In this paper, the slot-shape and slot-size introduced on the radiating surface of a microstrip antenna as well as the inserted air-gap between the substrate sheet and ground plane are predicted, simultaneously. This synthesizing-prediction is carried out using knowledge based neural network (KBNN) model as this approach requires very less amount of training patterns. The suggested approach is validated by fabricating and characterizing three prototypes. A very good agreement is attained in measured, simulated and predicted results.
2., , IE3D, Zeland Software Inc., Fremont, CA.
3., , Ansoft Corporation, HFSS Simulation Tool.
4., , CST GmbH-Computer Simulation Technology, CST Microwave Studio.
5., , Agilent Technologies, ADS Simulator.
6. Christodoulou, C. G. and M. Georgiopoulos, Applications of Neural Networks in Electromagnetics, Artech House, Boston, 2001.
7. Wang, Z., S. Fang, Q. Wang, and H. Liu, "An ANN-based synthesis model for the single-feed circularly-polarized square microstrip antenna with truncated corners," IEEE Trans. on Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, 5989-5992, 2012.
8. Aneesh, M., J. A. Ansari, A. S. Kamakshi, and S. S. Sayeed, "Investigations for performance improvement of X shaped RMSA using artificial neural network by predicting slot size," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 47, 55-63, 2014.
9. Wang, Z. and S. Fang, "ANN synthesis model of single-feed corner-truncated circularly polarized microstrip antenna with an air-gap for wideband applications," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, 7 pages, Article ID 392843, Hindawi Publishing Corporation, 2014.
10. Can, S., K. Y. Kapusuz, and E. Aydin, "Calculation of resonant frequencies of a shorting PINloaded ETMA with ANN," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 56, 660-663, 2014.
11. Bedra, S. and R. Bedra, "Radiation characteristics of circular microstrip patch antenna with and without air-gap using neuro-spectral computation approach," WSEAS Transactions on Communications, Vol. 13, 340-347, 2014.
12. Gunavathi, N. and D. Sriram Kumar, "Estimation of resonant frequency and bandwidth of compact unilateral coplanar waveguide-fed flag shaped monopole antennas using artificial neural network," Microwave Opt. Technol. Lett., Vol. 57, 337-342, 2015.
13. Wang, F. and Q. J. Zhang, "Knowledge-based neural models for microwave design," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory and Techniques, Vol. 45, No. 12, 2333-2343, 1997.
14. Watson, P. M., K. C. Gupta, and R. L. Mahajan, "Applications of knowledge-based artificial neural network modeling to microwave components," Int. J. RF and Microwave CAE, Vol. 9, 254-260, 1999.
15. Frederic, D. and A. L. Devid, "Electromagnetic device performance identification using knowledge based neural networks," IEEE Trans. on Magnetics, Vol. 35, No. 3, 1817-1820, 1999.
16. Wang, B.-Z., D. Zhao, and J. Hong, "Modeling stripline discontinuities by neural network with knowledge-based neurons," IEEE Trans. Advanced Packaging, Vol. 23, No. 4, 692-698, 2000.
17. Reto, Z. and K. C. Gupta, "An approach for knowledge-aided-design (KAD) of microwave circuits using artificial neural networks," IEEE MTT Digest, 1011-1014, 2001.
18. Hong, J. and B.-Z. Wang, "NNKBN model for the microstrip T-junction structure," International Symposium Antennas and Propagation Society, Vol. 2, 92-95, Columbus, USA, 2003.
19. Devabhaktuni, V. K., B. Chattaraj, M. C. E. Yagoub, and Q. J. Zhang, "Advanced microwave modeling framework exploiting automatic model generation knowledge neural networks, and space mapping," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory and Techniques, Vol. 51, No. 7, 1822-1833, 2003.
20. Rayas-Sanchez, J. E. and Q. J. Zhang, "On knowledge-based neural networks and neuro-space mapping," IEEE MTT-S International Montreal Microwave Symposium Digest (MTT), 1-3, 17–22, Canada, 2012.
21. Devabhaktuni, V., C. F. Bunting, D. Green, D. Kvale, L. Mareddy, and V. Rajamani, "A new ANN-based modeling approach for rapid EMI/EMC analysis of PCB and shielding enclosures," IEEE Trans. Electromagnetic Compatibility, Vol. 55, 385-394, 2013.
22. Na, W. C. and Q. J. Zhang, "Automated knowledge-based neural network modeling for microwave applications," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 24, No. 7, 499-501, 2014.
23. Watson, P. M., G. L. Creech, and K. C. Gupta, "Knowledge based EMANN models for the design of wide bandwidth CPW patch/slot antennas," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation Society, Vol. 4, 2588-2591, 1999.
24. Dahele, J. S. and K. F. Lee, "Theory and experiment on microstrip antennas with air-gaps," IEE Proc., Vol. 132, No. 7, 455-460, 1985.
25. Higham, D. J. and N. J. Higham, MATLAB Guide, SIAM, PA, 2005.
26. Hagan, M. T. and M. B. Menhaj, "Training feed forward networks with the Marquardt algorithms," IEEE Trans. Neural Networks, Vol. 5, 989-993, 1995.
27. Freni, A., M. Mussetta, and P. Pirinoli, "Neural network characterization of reflectarray antennas," Int. J. Antennas Propag., Vol. 2012, 541354-1-541354-10, 2012.