch with 4-bridges," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 4, 4280-4283, 2004.
23. CST Microwave Studio, , Version 2019.
24. Deshmukh, A. A., K. P. Rayand Ameya Kadam, "Analysis of slot cut broadband and dual band rectangular microstrip antennas," IETE Journal of Research, Vol. 59, No. 3, 193-200, 2013.