A compact coupled-fed monopole handset antenna with multi-frequency band operation is proposed in this paper. It occupies a no-ground space of only 26×14mm2, and two wideband operations can be achieved by the coupled-fed two opposite-direction spiral branches. The low frequency bands of LTE700 operation are achieved by two spiral branches' 0.25-wavelength monopole modes, which generate a dual-resonance mode at 740 and 780 MHz. At around high frequency ranges, a 0.25-wavelength monopole mode of a T-shaped monopole is generated at 1.75 GHz, and combined with two 0.75-wavelength high-order monopole modes of the left and right side spiral branches to cover the DCS1800/PCS1900/UMTS2100/LTE2300/2500 bands. In addition, the proposed antenna is easily printed on the dielectric surface of a low cost FR4 substrate, which makes it suitable for practical mobile applications. The proposed antenna is successfully simulated, fabricated, and measured to validate the design.
2. Ban, Y. L., C. L. Liu, J. L. W. Li, and R. Li, "Small-size wideband monopole with distributed inductive strip for seven-band WWAN/LTE mobile phone," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 7-10, 2013.
3. Ku, C.-H., H.-W. Liu, and Y.-X. Ding, "Design of planar coupled-fed monopole antenna for eightband LTE/WWAN mobile handset application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 33, 185-198, 2012.
4. Bharti, P. K., G. K. Pandey, H. S. Singh, and M. K. Meshram, "A compact multiband planar monopole antenna for slim mobile handset applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 61, 31-42, 2014.
5. Huang, H.-F. and W. Zhao, "A small size three-band multi-functional antenna for LTE/GSM/UMTS/WIMAX handsets," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 49, 105-110, 2014.
6. Bharti, P. K., H. S. Singh, G. K. Pandey, and M. K. Meshram, "Thin profile wideband printed monopole antenna for slim mobile handsets application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 57, 149-158, 2015.
7. Huang, H.-F. and W. Zhao, "Small-size 11-band LTE/WWAN/WLAN planar handset antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 54, 39-45, 2015.
8. Dong, J., Y.-C. Jiao, Z.-B. Weng, Q. Qiu, and Y. Chen, "A coupled-fed antenna for 4G mobile handset," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 141, 727-737, 2013.
9. Singh, H. S., G. K. Pandey, P. K. Bharti, and M. K. Meshram, "Compact printed diversity antenna for LTE700/GSM1700/1800/UMTS/Wi-Fi/Bluetooth/LTE2300/2500 applications for slim mobile handsets," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 56, 83-91, 2015.
10. Park, B. Y., M. H. Jeong, and S. O. Park, "A magneto-dielectric handset antenna for LTE/WWAN/GPS applications," IEEE Antennas Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 13, 1482-1485, 2014.