In this paper a novel branch-line printed inverted-F antenna (IFA) loaded with a rectangular complementary split-ring resonator (CSRR) is proposed, designed and experimentally studied. The proposed antenna shows four operating frequencies and can be used for various cellular and wireless applications (900 MHz/3.5 GHz/4.2 GHz/5.5 GHz). The antenna is compact in size having dimensions 0.059λ0 × 0.053λ0 × 0.002λ0 at the lowest resonance frequency. Each of the bands is independently tunable and shows circular polarisation (CP) in the WLAN band with linear polarization (LP) in the other three bands. The axial ratio (AR) bandwidth is 1.82% in WLAN band. The simulated and fabricated results are reported in terms of S-parameters and radiation pattern. The prototype of the antenna has been fabricated and measured using VNA and simulation done in ANSYS HFSS.
2. Wong, K. L., L. C. Chou, and C. M. Su, "Dual-band flat-plate antenna with a shorted parasitic element for laptop application," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 1, 539-544, 2005.
3. Abutarboush, H. F., H. Nasif, R. Nilavalan, and S. W. Cheung, "Multiband and wide monopole antenna for GSM900 and other wireless applications," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 539-542, 2012.
4. Chung, M. A. and W. H. Chang, "Low-cost, low-profile and miniaturized single-plane antenna design for an Internet of Thing device applications operating in 5G, 4G, V2X, DSRC, WiFi 6 band, WLAN, and WiMAX communication systems," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., 1-9, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1002/mop.32229.
5. Chandan, "Truncated ground plane multiband monopole antenna for WLAN and WiMAX applications," IETE Journal of Research, 1-6, 2020, DOI: 10.1080/03772063.2019.1709568.
6. Kumar, A., D. Jhanwar, and M. M. Sharma, "A compact printed multistubs loaded resonator rectangular monopole antenna design for multiband wireless systems," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aided Eng., Vol. 27, No. 9, 1-10, 2017.
7. Kim, D. O., C. Y. Kim, D. G. Yang, and M. S. Ahmad, "Multiband omnidirectional planar monopole antenna with two split ring resonator pairs," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 59, 753-758, 2017.
8. Kuo, Y. L., T. W. Chiou, and K. L. Wong, "A novel dual-band printed inverted-F antenna," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 31, No. 5, 353-355, 2001.
9. Khaldi, M. A., "A highly compact multiband antenna for Bluetooth/WLAN, Wi-MAX, And Wi-Fi applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 59, No. 1, 77-80, 2017.
10. Pazin, L., N. Telzhensky, and Y. Leviatan, "Multiband flat-plate inverted-F antenna forWi-Fi/WiMAX operation," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 7, 197-200, 2008.
11. Chiu, C. W. and Y. J. Chi, "Planar hexa-band inverted-F antenna for portable device applications," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1099-1102, 2009.
12. Hu, C. L., D. L. Huang, H. L. Kuo, C. F. Yang, C. L. Liao, and S. T. Lin, "Compact multibranch inverted-F antenna to be embedded in a laptop computer for LTE/WWAN/IMT-E applications," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 838-841, 2010.
13. Midya, M., S. Bhattacharjee, G. K. Das, and M. Mitra, "Dual-band dual-polarized compact planar monopole antenna for wide axial ratio bandwidth application," Int. J. RF Microw. Comput. Aided Eng., 2020, https://doi.org/10.1002/mmce.22152.
14. Row, J. S. and K. W. Lin, "Low-profile design of dual-frequency and dual-polarised triangular microstrip antennas," Electron Lett., Vol. 40, 156-157, 2004.
15. Kumar, P., S. Dwari, and R. K. Saini, "Triple band dual polarized CPW-fed planar monopole antenna," Wireless Personal Commun., Vol. 99, 431-440, 2018.
16. Wang, Y., X. Li, L. Yang, S. X. Gong, X. Y. Feng, and J. X. Wang, "Compact triple-band dual-polarized microstrip patch antenna for wireless applications," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, 778-783, 2014.
17. Saxena, S., B. K. Kanaujia, S. Dwari, S. Kumar, and R. Tiwari, "A compact microstrip fed dual polarised multiband antenna for IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax applications," AEU --- Int. J. Electron Commun., Vol. 72, 95-103, 2017.
18. Midya, M., S. Bhattacharjee, and M. Mitra, "Compact cpw-fed circularly polarized antenna for WLAN application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 67, 65-73, 2018.
19. Casula, G. A., P. Maxia, G. Mazzarella, and G. Montisci, "Design of a printed log-periodic dipole array for ultra-wideband applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 38, 15-26, 2013.
20. Kuo, Y. L. and K. L. Wong, "Coplanar waveguide-fed folded inverted-F antenna for UMTS applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 32, No. 5, 364-366, 2002.
21. Ozanazi, V. and V. B. Erturk, "A comparative investigation of SRR-and CSRR-based band-reject filters: Simulation, Experiments, and discussions," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 50, No. 2, 519-523, 2008.
22. Bonache, J., F. Martin, F. Falcone, J. D. Baena, T. Lopetegi, J. Garcia-Garcia, M. A. G. Laso, I. Gil, A. Marcotegui, R. Marques, and M. Sorolla, "Application of complementary split-ring resonators to the design of compact narrow band-pass structures in microstrip technology," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 46, No. 5, 508-512, 2005.
23. Bonache, J., I. Gil, J. Garcıa-Garcıa, and F. Martın, "Novel microstrip bandpass filters based on complementary split-ring resonators," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 54, No. 1, 265-271, 2006.