A novel concept of using slotted ground structure and a single circular split ring resonator (SRR) to achieve multiband operation from a miniaturized UWB antenna is presented in this paper. Initially a miniaturized volkswagen logo ultawideband (UWB) antenna having -10 dB impedance bandwidth of about 124% (2.9-12.4 GHz) in simulation and 116.7% (3.1-11.8 GHz) under measurement is designed. This miniaturization leads to about 10% increment in -10 dB reflection coefficient bandwidth and about 66.71% reduction in volume of the proposed UWB antenna as compared to the conventional circular antenna. In order to reconfigure the proposed UWB antenna to operate it at 1.5 (GPS), 3.5 (WiMAX), 5.2 and 5.8 GHz (WLAN) frequency bands, slotted ground structure with metamaterial is used. The proposed metamaterial is a circular split ring resonator (SRR) consisting of single circular ring and is placed on the slotted ground structure of the proposed antenna to achieve 1.5 GHz band. The proposed configuration has a volume of 0.290λ0×0.290λ0×0.015λ0 (30×30×1.6 mm3) at lower resonating band of 2.9 GHz and is fabricated on a widely available FR4 substrate with a loss tangent of 0.02 and dielectric constant of 4.4. Simulated and experimental results shows that the proposed design yields S11<-10 dB at the targeted frequencies. Good impedance matching, stable radiation characteristics with cross-polarization level less than -15 dB (both in E and H planes), VSWR<2, average gain of 3.09 dBi and radiation efficiency of more than 85% are observed at the designed band when the antenna is fabricated and tested.
2. Tang, M. C., T. Shi, and R. W. Ziolkowski, "Planar ultrawideband antennas with improved realized gain performance," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 64, No. 1, 61-69, 2016.
3. Kumar, M., A. Basu, and S. K. Koul, "UWB printed slot antenna with improved performance in time and frequency domains," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 18, 197-210, 2011.
4. Dang, L., Z. Y. Lei, Y. J. Xie, G. L. Ning, and J. Fan, "A compact microstrip slot triple-band antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," IEEE Antennas and Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 1178-1181, 2010.
5. Baek, S. and Y. Jee, "Compact integrated monopole antenna with CPW-fed meander resonators," Electron. Lett., Vol. 47, No. 2, 79-80, 2011.
6. Liu, P., Y. Zou, B. Xie, X. Liu, and B. Sun, "Compact CPW-fed tri-band printed antenna with meandering split-ring slot for WLAN/WiMAX applications," IEEE Antennas and Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 1242-1244, 2012.
7. Peyrot-Solis, M. A., J. A. Tirado-Mendez, and H. Jardon-Aguilar, "Design of multiband UWB planarized monopole using DMS technique," IEEE Antennas and Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 6, 77-79, 2007.
8. Zulkifli, F. Y., E. T. Rahardjo, and D. Hartanto, "Mutual coupling reduction using dumbbell defected ground structure for multiband microstrip antenna array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 13, 29-40, 2010.
9. Risco, S., J. Anguera, A. Andujar, A. Perez, and C. Puente, "Coupled monopole antenna design for multiband handset devices," Microw. Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 52, No. 2, 359-364, 2008.
10. Richards, W. F., S. E. Davidson, and S. A. Long, "Dual band, Reactively loaded microstrip antenna," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 33, 556-561, 1985.
11. Puente, C., J. Anguera, C. Borja, and J. Soler, "Fractal-Shaped antennas and their application to GSM 900/1800,", Vol. 2, 2001.
12. Jayasinghe, J. W., J. Anguera, and D. N. Uduwawala, "A simple design of multi band microstrip patch antennas robust to fabrication tolerances for GSM, UMTS, LTE, and Bluetooth applications by using genetic algorithm optimization," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 27, 255-269, 2012.
13. Hongnara, T., C. Mahattanajatuphat, P. Akkaraekthalin, and M. Krairiksh, "A multiband CPWfed slot antenna with fractal stub and parasitic line," Radioengineering, Vol. 21, No. 2, 597-605, 2012.
14. Zhang, S. M., F. S. Zhang, W. M. Li, W. Z. Li, and H. Y. Wu, "A multi-band monopole antenna with two different slots for WLAN and WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 28, 173-181, 2012.
15. Elsheakh, D. M. and E. A. Abdallah, "Compact multiband multifolded-slot antenna loaded with printed-IFA," IEEE Antennas and Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 1478-1481, 2012.
16. Su, S. W., "Compact four loop antenna system for concurrent, 2.4 and 5GHz WLAN operation," Microw. Opt. Techon. Lett., Vol. 56, No. 1, 208-215, 2014.
17. Huang, C.-Y. and E.-Z. Yu, "A slot-monopole antenna for dual-band WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas and Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 500-502, 2011.
18. Chien, H. Y. and C. H. Lee, "Dual-band meander monopole antenna for WLAN operation in laptop computer," IEEE Antennas and Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 694-697, 2013.
19. Ghatak, R., R. K. Mishra, and D. R. Poddar, "Perturbed Sierpinski carpet antenna with CPW feed for IEEE 802.11 a/b WLAN application," IEEE Antennas and Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 7, 742-744, 2008.
20. Rao, Q. and W. Geyi, "Compact multiband antenna for handheld devices," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 57, No. 10, 3337-3339, 2009.
21. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, Wiley Publication, 2005.
22. Pandeeswari, R. and S. Raghavan, "A CPW fed triple band OCSRR embedded monopole antenna with modified ground for WLAN and WIMAX applications," Microw. and Opt. Techn. Lett., Vol. 57, No. 10, 2413-2418, 2015.
23. Nicolson, A. M. and G. F. Ross, "Measurement of the intrinsic properties of materials by timedomain techniques," IEEE Trans. on Instr. and Meas., Vol. 19, No. 4, 377-382, 1970.
24. Smith, D. R., S. Schultz, P. Markos, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Determination of negative permittivity and permeability of metamaterials from reflection and transmission coefficients," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 65, 195104–9, 2002.
25. Chen, H., J. Zhang, Y. Bai, Y. Luo, L. Ran, and Q. Jiang, "Experimental retrieval of the effective parameters of metamaterials based on a waveguide method," Opt. Express, Vol. 14, No. 26, 12944-12949, 2006.
26. Smith, D. R., D. C. Vier, T. Koschny, and C. M. Soukoulis, "Electromagnetic parameter retrieval from in homogeneous metamaterials," Phys. Rev. B, Vol. 71, 36617–27, 2005.
27. Lu, J. H. and B. J. Huang, "Planar compact slot antenna with multiband operation for IEEE 802.16 m application," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 61, No. 3, 1411-1414, 2013.
28. Dang, L., Z. Y. Lei, Y. J. Xie, G. L. Ning, and J. Fan, "A compact microstrip slot triple-band antenna for WLAN/WiMAX applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 1178-1181, 2010.
29. Hu, W., Y. Z. Yin, P. Fei, and X. Yang, "Compact triband square-slot antenna with symmetrical LStrips for WLAN/WiMAX applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 462-465, 2011.
30. Lee, Y.-C. and J.-S. Sun, "Compact printed slot antennas for wireless dual and multiband operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 88, 289-305, 2008.
31. Cao, Y. F., S. W. Cheung, and T. I. Yuk, "A multiband slot antenna for GPS/WiMAX/WLAN applications," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propag., Vol. 63, No. 3, 952-958, 2015.