A planar UWB antenna with added GSM 1800/WMTS and UMTS bands is presented. A CPW-fed circular patch is used to obtain wideband characteristic covering the UWB range. A novel slot formed by merging the alternate sides of a hexagon with isosceles triangles is inserted in the patch to obtain dual-band operation with the lower band suitable for GSM 1800 operation. By inserting a bent monopole in the space created by the slot, a triple-band antenna is developed with two lower bands suitable for WMTS and UMTS operation. The antenna prototype is fabricated and tested. Simulated and experimental results are in good agreement. The antenna exhibits stable radiation characteristics and nearly constant group delay in the UWB range.
2. Zhang, S. M., F. S. Zhang, W. M. Li, W. Z. Li, and H. Y.Wu, "A multiband monopole antenna with two different slots for WLAN and WIMAX applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 28, 173-181, 2012.
3. Chiang, M. J., S.Wang, and C. C. Hsu, "Compact multifrequency slot antenna design incorporating embedded arc-strip," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 834-837, 2012.
4. Yao, Y., X. Wang, and J. Yu, "Multiband planar monopole antenna for LTE MIMO systems," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2012, Article ID 890705, 2012.
5. Lee, C. H., Y. H. Chang, and C. E. Chiou, "Design of multi-band CPW-fed antenna for triple-frequency operation," Electronics Letters, Vol. 48, No. 10, 543-545, May 2012.
6. Mirkamali, A., L. Akhoondzadeh-Asl, P. S. Hall, and K. Moussakhani, "Modified multiband multiple ring monopole antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 14, 173-183, 2010.
7. Hongnara, T., C. Mahattanajatuphat, P. Akkaraekthalin, and M. Krairisksh, "A multiband CPW-fed slot antenna with fractal stub and parasitic line," Radioengineering, Vol. 21, No. 2, 597-605, Jun. 2012.
8. Khan, O. M., Z. U. Islam, I. Rashid, F. A. Bhatti, and Q. U. Islam, "Novel miniaturized Koch pentagonal fractal antenna for multiband wireless applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 141, 693-710, 2013.
9. Viani, F., "Dual-band Sierpinski pre-fractal antenna for 2.4 GHz-WLAN and 800 MHz-LTE wireless devices," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 35, 63-71, 2013.
10. De Dieu, N. J. and W. Zhou, "Koch-based circular CPW fed dual UWB antenna," 2013 IEEE Conference on Microwave Technology and Computational Electromagnetics (ICMTCE), 200-203, Aug. 2013.
11. Aziz, R. S., M. A. S. Alkanhal, and A. F. A. Sheta, "Multiband fractal-like antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 29, 339-354, 2011.
12. Nazli, H., E. B??cak, B. T¨uretken, and M. Sezgin, "An improved design of planar elliptical dipole antenna for UWB applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 9, 264-267, 2010.
13. Bataller, M. F., M. C. Fabres, E. A. Daviu, and A. V. Nogueira, "Overview of planar monopole antennas for UWB applications," Proceedings of European Conference on Antennas and Propagation 2006, Nice, France, Nov. 6-10, 2006.
14. Lin, C. C. and H. R. Chuang, "A 3–12 GHz UWB planar triangular monopole antenna with ridged ground-plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 83, 307-321, 2008.
15. Garg, R., P. Bhartia, I. Bahl, and A. Ittipibon, Microstrip Antenna Design Handbook, Artech House, Boston, London, 2001.
16. Liang, J., L. Guo, C. C. Chiau, and X. Chen, "CPW-fed circular disc monopole for UWB applications," Antenna Technology: Small Antennas and Novel Metamaterials, IWAT 2005, 505-508, 2005.
17. Bazaz, R., S. K. Koul, M. Kumar, and A. Basu, "An ultra wideband antenna with band rejection capability and its characterization in time domain," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 19, 223-234, 2011.
18. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1997.
19. Foudazi, A., H. R. Hassani, and S. M. Ali Nezhad, "Small UWB planar monopole antenna with added GPS/GSM/WLAN bands," IEEE Transactions on Antennas And Propagation, Vol. 60, No. 6, 2987-2992, Jun. 2012.
20. Rahanandeh, M., A. S. N. Amin, M. Hosseinzadeh, P. Rezai, and M. S. Rostami, "A compact elliptical slot antenna for covering Bluetooth/WiMAX/WLAN/ITU," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 857-860, 2012.
21. Akiyama, Y., F. Koshiji, and K. Koshiji, "A multiband antenna with fan-shaped monopole and folded element of 800 MHz, 2.0GHz and UWB for 4G smartphones," International Conference on Electronic Packaging 2014 Proceedings, 494-497, 2014.
22. FCC Online Table of Frequency Allocations, Federal Communications Commission Office of Engineering and Technology Policy and Rules Division, , May 2012.