With technical advancement and development, the amount of electronic equipment is increasing, while the functions of products are enhanced, and the routing density of Printed Circuit Boards (PCBs) becomes larger. In the electronic industry, medical instruments are used to diagnose, treat, mitigate or prevent human diseases, and maintain and promote health. Industrial PCs for medical use and their accessories should be immune to interference from external electromagnetic noise, and should not become interference sources of electromagnetic noise radiation, so they have become issues of interest with respect to ensuring safety of medical equipments in medical operation environments in recent years. This research relates to parametric design using the Taguchi Method in the early stage of product development for medical-grade touch panel computers. In considering the use of Radiated Emission (RE) in Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC) as a response value, the experiment covers control factors such as PCB and mechanism design related parameters. In addition, peripheral devices used in conjunction with a product are considered as noise factors when the product is in use, while interaction between the control factors is studied. The Taguchi Method is used to select an appropriate inner/outer orthogonal array, and a response diagram and a variance method are used for analysis to provide an optimal set of design parameters, in which the number of routing layers of a riser card is 6; the EMI filter on the isolated card is 600 Ω; the shunt capacity for the clock on main board is 33p; and the isolated card is grounded. Moreover, it is found that an interaction exists between the number of routing layers of the riser card and the EMI filter of the isolated card. From the result of the experiment, with such a set of parameters, the SN (Signal to Noise Ratio) lies in the confidence interval, indicating good reproducibility of the experiment. Such a parametric design effectively improves the electromagnetic interference (EMI) characteristics of a product to meet design specifications required by customers, accelerate the R&D process of electronic products, and pass EMI test regulations required by various countries in order to improve industrial competitiveness.
2. Adams, R., "Low-cost EMI troubleshooting techniques," IEEE, 460-465, Anaheim, CA, USA, 1996.
3. Aksoy, H., "EMI filter design to comply with military standards," IEEE, 1-6, Gdansk, Poland, 2014.
4. Bait-Suwailam, M., B. Alavikia, and O. Ramahi, "Reduction of electromagnetic radiation from apertures and enclosures using electromagnetic bandgap structures," IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 4, No. 5, 929-937, 2014.
5. Çaydas, U. and S. Ekici, "Support vector machines models for surface roughness prediction in CNC turning of AISI 304 austenitic stainless steel," Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing, Vol. 23, No. 3, 639-650, 2012.
6. Chen, C. and C. Huang, "Improve electromagnetic interference of electronic products with Taguchi parametric design," Measurement, Vol. 102, 200-207, 2017.
7. Chou, H., et al., "Analysis and treatment of u-shape PCB I/O ports to reduce the EMI from image-plane noise," IEEE Transactions on Components, Packaging and Manufacturing Technology, Vol. 1, No. 3, 446-452, 2011.
8. Colotti, J., "EMC design fundamentals," IEEE, 1-2, Long Island, NY, USA, 2006.
9. Dabek, M., et al., "High immunity wafer-level measurement of MHz current," Measurement, Vol. 94, 474-479, 2016.
10. De Miguel-Bilbao, S., J. Blas, and V. Ramos, "Effective analysis of human exposure conditions with body-worn dosimeters in the 2.4 GHz band," Journal of Visualized Experiments, Vol. 135, 56525, 2018.
11. De Miguel-Bilbao, S., V. Ramos, and J. Blas, "Responses to comments on assessment of polarization dependence of body shadow effect on dosimetry measurements in the 2.4 GHz band," Biolectromagnetics, Vol. 38, 650-652, 2017.
12. Han, S. M., J. J. Bang, C. S. Huh, and J. S. Choi, "A PCB noise analysis regarding emp penetration using an electromagnetic topology method," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 122, 15-27, 2012.
13. Huang, C. and C. Chen, "Improve electromagnetic compatibility of electronic products with multivariate parametric design," Microelectronics International, Vol. 34, No. 1, 45-55, 2017.
14. International Commission on Non-Ionizing Radiation Protection (ICNIRP), "Guidelines for limiting exposure to time-varying electric, magnetic and electromagnetic fields (up to 300 GHz)," Health Phys., Vol. 74, 494-522, 1998.
15. Kchikach, M., A. Elhasnanoui, K. Zazi, and Z. Qian, "The Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) affect on power supply of Telecom equipment," IEEE, 83-86, Beijing, China, 2010.
16. Kim, S., H. Choi, S. An, and N. Kim, "Application of cascode level shifter for EMI reduction in LCD driver IC," Microelectronics International, Vol. 32, No. 2, 73-80, 2015.
17. Lai, W. and J. Huang, "A study of EMI and ESD troubleshooting between handheld connector and grounding," IEEE, 517-520, Taipei, Taiwan, 2015.
18. Lau, C., et al., "Thermo-mechanical challenges of reflowed lead-free solder joints in surface mount components: A review," Soldering & Surface Mount Technology, Vol. 28, No. 2, 41-62, 2016.
19. Lin, J., et al., "Electromagnetic shielding of multiwalled, bamboo-like carbon nanotube/methyl vinyl silicone composite prepared by liquid blending," Composite Interfaces, Vol. 21, No. 6, 553-569, 2014.
20. Liu, G., "EMI caused by a grounding loop," IEEE, 114-117, Beijing, China, 1997.
21. Luo, F., et al., "Improving high-frequency performance of an input common mode EMI filter using an impedance-mismatching filter," IEEE Transactions on Power Electronics, Vol. 29, No. 10, 5111-5115, 2014.
22. Uusitupa, T., I. Laakso, S. Ilvonen, and K. Nikoskinen, "SAR variation study from 300 to 5000 MHz for 15 voxelmodels including different postures," Phys. Med. Bio., Vol. 55, 1157-1176, 2010.
23. Virkki, J., L. Syd¨anheimo, and P. Raumonen, "Modifications of the 85/85 test and the temperature cycling test for tantalum capacitors," Soldering & Surface Mount Technology, Vol. 23, No. 3, 168-176, 2011.
24. Zhang, K., H. Yuan, and P. Nie, "A method for tool condition monitoring based on sensor fusion," Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing, Vol. 26, No. 5, 1011-1026, 2015.
25. Zhang, W., X. Zhang, and Y. Zhang, "Robust pattern recognition for measurement of three dimensional weld pool surface in GTAW," Journal of Intelligent Manufacturing, Vol. 26, No. 4, 659-676, 2015.
26. Zhao, D., J. A. Ferreira, and H. Polinder, "Investigation of EMI noise transfer characteristic of variable speed drive system," IEEE, 603-608, Taormina, Italy, 2006.