This paper presents a novel frequency reconfigurable monopole antenna that has switchable notch characteristic at center frequency of 5.3 GHz. The proposed antenna consists of a defective ground structure (DGS) to enhance the impedance bandwidth from 3.17 to 13 GHz. The F-shaped parasitic element with three stubs (two vertical and one horizontal) are located on the back side of the radiating patch to achieve the band rejection characteristics from 4.9 GHz to 5.7 GHz. The metallic ground plane structure is connected or disconnected to the F-shape parasitic element through stubs by means of p-i-n diodes. Experimental demonstration of applications of the proposed antenna structure as 5.3 GHz notched band ultra-wideband (UWB) antenna with all diodes in the OFF-state and as 5.3 GHz radiator for wireless local area network (WLAN) with all diodes in the ON-state is reported. In both the cases, good agreements between measured and simulated return losses, radiation patterns and realized gains are observed.
2. Gheethan, A. A. and D. E. Anagnostou, "Dual band-reject UWB antenna with sharp rejection of narrow and closely-spaced bands," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 4, 2071-2076, Apr. 2012.
3. Khidre, A., F. Yang, and A. Z. Elsherbeni, "Patch antenna with a varactor-loaded slot for reconfigurable dual-band operation," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 2, 755-760, Feb. 2015.
4. Trad, I. B., J. M. Floch, H. Rmili, L. Laadhar, and M. Drissi, "Planar elliptic broadband antenna with wide range reconfigurable narrow notched bands for multi-standard wireless communication devices," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 145, 69-80, Feb. 2014.
5. Qui, P. Y., F. Wei, and Y. J. Guo, "Wideband-to-narrowband tunable antenna using a reconfigurable filter," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 63, No. 5, 2282-2285, May 2015.
6. Al-Zayed, A. S., M. A. Kourah, and S. F. Mahmoud, "Frequency-reconfigurable single and dualband designs of a multi-mode microstrip antenna," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 8, No. 13, 1105-1112, May 2014.
7. Tariq, A. and H. G. Shiraz, "Frequency-reconfigurable monopole antennas," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 1, 44-50, Jan. 2012.
8. Valizade, A., C. Ghobadi, J. Nourinia, and M. Ojaroudi, "A novel design of reconfigurable slot antenna with switchable band notch and multiresonance functions for UWB applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 1166-1169, Oct. 2012.
9. Ali, W. A. E and R. M. A. Moniem, "Frequency reconfigurable triple band-notched ultra-wideband antenna with compact size," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 73, 37-46, Apr. 2017.
10. Anagnostou, D. E., M. T. Chryssomallis, B. D. Braaten, J. L. Ebel, and N. Sepulveda, "Reconfigurable UWB antenna with RF-MEMS for on-demand WLAN rejection," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 62, No. 2, 602-608, Feb. 2014.
11. Nikolaou, S., N. D. Kingsley, G. E. Ponchak, J. Papapolymerou, and M. M. Tentzeris, "UWB elliptical monopoles with a reconfigurable band notch using MEMS switches actuated without bias lines," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 8, 2242-2251, Aug. 2009.
12. Loizeau, S. and A. Sibille, "Reconfigurable ultra-wideband monopole antenna with a continuously tunable band notch," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 8, No. 5, 346-350, Oct. 2013.
13. Badamchi, B., J. Nourinia, C. Ghobadi, and A. V. Shahmirzadi, "Design of compact reconfigurable ultra-wideband slot antenna with switchable single/dual band notch functions," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 8, No. 8, 541-548, Nov. 2013.
14. Kurra, L., M. P. Abegaonkar, A. Basu, and S. K. Koul, "Switchable and tunable notch in ultrawideband filter using electromagnetic bandgap structure," IEEE Microwave Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 24, No. 12, 839-841, Dec. 2014.
15. Gupta, K. C., R. Garg, I. J. Bhal, and P. Bhartia, Microstrip Lines and Slotlines, 2nd Ed., 10-15, Artech House, 1996.
16. Kumar, G. and K. P. Ray, Broadband Microstrip Antennas, 362-368, Artech House, 2003.
17., , Available at http://www.cst.com.
18. Rostamzadeh, M., S. Mohamadi, J. Nourinia, C. Ghobadi, and M. Ojaroudi, "Square monopole antenna for UWB applications with novel rod-shaped parasitic structures and novel v-shaped slots in the ground plane," IEEE Antenna Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 446-449, Mar. 2013.
19. Fereidoony, F., S. Chamaani, and S. A. Mirtaheri, "Systematic design of UWB monopole antenna with stable omnidirectional radiation pattern," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 752-755, Jul. 2012.
20., , Data sheet at https://cdn.macom.com/datasheets/MA4SPS402.pdf.