A microstrip-fed two-port multiple-input-multiple-output (MIMO) antenna has been designed for triple-band applications covering the entire ultra-wideband (UWB) with one band-notched characteristic. A defected ground structure (DGS) has been used to obtain a wideband resonance. A crescent ring has been etched on each of the two circular patch antennas to produce a band-notch characteristic centered at 5 GHz, ranging from 3.96 to 6.2 GHz. These introduce notches at 5.2/5.8 WLAN, 5.5 WiMAX, LMI C-Band and also reject the large capacity microwave relay trunk network, ranging from 4.40 to 4.99 GHz, such as in the Indian national satellite (INSAT) system operating between 4.5 and 4.8 GHz, thus making our MIMO antenna immune to many unlicensed bands. The proposed MIMO antenna elements have been isolated by more than 16 dB throughout the operating band using a modified inter-digital capacitor (MIDC) placed between the circular patch antennas. The MIDC also helps in achieving a center-band, ranging from 6.2 to 8.93 GHz, and is useful in IEEE INSAT/Super Extended C-band. The lower-band ranges from 3.08 to 3.96 GHz and covers 3.5 GHz WiMAX while the upper-band, ranging from 10 to 16 GHz, is useful for X-band and Ku-band applications. Finally, the MIMO antenna has been fabricated on an FR-4 substrate of dimensions 50×30×1.6 mm3 with a compact antenna area of 0.158λ02. All results along with the diversity performance have been experimentally verified.
2. Almalkawi, M. J. and V. K. Devabhaktuni, "Quad band-notched UWB antenna compatible with WiMAX/INSAT/lower-upperWLAN applications," Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, No. 19, 1062-1063, Sept. 2011.
3. Kumar, A., A. Q. Ansari, B. K. Kanaujia, and J. Kishor, "High isolation compact four-port MIMO antenna loaded with CSRR for multiband applications," Frequenz, 2018.
4. Iglesias, E. R., Ó. Q. Teruel, and L. I. Sánchez, "Mutual coupling reduction in patch antenna arrays by using a planar ebg structure and a multilayer dielectric substrate," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 56, No. 6, 1648-1655, Jun. 2008.
5. Li, Q., A. P. Feresidis, M. Mavridou, and P. S. Hall, "Miniaturized double-layer EBG structures for broadband mutual coupling reduction between UWB monopoles," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 63, No. 3, 1168-1171, Mar. 2015.
6. Habashi, A., J. Nourinia, and C. Ghobadi, "Mutual coupling reduction between very closely spaced patch antennas using low-profile Folded Split-Ring Resonators (FSRRs)," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 862-865, Jul. 2011.
7. Suwailam, M. M. B., O. F. Siddiqui, and O. M. Ramahi, "Mutual coupling reduction between microstrip patch antennas using slotted-complementary split-ring resonators," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 876-878, Aug. 2010.
8. Ouyang, J., F. Yang, and Z. M. Wang, "Reducing mutual coupling of closely spaced microstrip MIMO antennas for WLAN application," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 310-313, Mar. 2011.
9. Zhang, S. and G. F. Pedersen, "Mutual coupling reduction for UWB MIMO antennas with a wideband neutralization line," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 166-169, May 2015.
10. Gangwar, D., S. Das, and R. L. Yadava, "Reduction of mutual coupling in metamaterial based microstrip antennas: The progress in last decade," Wireless Pers. Commun., Springer, Mar. 2014.
11. Tao, J. and Q. Feng, "Compact UWB band-notch MIMO antenna with embedded antenna element for improved band notch filtering," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 67, 117-125, 2016.
12. Atallah, H. A., A. B. Abdel-Rahman, K. Yoshitomi, and R. K. Pokharel, "CPW-fed UWB antenna with sharp and high rejection multiple notched bands using stub loaded meander line resonator," International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 83, 22-31, May 2017.
13. Mansouri, Z., F. B. Zarrabi, and A. S. Arezoomand, "Multi notch-band CPW-fed circular-disk UWB antenna using underground filter," International Journal of Electronics Letters, Vol. 6, No. 2, 204-213, 2018.
14. Tsai, L.-C., "A ultrawideband antenna with dual-band band-notch filters," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 59, 1861-1866, 2017.
15. Yin, Y. and J. S. Hong, "UWB band-notched adjustable antenna using concentric split-ring slots structure," Frequenz, Vol. 68, No. 9-10, 433-439, 2014.
16. Zarrabi, F. B., Z. Mansouri, N. P. Gandji, and H. Kuhestani, "Triple-notch UWB monopole antenna with fractal Koch and T-shaped stub," AEU --- International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 70, No. 1, 64-69, 2016.
17. Chandel, R., A. K. Gautam, and K. Rambabu, "Tapered fed compact UWB MIMO-diversity antenna with dual band-notched characteristics," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 66, No. 4, 1677-1684, Apr. 2018.
18. Li, W. T, Y. Q. Hei, H. Subbaraman, X. W. Shi, and R. T. Chen, "Novel printed filtenna with dual notches and good out-of-band characteristics for UWB MIMO applications," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 26, No. 10, 765-767, Oct. 2016.
19. Zhu, J., B. Feng, B. Peng, S. Li, and L. Deng, "Compact CPW UWB diversity slot antenna with dual band-notched characteristics ," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 58, No. 4, 989-994, Feb. 2016.
20. Tang, T. C. and K. H. Lin, "An ultrawideband MIMO antenna with dual band-notched function," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 1076-1079, 2014.
21. Lee, J. M., K. B. Kim, H. K. Ryu, and J. M. Woo, "A compact ultrawideband MIMO antenna with WLAN band-rejected operation for mobile devices," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 990-993, 2012.
22. Gao, P., S. He, X. Wei, Z. Xu, N. Wang, and Y. Zheng, "Compact printed UWB diversity slot antenna with 5.5-GHz band-notched characteristics," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 376-379, 2014.
23. Chacko, B. P., G. Augustin, and T. A. Denidni, "Uniplanar polarisation diversity antenna for ultrawideband systems," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 7, No. 10, 851-857, Jul. 2013.
24. Kang, L., H. Li, X. Wang, and X. Shi, "Compact offset microstrip-fed MIMO antenna for band-notched UWB applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 1754-1757, 2015.
25. Liu, L., S. W. Cheung, and T. I. Yuk, "Compact MIMO antenna for portable devices in UWB applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 61, No. 8, 4257-4264, Aug. 2013.
26. Toktas, A., "G-shaped band-notched ultra-wideband MIMO antenna system for mobile terminals," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 11, No. 5, 718-725, Apr. 2017.
27. Yoon, H., Y. Yoon, H. Kim, and C.-H. Lee, "Flexible ultra-wideband polarization diversity antenna with band-notch function," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 5, 1463-1470, 2011.
28. Wu, W., B. Yuan, and A.Wu, "A quad-element UWB MIMO antenna with band-notch and reduced mutual coupling based on EBG structures ," Int. J. Antennas Propag., Vol. 2018, Feb. 2018.
29. Chandel, R. and A. K. Gautam, "Compact MIMO/diversity slot antenna for UWB applications with band-notched characteristic," Electronics Letters, Vol. 52, No. 5, 336-338, Mar. 2016.
30. Ellis, M. S., Z. Zhao, J. Wu, Z. Nie, and Q. Liu, "A novel miniature bandnotched Wing-Shaped monopole ultrawideband antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, No. 1, 1614-1617, 2013.
31. Alley, G. D., "Interdigital capacitors and their application to lumped-element microwave integrated circuits," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 18, No. 12, 1028-1033, Dec. 1970.