In this paper, a development of compact wideband antenna for L-Band Applications is presented. The proposed antenna is developed based on Modified Sierpinski Based Fractal geometry for the antenna patch with additional meandered structure in the antenna transmission line. The designed antenna is printed on a 10 x 10 cm of substrate with a relative permittivity of 4.3 and thickness of 1.6 mm. The antenna is fed by a 50 Ω microstrip line. The proposed antenna is characterized both in numerical and experimental analysis. The antenna characteristics are analyzed in terms of return loss, bandwidth, antenna gain, radiation pattern and radiation efficiency. From the experimental analysis, the fabricated antenna exhibits reasonable agreement to numerical design. The proposed antenna has an operating frequency from 0.94 GHz to 2.25 GHz with the lowest return loss of -36dB and maximum gain around 5.49 dBi, as well as radiation efficiency of 97%, approximately.
2. Godara, L. C., Handbook of Antennas in Wireless Communications, 1st Ed., CRC, Boca Raton, FL, 2001.
3. Elbert, B. R., The Satellite Communication Applications Handbook, Artech House, Norwood, MA, 1997.
4. Li, X., M. Jalivand, Y. Sit, and T. Zwick, "A compact double-layer on-body matched bowtie antenna for medical diagnosis," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 4, 1808-1816, Apr. 2014.
5. Bonadiman, M., R. Schildberg, and J. C. da S. Lacava, "Design of a dual-polarized L-band microstrip antenna with high level of isolation for SAR applications," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 4, 4376-4379, Jun. 20-25, 2004.
6. Karmakar, N. C. and M. E. Bialkowski, "Circularly polarized aperture-coupled circular microstrip patch antennas for L-band applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 47, No. 5, 933-940, May 1999.
7. Sahu, L. K. and R. Jyoti, "Design and development of triple band U slot PIFA antenna," The Proceeding of 2014 IEEE International Microwave and RF Conference (IMaRC), 144-147, Dec. 15-17, 2014.
8. Shao, J., G. Fang, Y. Ji, K. Tan, and H. Yin, "A novel compact tapered-slot antenna for GPR applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 972-975, 2013.
9. Mobashsher, A. T. and A. Abbosh, "Slot-loaded folded dipole antenna with wideband and unidirectional performance for L-band applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 798-801, 2014.
10. Fu, S., S. Fang, Z. Wang, and X. Li, "Broadband circularly polarized slot antenna array fed by asymmetric CPW for L-band applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 1014-1016, 2009.
11. Fu, S., Q. Kong, S. Fang, and Z. Wang, "Broadband circularly polarized microstrip antenna with coplanar parasitic ring slot patch for L-band satellite system application," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 943-946, 2014.
12. Pan, S.-P., J.-Y. Sze, and P.-J. Tu, "Circularly polarized square slot antenna with a largely enhanced axial-ratio bandwidth," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 969-972, 2012.
13. Lande, P., D. Davis, N. Mascarenhas, F. Fernandes, and A. Kotrashetti, "Design and development of printed Sierpinski Carpet, Sierpinski Gasket and Koch Snowflake fractal antennas for GSM and WLAN applications," Proceeding of 2015 International Conference on Technologies for Sustainable Development (ICTSD), 1-5, Mumbai, India, Feb. 4-6, 2015.
14. Romeu, J. and J. Soler, "Generalized Sierpinski fractal multiband antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 49, No. 8, 1237-1239, Aug. 2001.
15. Hwang, K. C., "A modified Sierpinski fractal antenna for multiband application," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 6, 357-360, 2007.
16. Waqas, M., Z. Ahmed, and M. Bin Ihsan, "Multiband Sierpinski fractal antenna," Proceeding of IEEE 13th International Multitopic Conference, 2009, INMIC 2009, 1-6, Dec. 14-15, 2009.
17. Kitlinski, M. and R. Kieda, "Compact CPW-fed Sierpinski fractal monopole antenna," Electronics Letters, 1387-1388, Oct. 28, 2004.
18. Kumar, M. M. A., A. Patnaik, and C. G. Christodoulou, "Design and testing of a multifrequency antenna with a reconfigurable feed," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 730-733, 2014.
19. Choudhary, R., S. Yadav, P. Jain, and M. M. Sharma, "Full composite fractal antenna with dual band used for wireless applications," Proceeding of 2014 International Conference on Advances in Computing, Communications and Informatics (ICACCI), 2517-2520, Sep. 24-27, 2014.
20. Mukti, P. H., E. Setijadi, and N. Ardelina, "A compact dual-band antenna design using meander-line slots for WiMAX application in Indonesia," Proceeding of 2014 1st International Conference on Information Technology, Computer and Electrical Engineering (ICITACEE), 447-450, Semarang, Indonesia, Nov. 8, 2014.
21. Chen, C.-C. and C.-K. C. Tzuang, "Synthetic quasi-TEM meandered transmission lines for compacted microwave integrated circuits," IEEE Transaction on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 52, No. 6, 1637-1647, Jun. 2004.
22. Zhu, S. and R. Langley, "Dual-band wearable textile antenna on an EBG substrate," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 4, 926-935, Apr. 2009.
23. Lamminen, A. E. I., A. R. Vimpari, and J. Saily, "UC-EBG on LTCC for 60-GHz frequency band antenna applications," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 57, No. 10, 2904-2912, Oct. 2009.