A compact tri-band antenna is designed and analyzed to achieve both transmission and reception of direct broadcast service (DBS) and fixed satellite service (FSS) in Ku band. The proposed antenna design consists of a truncated E-shaped slot, eight rectangular slots, two C-shaped slots in the patch and eight defected ground structure (DGS) slots. The three frequency bands of 11.40-12.91 GHz, 13.86-14.53 GHz, and 17.20-17.86 GHz are achieved with impedance bandwidths of 12.32%, 4.73%, and 3.77% respectively. Conversely, the measured frequency bands of 11.40-12.98 GHz, 14.21-14.86 GHz, and 17.41-18.98 GHz with the impedance bandwidth of 12.70%, 4.48%, and 8.63% respectively are obtained. The simulated results of the proposed antenna are compared with the results of fabricated antenna and are found to be satisfactory for reflection coefficient, impedance bandwidth, polarization, efficiency, gain, and radiation pattern. Moreover, the proposed antenna design can be used as an element in an array configuration to achieve high gain in both transmission and reception modes of FSS and DBS.
2. Kumar, G. and K. Ray, Broadband Microstrip Antennas, Artech House, 2002.
3. James, J. R. and P. S. Hall, Handbook of Microstrip Antennas, 28, IET, 1989.
4. Vijayvergiya, P. L. and R. K. Panigrahi, "Single-layer single-patch dual band antenna for satellite applications," IET Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 11, No. 5, 664-669, 2016.
5. Kouhalvandi, L., S. Paker, and H. B. Yagci, "Ku-band slotted rectangular patch array antenna design," 2015 23th IEEE Signal Processing and Communications Applications Conf. (SIU), 447-450, 2015.
6. Parikh, H., S. V. Pandey, and M. Sahoo, "Design of a modified E-shaped dual band patchantenna for Ku band application," Proceedings International Conference on Communication Systems and Network Technologies, CSNT, 49-52, Rajkot, India, 2012.
7. Saini, G. S. and R. Kumar, "A low profile patch antenna for Ku-band applications," International Journal of Electronics Letters, 1-11, 2019.
8. Dubey, S. K., S. K. Pathak, and K. K. Modh, "High gain multiple resonance Ku band microstrip patch antenna," IEEE Applied Electromagnetics Conf. (AEMC), 1-3, 2011.
9. Prasad, P. C. and N. Chattoraj, "Design of compact ku band microstrip antenna for satellite communication ," 2013 Int. Conf. Communications and Signal Processing (ICCSP), 196-200, 2013.
10. Sayed, A., R. S. Ghonam, and A. Zekry, "Design of a compact dual band microstrip antenna for Ku-band applications," International Journal of Computer Applications, Vol. 115, No. 13, 11-14, 2015.
11. Mao, Y., S. Guo, and M. Chen, "Compact dual-band monopole antenna with defected ground plane for Internet of things," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 12, No. 8, 1332-1338, 2018.
12. Nguyen Thi, T., K. C. Hwang, and H. B. Kim, "Dual-band circularly-polarised Spidron fractal microstrip patch antenna for Ku-band satellite communication applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 49, No. 7, 444-445, 2013.
13. Khare, A. and R. Nema, "Triple band parasitic array antenna for C-X-Ku-band application using out-of-phase coupling approach," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, 2014.
14. Mathew, S., R. Anitha, U. Deepak, C. K. Aanandan, P. Mohanan, and K. Vasudevan, "A compact tri-band dual-polarized corner-truncated sectoral patch antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 12, 5842-5845, 2015.
15. Samsuzzaman, M., M. T. Islam, N. Misran, and M. M. Ali, "Dual band X shape microstrip patch antenna for satellite applications," Procedia Technology, Vol. 11, 1223-1228, 2013.
16. Naghar, A., O. Aghzout, M. Essaaidi, A. Alejos, M. Sanchez, and F. Falcone, "Ultra wideband and tri-band antennas for satellite applications at C-, X-, and Ku bands," Proceedings of 2014 Mediterranean Microwave Symposium (MMS2014), 1-5, IEEE, December 2014.
17. Dhakad, S. K. and T. Bhandari, "A hexagonal broadband compact microstrip monopole antenna for C band, X band and Ku band applications," 2017 International Conference on Computing, Communication and Automation (ICCCA), 1532-1536, IEEE, May 2017.
18. Baudha, S. and V. Dinesh Kumar, "Corner truncated broadband patch antenna with circular slots," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, No. 4, 845-849, 2015.
19. Gupta, A., H. D. Joshi, and R. Khanna, "An X-shaped fractal antenna with DGS for multiband applications," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 9, No. 5, 1075-1083, 2017.
20. Nguyen Thi, T., K. C. Hwang, and H. B. Kim, "Dual-band circularly-polarised Spidron fractal microstrip patch antenna for Ku-band satellite communication applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 49, No. 7, 444-445, 2013.
21. Lai, H. W., D. Xue, H. Wong, K. K. So, and X. Y. Zhang, "Broadband circularly polarized patch antenna arrays with multiple-layers structure," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 525-528, 2016.
22. Deng, R., S. Xu, F. Yang, and M. Li, "A single-layer high-efficiency wideband reflectarray using hybrid design approach," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 884-887, 2016.
23. Huang, J., W. Lin, F. Qiu, C. Jiang, D. Lei, and Y. Jay Guo, "A low profile, ultra-lightweight, high efficient circularly-polarized antenna array for Ku band satellite applications," IEEE Access, Vol. 5, 18356-18365, 2017.
24. Darimireddy, N. K., R. R. Reddy, and A. M. Prasad, "A miniaturized hexagonal-triangular fractal antenna for wide-band applications [Antenna Applications Corner]," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 60, No. 2, 104-110, 2018.
25. Jang, H. K., J. H. Shin, and C. G. Kim, "Low RCS patch array antenna with electromagnetic bandgap using a conducting polymer," IEEE International Conference in Electromagnetics Advance Applications, 140143, Sydney, Australia, 2010.
26. Dhawan Singhand Viranjay, M. Srivastava, "Comparative analyses for RCS of patch antenna using shorted stubs metamaterial absorber," Journal of Engineering Science and Technology (JESTEC), Vol. 13, No. 11, 3532-3546, November 2018.
27. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed., John Wiley and Sons Inc, New York, 2005.