In this paper, a new monopole compact antenna with tunable frequency fed by a coplanar waveguide (CPW) for WiMAX, WLAN, LTE bands, and X-band satellite communication system is presented. This is achieved by adequate combination of a new radiating patch element along with slots and switches. The simulation and measurement results show that depending on ON/OFF states, the proposed reconfigurable antenna, printed on an FR4 substrate, can operate in four applicable frequency bands, i.e., [2.37-2.75 GHz], [3.15-4.08 GHz], [4.48-5.92 GHz], and [6.69-8.31 GHz]. Very interesting results for the reflection coefficient, current distribution, and radiation pattern of the antenna are presented and discussed. The measured results are in good agreement with the simulated ones.
2. Bouslama, M. and A. Gharsallah, "Beam switching antenna with a new reconfigurable frequency selective surface," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 1159-1162, 2016.
3. Selvam, Y. P. and M. G. N. Alsath, "A low-profile frequency- and pattern-reconfigurable antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 3047-3050, 2017.
4. Fertas, F., M. Challal, and K. Fertas, "Miniaturized quintuple band antenna for multiband applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 89, 83-92, 2020.
5. Fertas, F., M. Challal, and K. Fertas, "Design and implementation of a miniaturized CPW-fed microstrip antenna for triple-band applications," 2017 5th International Conference on Electrical Engineering-Boumerdes (ICEE-B), 1-6, Boumerdes, 2017.
6. Zhen, S., V. Mohammad, L. Weiwei, Y. Shuai, and S. Atif, "Additively manufactured frequency/radiation pattern reconfigurable antenna based on monolithically printed VO2 switch," 13th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP 2019), 2019.
7. Majid, H. A., M. K. Abdul Rahim, M. R. Hamid, N. A. Murad, and M. F. Ismail, "Frequency-reconfigurable microstrip patch-slot antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 218-220, 2013.
8. Yang, S., A. Kishk, and K. Lee, "Frequency reconfigurable U-slot microstrip patch antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 127-129, 2008.
9. Fertas, K., F. Ghanem, A. Azrar, and R. Aksas, "UWB antenna with sweeping dual notch based on metamaterial SRR fictive rotation," MOTL — Microw. and Optic. Technol. Lett., Vol. 62, No. 2, 956-963, 2020.
10. Mak, C. R., R. Murch, and M. Chi-Lun, "Reconfigurable multiband antenna designs for wireless communication devices," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 7, 1919-1928, Jul. 2007.
11. Abu Tarboush, H. F., R. Nilavalan, S. W. Cheung, K. M. Nasr, T. Peter, D. Budimir, and H. Al- Raweshidy, "A reconfigurable wideband and multiband antenna using dual-patch elements for compact wireless devices," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 1, 36-43, Jan. 2012.
12. Guo, Y. and A. Weily, "A frequency-reconfigurable Quasi-Yagi dipole antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 883-886, 2010.
13. Abu Tarboush, H. F., R. Nilavalan, K. Nasr, S. W. Cheung, T. Peter, H. Al-Raweshidy, and D. Budimir, "Reconfigurable tri-band H-shaped antenna with frequency selectivity feature for compact wireless communication systems," IET Microwave Antennas Propag., Vol. 5, 1675-1682, Nov. 18, 2011.
14. Lai, M., T. Wu, J. Hsieh, C. Wang, and S. Jeng, "Design of reconfigurable antennas based on an L-shaped slot and PIN diodes for compact wireless devices," IET Microwaves Antennas Propag., Vol. 3, No. 1, 47-54, Feb. 2009.
15. Mak, A., C. Rowell, R. Murch, and M. Chi-Lun, "Reconfigurable multiband antenna designs for wireless communication devices," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 7, 1919-1928, Jul. 2007.
16. Behdad, N. and K. Sarabandi, "Dual-band reconfigurable antenna with a very wide tunability range," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 2, 409-416, Feb. 2006.
17. Kim, D., J. Lee, C. Cho, and T. Lee, "Design of a compact tri-band PIFA based on independent control of the resonant frequencies," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, 1428-1436, 2008.
18. Alkanhal, K. M. and A. F. Sheta, "A novel dual-band reconfigurable square-ring microstrip antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 70, 337-349, 2007.
19. Verma, A. and M. S. Parihar, "Multifunctional antenna with reconfigurable ultra-wide band characteristics," Radio Engineering, Vol. 26, No. 3, 647-654, 2017.
20. Osman, M. N., M. K. A. Rahim, P. Gardner, M. R. Hamid, M. F. M. Yusoff, and H. A. Majid, "An electronically reconfigurable patch antenna design for polarization diversity with fixed resonant frequency," Radio Engineering, Vol. 24, No. 1, 45-53, 2015.
21. Mansoul, A., "Switchable multiband slot antenna for 2.4, 3.5 and 5.2 GHz applications," MOTL — Microw. and Optic. Technol. Lett., Vol. 59, No. 11, 2903-2907, 2017.
22. Mansoul, A., et al., "Frequency reconfigurable antenna for cognitive radios with sequential UWB mode of perception," Intern. Journal of Microw. and Wirel. Technol., 1-7, 2018.
23. Boudaghi, H., M. Azarmanesh, and M. Mehranpor, "A frequency-reconfigurable monopole antenna using switchable slotted ground structure," IEEE Antenna and Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 655-658, Jun. 2012.
24. Fertas, F., M. Challal, and K. Fertas, "Design and implementation of a multiband Quasi-Yagi antenna," International Conference on Advanced Electrical Engineering (ICAEE), 1-5, Algiers, Algeria, 2019.
25. Fertas, K., S. Tebache, F. Ghanem, S. Tedjini, and R. Aksas, "Non-conventional multiband patch antenna design with filtering aspect based on genetic algorithm," IETE Journal of Research, 2019, DOI:10.1080/03772063.2019.1634496.
26. Mansoul, A. and M. L. Seddiki, "Multiband reconfigurable Bowtie slot antenna using switchable slot extensions for WiFi, WiMAX, and WLAN applications," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 60, 413-418, 2018.
27. Lim, M. C., S. K. A. Rahim, M. R. Hamid, P. J. Soh, and A. Eteng, "Semi-transparent frequency reconfigurable antenna with DGS," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 60, 6-13, 2017.
28. Mansoul, A. and F. Ghanem, "Frequency reconfigurable antenna for cognitive radios with sequential UWB mode of perception and multiband mode of operation," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, 1-7, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1017/.
29. Nguyen-Trong, N., L. Hall, and C. Fumeaux, "A dual-band dual-pattern frequency reconfigurable antenna," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 59, 2710-2715, 2017.