This paper presents an ultra-compact filtering integrated antenna for GPS (1.57 GHz) and LTE (2.65 GHz) applications. The antenna comprises integration between dual composite right/left-handed antenna and band stop filter in one platform. The whole integrated antenna size is only 30×28.5 mm2. Compared to conventional antenna with the same dimensions, the proposed antenna is only 6.5% at GPS band and 16.5% at LTE band. The deign procedures of individual antennas, bandstop filter and the filtering integrated antennas are explained in details. The full wave simulations supporting the design procedures and experimental measurements for all introduced components are introduced with good agreement. Finally, as a consequence of the proposed antenna ultra small size and its filtering capability, the antenna is a good candidate for implanted antenna applications.
2. Wu, W.-J., Y.-Z. Yin, S.-L. Zuo, Z.-Y. Zhang, and J.-J. Xie, "A new compact filter-antenna for modern wireless communication systems," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 1131-1134, 2011.
3. Sun, G.-H., S.-W. Wong, L. Zhu, and Q.-X. Chu, "A compact printed filtering antenna with good suppression of upper harmonic band," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 1349-1352, 2016.
4. Hsieh, C.-Y., C.-H. Wu, and T.-G. Ma, "A compact dual-band filtering patch antenna using step impedance resonators," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 1056-1059, 2015.
5. Ushijima, Y., T. Sakamoto, E. Nishiyama, M. Aikawa, and I. Toyoda, "5.8-GHz integrated differential rectenna unit using both-sided MIC technology with design flexibility," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 6, 3357-3360, 2013.
6. Li, Y., L. Li, Y. Zhang, and C. Zhao, "Design and synthesis of multilayer frequency selective surface based on antenna-filter-antenna using Minkowski fractal structures," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 63, No. 1, 133-141, 2015.
7. Chen, X., F. Zhao, L. Yan, and W. Zhang, "A compact filtering antenna with flat gain response within the passband," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 857-860, 2013.
8. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, Electromagnetic Metamaterials Transmission Line Theory and Microwave Applications, John Wiley & Sons, New Jersey, 2006.
9. Eleftheriades, G. V. and K. G. Balmain, Negative Refractive Metamaterials, John Wiley & Sons, New Jersey, 2005.
10. Lee, W. H., A. Gummalla, and M. Achour, "Small antennas based on CRLH structures: Concept, design, and applications," IEEE Ant. and Prop. Mag., Vol. 53, No. 2, 10-25, 2011.
11. Ziolkowski, R. W., P. Jin, and C. Lin, "Metamaterial-inspired engineering of antennas," IEEE Proceedings, Vol. 99, No. 10, 1720-1731, 2011.
12. Dong, Y. and T. Itoh, "Metamaterial-based antennas," IEEE Proceedings, Vol. 100, No. 7, 2271-2285, 2012.
13. Abdalla, M. A., A. A. Ibrahim, and M. H. Abd El-Azeem, "Phase enhancement for multi-resonance compact metamaterial antennas," Progress In Electromagnetic Research C, Vol. 60, 83-93, 2015.
14. Abdalla, M. A. and M. A. Fouad, "CPW dual-band antenna based on asymmetric generalized metamaterial π NRI transmission line for ultra compact applications," Progress In Electromagnetic Research C, Vol. 62, 99-107, 2016.
15. Abdalla, M. and F. H. Sadek, "Compact triple-band left-handed antenna for GSM/WiMAX applications," 2015 9th International Congress on Advanced Electromagnetic Material in Microwave and Optics, 295-297, UK, 2015.
16. Abdalla, M. and A. Ibrahim, "Multi-band meta-material antenna with asymmetric coplanar stripfed structure," 2015 IEEE AP-S Int. Antenna and Propagation Symposium Digest, 631-632, Canada, 2015.
17. Song, K., T. Pan, Y. Fan, and C. Zhong, "Wideband CRLH-transmission line bandstop filter," 2012 10th International Symposium on IEEE Antennas, Propagation & EM Theory (ISAPE), 1192-1194, 2012.
18. Abdalla, M. A., M. A. Fouad, H. A. Elregeily, and A. A. Mitkees, "Wideband negative permittivity metamaterial for size reduction of stopband filter in antenna applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 25, 55-66, 2012.
