We report the results of a high-output power unbalanced tripler at 225 GHz, in which a pair of discrete Schottky varactor chips in parallel is adopted. Considering the present situation of domestic processing technology, the advantage of unbalanced structure is that it could provide bias to the diodes without a on-chip capacitor, which is essential in the balanced tripler scheme. The whole circuits are built on a 50 um-thick quartz substrate, and the novel field-circuit method is applied to the design process that enables us to calculate the impact of the parastics. The measured results indicate that the output power is more than 7 dBm in 215~228 GHz, and the output power is 12.3 dBm at 224 GHz when driven with 23.8 dBm of input power at room temperature. In general, this tripler has important practical value.
2. Wang, H., "Design and modeling of monolithic circuits Schottky diode on a GaAs substrate at millimeter and submillimeter wavelengths heterodyne receivers for multi-pixel and on board satellites dedicated to planetary aeronomy,", Doctor Thesis, University of P&M Curie, Paris, 2009.
3. Hesler, J. L., "Planar Schottky diodes in submillimeter wavelength waveguide receivers," Doctor Thesis, University of Virginia, 1996.
4. Thornton, J., C. M. Mann, and P. de Maagt, "Optimization of a 250-GHz Schottky tripler using novel fabrication and design techniques,", Vol. 46, No. 8, 1055-1061, 1998.
5. Schoeberl, M. R., et al., "Overview of the EOS aura mission," IEEE Transactions on Geoscience and Remote Sensing, Vol. 44, No. 5, 1066-1074, 2006.
6. Brown, R. L., "Technical specification of the millimeter array," Proc. SPIE, Advanced Technology MMW, Radio, and Terahertz Telescopes, Vol. 3357, 231-237, 1998.
7. Maestrini, A., et al., "Terahertz sources based on frequency multiplication and their applications," Journal of RF-Engineering and Telecommunications in Frequency, 118-122, 2008.
8. Bruston, J., et al., "A 1.2THz planar tripler using GaAs membrane based chips," Proceedings of the 12th International Symposium on Space Terahertz Technology, 310-319, 2001.
9. Schlecht, E., et al., "200, 400, and 800 GHz Schottky diode substrateless multipliers: Design and results," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 1649-1652, 2001.
10. Meng, J., et al., "Research on the practical design method of 225 GHz tripler," J. Infrated Millim. Waves, in Press.
11. Maestrini, A., et al., "Schottky diode-based terahertz frequency multipliers and mixers," Comptes Rendus Physique, Vol. 11, No. 7, 480-495, 2010.
12. Maestrini, A., et al., "A 540–640-GHz high-efficiency four-anode frequency tripler," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 53, No. 9, 2835-2843, 2005.
13. Porterfield, D. W., "High-efficiency terahertz frequency tripler," IEEE MTT-S International Microwave Symposium Digest, 337-340, Honolulu, Hawaii, 2007.
14. Marsh, S., B. Alderman, D. Matheson, and P. de Maagt, "Design of low-cost 183 GHz subharmonic mixers for commercial applications," IET Circuits Devices Syst., Vol. 1, No. 1, 1-6, 2007.
15. Grajal, J., et al., "Modeling and design aspects of millimeter-wave and submillimeter-wave Schottky diode varactor frequency multipliers," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 48, No. 4, 700-712, 2000.
16. Zhang, Y., et al., "Design of a 220 GHz frequency tripler based om EM model of Schottky diodes," J. Infrated Millim. Waves, Vol. 33, No. 4, 405-411, 2014.
17. Zhong, W., "Research on 220 GHz frequency multiplication technology based on Schottky barrier diodes,", School of Electronic Engineering, Chengdu, 2014.
18., , Online: http://www.cas.cn/ky/kyjz/201210/t20121029 3668673.shtml.
19. Schlecht, E., et al., "Harmonic balance optimization of terahertz Schottky diode multipliers using an advanced device model," 13th Int. Symp. Space Terahertz Technology, 187-196, 2002.
20. Kollberg, E. L., et al., "Current saturation in submillimeter wave varactors," IEEE Trans. Microwave Theory Tech., Vol. 40, No. 5, 831-838, 1992.