A modified technique to design directional ultra-wideband (UWB) antenna with slotted ground structure approach on the ground plane has been presented for applications in C- and X-bands. Initially, elliptical slot is inserted into ground and thereafter, the axis of ellipse is rotated 45 degrees in direction of the substrate. Minor axis of the ellipse is optimized to locate it symmetrically around the circular patch in order to obtain the full C- and X-band operations and also to enhance directivity. Thereafter, for further improvement in the directivity as well as gain, an elliptical slot in circular patch has also been introduced. The impedance bandwidth approximates about 95% covering the frequency ranging from 4.18-11.50 GHz. The return losses (S11) are -38 dB and -43 dB through simulation, which are -24 dB and -32 dB by measurement at 6.3 GHz, 9.3 GHz resonant frequencies, respectively. Simulated gain and half power beam width (HPBW) are 2.5-8.4 dB and 49-22 degrees in 4.18-11.50 GHz band, respectively. Gain and half power beam width (HPBW) of the proposed antenna improves by 1-2 dB and 5-10 degrees, respectively compared with previously designed antennas. Simulation of the antenna has been carried out on Computer Simulation Technology (CST) software on an FR-4 substrate having dielectric constant 4.3 of thickness 1.6 mm. The measured results show good agreement with equivalent circuit model and CST simulation.
., , Federal Communications Commission, First Report and Order, Feb. 14, 2002.
2. Sadat, S., M. Fardis, F. G. Geran, and G. R. Dadashzadeh, "A compact microstrip square-ring slot antenna for UWB applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 67, 173-179, 2007.
3. Azim, R., M. T. Islam, and N. Misran, "Compact tapered-shape slot antenna for UWB applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 1190-1193, 2011.
4. Rama Krishna, R. V. S. and K. Raj, "Design of temple shape slot antenna for ultra wideband applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 47, 405-421, 2013.
5. Chen, H. D., "Broadband CPW-fed square slot antennas with a widened tuning stub," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 51, No. 8, 1982-1986, 2003.
6. Dastranj, A., A. Imani, and M. Naser-Moghaddasi, "Printed wide-slot antenna for wideband applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 10, 3097-3102, 2008.
7. Fallahi, R., A. A. Kalteh, and M. G. Roozbahani, "A novel UWB elliptical slot antenna with band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 127-136, 2008.
8. Bahl, I. J. and P. Bhartia, Microstrip Antennas, Artech House, Dedham, MA, 1980.
9. Kumar, G. and K. P. Ray, Broadband Microstrip Antennas, Artech House, 2003.
10. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory Analysis and Design, Wiley Publication, 2005.
11. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. J. Bahl, and A. Ittipiboon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, 2001.
12. Saraswat, R. K. and M. Kumar, "Miniaturized slotted ground UWB antenna loaded with metamaterial for WLAN and WiMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 65, 65-80, 2016.
13. Nagendra, K. and R. Kumar, "An UWB fractal antenna with defected ground structure and swastika shape electromagnetic band gap," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 52, 383-403, 2013.
14. Mahatthanajatupht, C., S. Saleekaw, and P. Akkaraekthalin, "A rhombic patch monopole antenna with modified Minkowski fractal geometry for UMTS, WLAN and mobile Wi-MAX application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 89, 57-74, 2009.
15. Shrestha, S., S. R. Lee, and D. Y. Choi, "New fractal-based miniaturized dual band notch antenna for RF energy harvesting," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2014, 2014.
16. Kumar, M., A. Basu, and S. K. Koul, "Circuits and active antennas for Ultra-wideband pulse generation and transmission," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 23, 251-272, 2010.
17. Stutzman, W. L. and G. A. Thiele, Antenna Theory and Design, 2 Ed., John Wiley & Sons, 1998.
18. Mokhtaari, M. and J. Bornemann, "Directional ultra-wideband antennas in planar technologies," Proceedings of the 38th European Microwave Conference, 885-888, 2008.
19. Shafina, J. H., J. Noorinia, and C. Ghobadi, "Probing the feed line parameters in vivaldi notch antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 237-252, 2008.
20. Yang, Y., Y. Wang, and A. E. Fathy, "Design of compact vivaldi antenna arrays for UWB see through wall applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 82, 401-418, 2008.
21. Golezani, J. J., M. Abbak, and I. Akduman, "Modified directional wide band printed monopole antenna for use in radar and microwave imaging applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 33, 119-129, 2012.
22. Meena, M. L. and M. Kumar, "Eight shape microstrip patch antenna with crescent slot for wideband applications," IEEE International Conference on Computational Intelligent and Communication Network, 49-54, Sep. 2013.
23. Locatelli, A., D. Modotto, F. M. Pigazzo, S. Boscolo, E. Autizi, C. De Angelis, A.-D. Capobianco, and M. Midrio, "Highly directional planar ultra wide band antenna for radar application," Proceedings of the 37th European Microwave Conference, 1421-1424, Oct. 2007.
24. Al-Husseini, M. and A. Ramadan, "Design and ground plane optimization of a CPW-fed ultrawideband antenna," Turk. J. Elec. Eng. & Comp. Sci, Vol. 19, No. 2, 2011.
25. Li, P., J. Liang, and X. Chen, "Study of printed elliptical/circular slot antennas for ultrawideband applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 6, Jun. 2006.
26. Meena, M. L., G. Parmar, and M. Kumar, "Parabolic shape ground plane having T-slots directional UWB antenna for airborne radar system," IEEE International Conference on Computer, Communication and Control, 1-3, Sep. 2015.
27. Chu, Q.-X. and Y.-Y. Yang, "A compact ultra-wideband antenna with 3.4/5.5GHz dual bandnotched characteristics," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, No. 12, 3637-3644, 2008.
28. Dong, Y. D., W. Hong, Z. Q. Kuai, and J. X. Chen, "Analysis of planar ultra-wideband antenna with on ground slot band-notched structures," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 7, 1886-1893, 2009.
29. Abhishek, K., R. Sharma, and S. Kumar, "Bandwidth enhancement using Z-shaped defected ground structure for a microstrip antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, 2251-2254, 2013.
30. Rawat, S. and K. K. Sharma, "A compact broadband microstrip patch antenna with defected ground structure for C-band applications," Central European Journal of Engineering, Vol. 4, 287-292, 2014.
31. Mourad, M. and M. Essaaidi, "A dual ultra wide band slotted antenna for C and X-band application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 47, 91-96, 2014.
32. Samsuzzaman, M. and M. T. Islam, "Inverted S-shaped compact antenna X-band applications," The Scientific World Journal, Vol. 14, 1-11, 2014.
33. Ansari, J. A., S. Verma, M. K. Verma, and N. Agrawal, "A novel wide band microstrip-line-fed antenna with defected ground for CP operation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 58, 169-181, 2015.
34. Pele, I., A. Chousseaud, and S. Toutain, "Simulation modeling of impedance and radiation pattern antenna for UWB pulse modulation," Proc. IEEE AP-S Int. Symp., Vol. 2, 1871-1874, Jun. 2004.