19. Abdalla, M., S. Karimian, and Z. Hu, "Dual band spurious-free SIR metamaterial antenna," 2014 IEEE AP-S International Antenna and Propagation Symposium Digest, 1005-1006, Memphis, USA, 2014.
20. Abdalla, M. A., A. A. Awad, and K. M. Hassan, "Wide band high selective compact metamaterial antenna for 2 GHz wireless applications," 2014 Loughborough Antennas & Propagation Conference, 350-354, Loughborough, UK, 2014.
21. Abdalla, M., M. A. El-Dahab, and M. Ghouz, "SIR double periodic CRLH loaded dipole antenna," 2015 IEEE AP-S International Antenna and Propagation Symposium Digest, 832-833, Canada, July 2015.
22. Chen, L.-N. and Y.-L. Luo, "Compact filtering antenna using CRLH resonator and defected ground structure," Electronics Letters, Vol. 50, No. 21, 1496-1498, 2014.
23. Caloz, C., "Dual composite right/left-handed (D-CRLH) transmission line metamaterial," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 16, No. 11, 585-587, 2006.
24. Belenguer, A., J. Cascon, A. L. Borja, H. Esteban, and V. E. Boria, "Dual composite right-/lefthanded coplanar waveguide transmission line using inductively connected split-ring resonators," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 60, No. 10, 3035-3042, 2012.
25. Belenguer, A., A. L. Borja, and V. E. BoriaV, "Balanced dual composite right/left-handed microstrip line with modified complementary split-ring resonators," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 880-883, 2013.
26. Colin, D. D. and Z. Hu, "Uniplanar metamaterial based dual composite right-/left-handed (D-CRLH) microstrip line for microwave circuit applications," 2014 Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), 211-213, 2014.
27. Ikholodnyak, D., V. Turgaliev, and E. Zameshaeva, "Dual-band immittance inverters on dual-composite right/left-handed transmission line (D-CRLH TL)," 2015 German Microwave Conference (GeMiC), 60-63, 2015.
28. Daw, A. F., M. A. Abdalla, and H. M. Elhennawy, "Dual band high selective compact transmission line gap resonator," 2014 Loughborough Ante. & Propagation Conference, 91-94, UK, 2014.
29. Daw, A. F., M. A. El Rahman Abdalla, and H. M. El Hennawy, "Multiband sharp-skirt compact gap resonator based D-CRLH," 2015 32th National Radio Science Conference (NRSC 2015), 43-50, Egypt, 2015.
30. Gonzalez-Posadas, V., J. L. Jimenez-Martın, A. Parra-Cerrada, L. E. Garcııa-Munıoz, and D. Segovia-Vargas, "Dual-composite right-left-handed transmission lines for the design of compact diplexers," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 4, No. 8, 982-990, 2010.
31. Mocanu, I. A. and G. Sajin, "The study of different types of D-CRLH transmission lines for microwave diplexer," 2013 IEEE EUROCON, 1849-1852, 2013.
32. Tong, W., Z. Hu, H. Zhang, C. Caloz, and A. Rennings, "Study and realisation of dual-composite right/left-handed coplanar waveguide metamaterial in MMIC technology," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 2, No. 7, 731-736, 2008.
33. Jang, G. and S. Kahng, "Design of a dual-band metamaterial bandpass filter using zeroth order resonance," Pogress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 12, 149-162, 2010.
34. Wu, G.-C., G.-M. Wang, T. Li, and C. Zhou, "Novel dual-composite right/left-handed transmission line and its application to bandstop filter," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 37, 29-35, 2013.
35. Liu, C.-Y., Q.-X. Chu, and J.-Q. Huang, "A planar D-CRLH transmission line structure and its application to leaky-wave antenna," 9th Int. Symp. on Ant., Prop. and EM The. (ISAPE), 345-348, 2010.
36. Quang, H. N. and H. Shirai, "A compact tri-band metamaterial antenna for WLAN and WiMAX applications," 2015 International Conference on Electromagnetics in Advanced Applications (ICEAA), 133-136, 2015.
37. Abdalla, M. and A. Fouad, "Compact triple band D-CRLH metamaterial antenna," 2015 IEEE AP-S Int. Antennas and Propagation Symposium Digest, 1190-1191, Canada, 2015.
38. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 4 Ed., Wiley and Sons, 2016.