The article presents a new topology of the high-speed synchronous electrical machines with permanent magnets with the tooth-coil windings with a stator magnetic core made of amorphous alloys for prospective unmanned aerial vehicles. This is a multidisciplinary design algorithm with optimization elements, which are proposed to design such machines. Based on the proposed algorithm, calculations of several topologies were performed by using computer simulation methods. In addition, the analysis of the rotor dynamics as part of the turbojet engine of the unmanned aerial vehicle and the calculations of the mechanical rotor strength were performed. To minimize the eddy-current losses in permanent magnets, the multicriteria optimization of the slotted zone was carried out by using genetic algorithms. A cooling system was proposed, and thermal calculations were performed. To verify the proposed design algorithm and to evaluate the efficiency of the amorphous alloy, a full-sized 5 kW experimental sample with a rotational speed of 60,000 rpm was created. Results can be used to create new promising UAVs and to design electrical machines for other industrial applications.
2. Yun, J., S. Cho, H. C. Liu, H.-W. Lee, and J. Lee, "Design of electromagnetic field of permanent magnet generator for VTOL series-hybrid UAV," 2015 18th International Conference on Electrical Machines and Systems, ICEMS, 83-86, 2016.
3. Besnard, J.-P., F. Biais, and M. Martinez, "Electrical rotating machines and power electronics for new aircraft equipment systems," ICAS — Secretariat — 25th Congress of the International Council of the Aeronautical Sciences, 1-9, 2006.
4. Chun, J., H.-C. Song, M.-G. Kang, H. B. Kang, R. Kishore, and S. Priya, "Thermo-magneto-electric generator arrays for active heat recovery system," Sci. Rep., Vol. 7, No. 41383, 1-8, 2017.
5. Secttnde, R. R., R. P. Macosko, and D. S. Repas, "Integrate Engine — Generator concept for aircraft electric secondary power,", National Aeronautics and Space Administration, NASA/TM X 2579, Washington, D.C., June 1972.
6. Nukki, R., A. Kilk, A. Kallaste, T. Vaimann, and K. Sr. Tiimus, "Exterior-rotor permanent magnet synchronous machine with toroidal windings for unmanned aerial vehicles," 9th International: 2014 Electric Power Quality and Supply Reliability Conference, PQ, 215-220, 2014.
7. Vavilov, V. E., F. R. Ismagilov, I. K. Khayrullin, and R. D. Karimov, "Multi-disciplinary design of high-RPM electric generator with external rotor for unmanned aerial vehicle," International Review of Aerospace Engineering, Vol. 9, No. 4, 123-130, 2016.
8. Upadhayay, P. and V. Patwardhan, "Magnet eddy-current losses in external rotor permanent magnet generator," Proceedings of 2013 International Conference on Renewable Energy Research and Applications, ICRERA, Vol. 6749911, 1068-1071, 2013.
9. Koo, V. C., Y. K. Chan, and V. Gobi, "A new unmanned aerial vehicle synthetic aperture radar for environmental monitoring," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 122, 245-268, 2012.
10. Uzhegov, N., J. Pyrhonen, and S. Shirinskii, "Loss minimization in high-speed permanent magnet synchronous machines with tooth-coil windings," IECON Proceedings (Industrial Electronics Conference), Vol. 6699601, 2960-2965, 2013.
11. Nagorny, A., N. Dravid, R. Jansen, and B. Kenny, "Design aspects of a high speed permanent magnet synchronous motor/generator for flywheel applications,", NASA/TM-2005-213651, 1–7, 2005.
12. Chin, Y. K., "A permanent magnet synchronous motor for traction application of electric vehicle," IEEE Int. Electric Machines and Drive Conference, Vol. 2, 1035-1041, 2003.
13. Gieras, J. F., "High speed machines," Advancements in Electric Machines (Power Systems), 81-113, 2008.
14. Borisavljevic, A., H. Polinder, and J. Ferreira, "On the speed limits of permanent-magnet machines," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 57, No. 1, 220-227, 2010.
15. Vavro, J., M. Kianicova, J. Vavro, Jr., and A. Vavrova, "Modal and frequency analysis for rotor blades of turbo-jet engine TJ 100," University Review, Vol. 7, No. 4, 47-50, 2013.
16. Harris, M. M., A. C. Jones, and E. J. Alexande, "Miniature turbojet development at Hamilton Sundstrand the TJ-50, TJ-120 and TJ -30 turbojets," 2nd AIAA “Unmanned Unlimited” Systems, Technologies, and Operations, Aerospac, San Diego, California, 1–9, 2003.
17. Gruzkov, S. A., et al., "Electrical equipment of aircrafts. Power supply systems for aircraft,", Moscow Power Engineering Institute, Moscow, 2005.
18. Borg Bartolo, J., M. Degano, J. Espina, and C. Gerada, "Design and initial testing of a highspeed 45-kW switched reluctance drive for aerospace application," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 64, No. 2, Vol. 7592921, 988–997, 2016.
19., , Electric propulsion components with high power densities for aviation [Online], available: https://nari.arc.nasa.gov/sites/default/files/attachments/Korbinian-TVFW-Aug2015.pdf.
20. Ganev, E., "High-performance electric drives for aerospace more electric architectures," IEEE Power Engineering Society Meeting, 1-8, 2007.
21. Ganev, E., "Selecting the best electric machines for electrical power generation systems," IEEE Electrication Magazine, Vol. 2, No. 4, 13-22, 2014.
22. Wang, Z., et al., "Development of a permanent magnet motor utilizing amorphous wound cores," IEEE Trans. Magn., Vol. 46, No. 2, 570-573, 2010.
23. Wang, Z., et al., "Development of an axial gap motor with amorphous metal cores," IEEE Trans. Ind. Appl., Vol. 47, No. 3, 1293-1299, 2011.
24. Ruhrig, M., "Stator f¨ureineelektrische Maschine und Verfahrenzum Herstelleneines Stators f¨ureine elektrische Maschine,", Patent DE 102012207508 A1, 07.05.2012.
25. Yakupov, A., F. Ismagilov, I. Khayrullin, and V. Vavilov, "Method of designing high-speed generators for the biogas plant," International Journal of Renewable Energy Research, Vol. 6, No. 2, 447-454, 2016.
26. Uzhegov, N., E. Kurvinen, J. Nerg, J. T. Sopanen, and S. Shirinskii, "Multidisciplinary design process of a 6-slot 2-pole high-speed permanent-magnet synchronous machine," IEEE Transactions on Industrial Electronics, Vol. 63, No. 2, 784-795, 2016.
27. Zwyssig, C., J. W. Kolar, and S. D. Round, "Mega-speed drive systems: Pushing beyond 1 million RPM. Mechatronics," IEEE/ASME Transactions, Vol. 14, No. 5, 564-574, 2009.