A compact 2×2 dual-band MIMO antenna is proposed with polarization diversity technique for present wireless applications. The proposed design combines the horizontally and vertically polarized radiating elements. The effect of mutual coupling between radiating elements is reduced by partially stepped ground (PSG) and by the orthogonal placement of antenna elements. The whole configuration is designed over a substrate of size 70×70 mm2. The measured frequency bands extend from 2.408-2.776 GHz, and 4.96-5.64 GHz frequencies with SWR < 2. The measured isolation is more than 21 dB between adjacent and diagonal ports. The measured peak gains at 2.54 GHz, and 5.26 GHz resonant frequencies are 3.98 dBi and 4.13 dBi, respectively. The designed MIMO covers LTE bands (7/38/41), WLAN bands (2.4/5.2/5.5 GHz), and WiMAX band (2.5 GHz). The diversity performances in terms of peak gain, MEG, ECC, and directivity have also been reported.
2. Ding, Y., Z. Du, K. Gong, and Z. Feng, "A four element antenna system for mobile phones," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 6, 655-658, 2007.
3. Yang, S. L. S., K. M. Luk, H. Lai, A. A. Kishk, and K. F. Lee, "A dual polarized antenna with pattern diversity," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 50, No. 6, 71-79, 2008.
4. Li, H., J. Xiong, and S. He, "A compact planar MIMO antenna system of four elements with similar radiation characteristics and isolation structure," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 1107-1110, 2009.
5. Chang, D. C., B. H. Zeng, and J. C. Liu, "Reconfigurable angular diversity antenna with quad corner reflector arrays for 2.4 GHz applications," IET Microwaves Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 3, No. 37, 522-528, 2009.
6. Zhang, S., P. Zetterberg, and S. He, "Printed MIMO antenna system of four closely spaced elements with large bandwidth and isolation," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 15, 1052-1053, 2010.
7. Costa, J. R., E. B. Lima, C. R. Medeiros, and C. A. Fernandes, "Evaluation of a new wideband slot array for MIMO performance enhancement in indoor WLANs," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 84, 1200-1206, 2011.
8. Sim, C. Y. D., "Conical beam array antenna with polarization diversity," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 10, 4568-4572, 2012.
9. Ntaikos, D. K. and T. V. Yioultsis, "Compact split ring resonator loaded multiple input multiple output antenna with electrically small elements and reduced mutual coupling," IET Microwave Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 7, No. 6, 421-429, 2013.
10. Sharawi, M. S., M. U. Khan, A. B. Numan, and D. N. Aloi, "A CSRR loaded MIMO antenna system for ISM band operation," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 61, No. 8, 4265-4274, 2013.
11. Moradikorordalivand, A., T. A. Rahman, and M. Khalily, "Common elements wideband MIMO antenna system forWiFi/LTE access point applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 1601-1604, 2014.
12. Xia, X.-X., Q.-X. Chu, and J.-F. Li, "Design of a compact wideband MIMO antenna for mobile terminals," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 41, 163-174, 2013.
13. Sankar, K., R. Bargavi, Samson, and S. Arivumani, "Single layer dual-band G-shaped patch antenna," International Conference on Communication and Signal Processing, 636-639, India, April 2014.
14. Singh, H. S., G. K. Pandey, P. K. Bharti, and M. K. Meshram, "A compact dual-band diversity antenna for WLAN applications with high isolation," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 57, No. 4, 906-912, 2015.