In this paper a compact planar dual-mode metamaterial (MTM) antenna using rectangular type complementary split ring resonator (CSRR) is proposed. It is observed that an increase in series capacitance tends to decrease resonant frequency at which n = 1 mode is obtained in the proposed antenna. Zeroth order mode (ZOR) is obtained by means of rectangular type CSRR, tends to provide the miniaturized area. Dispersion relations are shown in order to characterize the metamaterial behavior by extracting the equivalent circuit parameters. The resonant frequency of the antenna is 2.14 GHz with input reflection coefficient up to -45 dB. The electrical size of the proposed MTM antenna is 0.321λ0 × 0.285λ0 × 0.011λ0. ZOR mode is observed at 1.15 GHz although the proposed antenna is operated at 2.14 GHz. Furthermore, it achieves simulated antenna gain of 2.60 dB with 70% radiation efficiency. In order to verify the simulation results of antenna, a prototype is fabricated and measured.
2. Caloz, C. and T. Itoh, "Novel microwave devices and structures based on the transmission line approach of metamaterials," IEEE-MTT Int. Symp., Vol. 1, 195-198, Philadelphia, PA, USA, Jun. 2003.
3. Sanada, A., C. Caloz, and T. Itoh, "Novel zeroth order resonance in composite right/left-handed transmission line resonators," Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference, Seoul, Korea, Nov. 2003.
4. Niu, B. J. and Q. Fang, "Bandwidth enhancement of CPW-fed antenna based on epsilon negative zeroth and first-order resonators," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 1125-1128, 2013.
5. Kim, T. G. and B. Lee, "Metamaterial based compact zeroth order resonant antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 45, No. 1, 12-13, 2009.
6. Dong, Y. and T. Itoh, "Miniaturized substrate integrated waveguide slot antennas based on negative zeroth order resonance," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 12, 3856-3864, 2010.
7. Antoniades, M. A. and G. V. Eleftheriades, "A folded-monopole model for electrically small NRITL metamaterial antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 425-428, 2008.
8. Schubler, M., J. Freese, and R. Jakoby, "of compact planar antennas using LH-transmission lines," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Dig., 209-212, Fort Worth, TX, Jun. 2004.
9. Ha, J., K. Kwon, Y. Lee, and J. Choi, "Hybrid mode wideband patch antenna loaded with a planar metamaterial unit cell," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 2, 1143-1147, 2012.
10. Jang, T., J. Choi, and S. Lim, "Compact coplanar waveguide (CPW)-fed zeroth-order resonant antennas with extended bandwidth and high efficiency on a vialess single layer," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 2, 363-372, 2011.
11. Niu, B. J. and Q. Y. Feng, "Bandwidth enhancement of asymmetric coplanar waveguide (ACPW)-fed antenna based on composite right/left handed transmission line," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 563-566, 2013.
12. Singh, G. K., R. K. Chaudhary, and K. V. Shrivastava, "A compact zeroth order resonating antenna using complementary split ring resonator with mushroom type of structure," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 28, 139-148, 2012.
13. Mart?nez, F. J. H., G. Zamora, F. Paredes, F. Mart?n, and J. Bonache, "Multiband printed monopole antennas loaded with OCSRRs for PANs and WLANs," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 1528-1531, 2011.
14. Sharma, S. K., A. Gupta, and R. K. Chaudhary, "Compact CPW-fed CHSSR antenna for WLAN," IEEE International Microwave and RF Conference (IMaRC), 115-117, Bangalore, 2014.
15. Baena, J. D., et al., "Equivalent-circuit models for split-ring resonators and complementary split-ring resonators coupled to planar transmission lines," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 4, 1451-1461, 2005.
16. Si, L.-M. and X. Lv, "CPW-fed multi-band omni-directional planar microstrip antenna using composite metamaterial resonators for wireless communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 133-146, 2008.
17. Lai, A., K. M. K. H. Leong, and T. Itoh, "Infinite wavelength resonant antennas with monopolar radiation pattern based on periodic structures," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 3, 868-876, 2007.
18. Majedi, M. S. and A. R. Attari, "A compact broadband metamaterial-inspired antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 345-348, 2013.