A circular monopole antenna for ultra wideband (UWB) applications with triple band notches is proposed. The proposed antenna rejects worldwide interoperability for microwave access WiMAX band (3.3 GHz-3.8 GHz), wireless local area network WLAN band (5.15 GHz-5.825 GHz) and X-Band downlink satellite communication band (7.1 GHz-7.9 GHz). The antenna utilises mushroom-type and uniplanar Electromagnetic Band Gap (EBG) structures to achieve band-notched designs. The advantages of band-notched designs using EBG structures such as notch-frequency tuning, triple-notch antenna designs and stable radiation pattern are shown. The effect of variation of EBG structure parameters on which notched frequency depends is also investigated. Fabricated and measured results are in good agreement with simulated ones.
2. Lee, K. F. and K. M. Luk, Microstrip Patch Antennas, Imperial College Press, 2011.
3. Ghavami, M., L. B. Michael, and R. Kohno, Ultra-wideband Signals and Systems in Communication Engineering, 2 Ed., Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, 2007.
4. Liang, J., C. C. Chiau, X. Chen, and C. G. Parini, "Printed circular disc monopole antenna for ultra-wideband applications," Electron. Lett., Vol. 40, No. 20, 1246-1248, 2004.
5. Cho, Y. J., K. H. Kim, D. H. Choi, S. S. Lee, and S. O. Park, "A miniature UWB planar monopole antenna with 5-GHz band-rejection filter and the time-domain characteristics," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 5, 1453-1460, May 2006.
6. Chu, Q. X. and Y. Y. Yang, "A compact ultra-wideband antenna with 3.4/5.5GHz dual bandnotched characteristics," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 56, No. 12, 3637-3644, Dec. 2008.
7. Dong, Y. D., W. Hong, Z. Q. Kuai, and J. X. Chen, "Analysis of planar ultra-wideband antennas with on-ground slot band-notched structures," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 7, 1886-1893, Jul. 2009.
8. Ryu, K. S. and A. A. Kishk, "UWB antenna with single or dual band notches for lower WLAN band and upper WLAN band," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 12, 3942-3950, Dec. 2009.
9. Abbosh, A. M. and M. E. Bialkowski, "Design of UWB planar band-notched antenna using parasitic elements," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 3, 796-799, Mar. 2009.
10. Kim, K. H. and S. O. Park, "Analysis of the small band-rejected antenna with the parasitic strip for UWB," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 54, No. 6, 1688-1692, Jun. 2006.
11. Lui, W. J., C. H. Cheng, Y. Cheng, and H. Zhu, "Frequency notched ultra-wideband microstrip slot antenna with fractal tuning stub," Electron. Lett., Vol. 41, No. 6, 294-296, Mar. 2005.
12. Qu, S. W., J. L. Li, and Q. Xue, "A band-notched ultra-wideband printed monopole antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 5, 495-498, 2006.
13. Pancera, E., D. Modotto, A. Locatelli, F. M. Pigozzo, and C. D. Angelis, "Novel design of UWB antenna with band-notch capability," Proc. Eur. Conf. Wireless Technol., 48-50, 2007.
14. Sarkar, D., K. Sarkar, and K. Saurav, "A compact microstrip-fed triple band-notched UWB monopole antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 396-399, Feb. 2014.
15. Zhu, F., S. Gao, A. T. S. Ho, A. Al Hameed, C. H. See, T.W. C. Brown, J. Li, G. Wei, and J. Xu, "Multiple band-notched UWB antenna with band-rejected elements integrated in the feed line," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 5, 3952-3960, 2013.
16. Foudazi, A., H. R. Hassani, and S. M. Ali Nezhad, "Small UWB planar monopole antenna with added GPS/GSM/WLAN bands," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 6, 2987-2992, 2012.
17. Li, W. T., X. W. Shi, and Y. Q. Hei, "Novel planar UWB monopole antenna with triple bandnotched characteristics," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 8, 1094-1098, 2009.
18. Nguyen, D. T., D. H. Lee, and H. C. Park, "Very compact printed triple band-notched UWB antenna with quarter-wavelength slots," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 411-414, 2012.
19. Trang, N. D., D. H. Lee, and H. C. Park, "Design and analysis of compact printed triple bandnotched UWB antenna," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 403-406, 2011.
20. Almalkawi, M. and V. Devabhaktuni, "Ultrawideband antenna with triple band-notched characteristics using closed-loop ring resonators," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., 959-962, 2011.
21. Tang, M. C., S. Xiao, T. Deng, D. Wang, J. Guan, B. Wang, and G. D. Ge, "Compact UWB antenna with multiple band-notches for WiMAX and WLAN," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 4, 1372-1376, 2011.
22. Deng, J. Y., Y. Z. Yin, S. G. Zhou, and Q. Z. Liu, "Compact ultra-wideband antenna with tri-band notched characteristics," Electron. Lett., Vol. 44, No. 21, 1231-123, 2008.
23. Mohammadian, N., M. N. Azarmanesh, and S. Soltani, "Compact ultra-wideband slot antenna fed by coplanar waveguide and microstrip line with triple-band-notched frequency function," IET Microw., Antennas Propag., Vol. 4, No. 11, 1811-1817, 2010.
24. Yazdi, M. and N. Komjani, "Design of a band-notched UWB monopole antenna by means of an EBG structure," IEEE Trans. on Antenna and Wireless Propagation, Vol. 10, 170-173, Jan. 2011.
25. Peng, L. and C. Ruan, "UWB band-notched monopole antenna design using electromagneticbandgap structures," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 59, 1074-1081, Apr. 2011.
26. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, Electromagnetic Band Gap Structures in Antenna Engineering, Cambridge University Press, 2009.
27. Sievenpiper, D., "High-impedance electromagnetic surfaces,” Ph.D. dissertation, Department of Electrical Engineering,", Ph.D. dissertation, Department of Electrical Engineering, University of California, Los Angeles, CA, 1999.
28. Islam, M. T. and M. S. Alam, "Compact EBG structure for alleviating mutual coupling between patch antenna array elements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 137, 425-438, 2013.
29. Alam, M. S., M. T. Islam, and N. Misran, "A novel compact split ring slotted electromagnetic bandgap structure for microstrip patch antenna performance enhancement," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 130, 389-409, 2012.
30. Assimonis, S. D., T. V. Yioultsis, and C. S. Antonopoulos, "Design and optimization of uniplanar EBG structures for low profile antenna applications and mutual coupling reduction," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 10, 4944-4949, Oct. 2012.