Wide bandwidth and high gain designs of sectoral microstrip antennas gap-coupled with parasitic arc shape patches are proposed. In 1800 MHz frequency band, optimum response with bandwidth of more than 50% and peak gain of 10 dBi is obtained for 30° sectoral angle employing two gap-coupled arc shape patches. Further gap-coupled variations of slot cut single arc shape patch with 60° sectoral patch is presented. This design yields bandwidth of above 930 MHz (~53%) with peak gain of more than 10 dBi. The comparison for the proposed gap-coupled sectoral variations with reported antennas is presented. Proposed gap-coupled sectoral configurations are single layer and thus simple in design and yet offers bandwidth and gain of larger than 50% and 10 dBi, respectively.
2. James, J. R. and P. S. Hall, Handbook of Microstrip Antennas Vol. I, London Peter Peregrinus, 1989.
3. Kumar, G. and K. P. Ray, Broadband Microstrip Antennas, 1st Ed., Artech House, USA, 2003.
4. Wong, K. L., Compact and Broadband Microstrip Antennas, 1st Ed., John Wiley & sons, Inc., New York, USA, 2002.
5. Wu, C. K. and K. L. Wong, "Broadband microstrip antenna with directly coupled and parasitic patches," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 22, No. 5, 348-349, 1999.
6. Tiwari, R. N., P. Singh, and B. K. Kanaujia, "Butter fly shape compact microstrip antenna for wideband applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 69, 45-50, 2017.
7. Lee, H. F. and W. Chen, Advances in Microstrip and Printed Antennas, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1997.
8. Chen, Y., S. Yang, and Z. Nie, "Bandwidth enhancement method for low profile E-shaped microstrip patch antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 7, 2442-2447, 2010.
9. Deshmukh, A. A. and G. Kumar, "Compact broadband rectangular microstrip antennas," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, No. 6, 1043-1046, 2006.
10. Wadkar, S., B. Hogade, R. Chopra, and G. Kumar, "Broadband and high gain stacked microstrip antenna array," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, 1-7, 2019, https://doi.org/10.1002/mop.31813.
11. Ray, K. P., S. Ghosh, and K. Nirmala, "Multilayer multiresonator circular microstrip antennas for broadband and dual-band operations," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 47, No. 5, 489-494, 2005.
12. Ansari, J. A., N. P. Yadav, A. Mishra, P. Singh, and B. R. Vishvakarma, "Analysis of multilayer rectangular patch antenna for broadband operation," Wireless Personal Communication, Vol. 62, 315-327, 2012.
13. Yeung, S. H. and C.-F. Wang, "Study of a parasitic U-slotpatch array antenna with characteristic mode analysis," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 60, 482-488, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1002/mop.30992.
14. Chen, H.-D., C.-Y.-D. Sim, J.-Y. Wu, and T.-W. Chiu, "Broadband high-gain microstrip array antennas for WiMAX base station," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 8, 3977-3980, 2012.
15. Lee, S.-R., E.-H. Lim, and F.-L. Lo, "Broadband single-layer E-patch reflectarray," Radioengineering, Vol. 26, No. 1, 97-106, 2017.
16. Cao, W., X. Lv, Q. Wang, Y. Zhao, and X. Yang, "Wideband circularly polarized Fabry-Perot resonator antenna in Ku band," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 18, No. 4, 586-590, 2019.
17. Hannachi, C., D. Tarek, and S. O. Tatu, "Broadband waveguide-fed 8-by-1 gap-coupled microstrip antenna array for 60-GHz short-range point-to-point wireless communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 83, 7-14, 2019.
18. Elboushi, A. and A. Sebak, "High-gain hybrid microstrip/conical horn antenna for MMW applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 129-132, 2012.
19. Kumar, H. and G. Kumar, "A broadband planar modified Quasi-Yagi using log-periodic antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 73, 23-30, 2018.
20. Sakthi Abirami, B. and E. F. Sundarsingh, "EBG-backed flexible printed Yagi-Uda Antenna For On-Body Communication," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 7, 3762-3765, 2017.
21. CST Microwave Studio suite, Version 2019, .
22. Deshmukh, A. A. and S. B. Deshmukh, "Wide band designs of 60◦ sectoral microstrip antenna using parasitic angular sectoral patches," Proceedings of ICWiCOM 2017, Mumbai, India, January 19-20, 2018, https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-981-10-8339-6 24.