A coupled oscillator array using push-push oscillators and resonator type coupling circuits is presented. In the proposed oscillator array, the coupling circuit operates at the fundamental frequency and the output signal is the 2nd harmonics. The adjacent oscillators are connected via the coupling circuits. The coupling circuit is used to synchronize the oscillators and control the phase difference of the output signals. In this study, a three elements push-push oscillator array has been designed in Ku band. The measured phase shift between the output signals of the adjacent oscillators is 511 degrees at the maximum.
2. York, R. A. and R. C. Compton, "Quasi-optical power combining using mutually synchronized oscillator arrays," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 39, No. 6, 1000-1009, Jun. 1991.
3. Mortazawi, A., H. D. Foltz, and T. Itoh, "A periodic second harmonic spatial power combining oscillator," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 40, No. 5, 851-856, May 1992.
4. Birkeland, J. and T. Itoh, "A 16 element quasi-optical FET oscillator power combining array with external injection locking," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 40, No. 3, 475-481, Mar. 1992.
5. Kormanyos, B. K. and G. M. Rebeiz, "20-GHz power combining slot-oscillator array," IEEE Trans. Microwave and Guided Wave Letters, Vol. 4, No. 7, 226-228, Jul. 1994.
6. Liao, P. and R. A. York, "A new phase-shifterless beam-scanning technique using array of coupled oscillators," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 41, No. 10, 1810-1815, Oct. 1993.
7. Pogorzelski, R. J., P. F. Maccarini, and R. A. York, "A continuum model of the dynamics of coupled oscillator arrays for phase-shifterless beam scanning," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 47, No. 4, 463-470, Apr. 1999.
8. Nogi, S., M. Sanagi, and K. Fujimori, "Active integrated antenna techniques for beam control," IEICE Trans. Electron., Vol. E88-C, No. 7, 1358-1367, Jul. 2005.
9. Georgiadis, A. and A. Collado, "Injection locked coupled oscillator arrays," IEEE Trans. Microwave and Wireless Components Lett., Vol. 17, No. 12, 900-902, Dec. 2007.
10. Kawasaki, K., T. Tanaka, and M. Aikawa, "A unilaterally coupled push-push oscillator array using sequential injection-locking," Proc. of Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference 2011, 868-871, Dec. 2011.
11. Kawasaki, K., T. Tanaka, and M. Aikawa, "A sequential Injection locked coupled push-push oscillator array using unilateral coupling circuit," IEICE Trans. Electron., Vol. E95-C, No. 9, 1535-1542, Sep. 2012.
12. Kawasaki, K., T. Tanaka, and M. Aikawa, "Ku band second harmonic N-coupled push-push oscillator array using microstrip resonator," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Digest, 1182-1185, May 2010.
13. Pavio, A. M. and M. A. Smith, "A 20-40-GHz push-push dielectric resonator oscillator," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 33, No. 12, 1346-1349, Dec. 1985.
14. Sinnesbichler, F. X., "Hybrid millimeter-wave push-push oscillators using silicon-germanium HBTs," IEEE Trans. Microw. Theory Tech., Vol. 51, No. 2, 422-430, Feb. 2003.
15. Wanner, R., H. Schafer, R. Lachner, G. R. Olbrich, and P. Russer, "A fully integrated 70 GHz SiGe low phase noise push-push oscillator," IEEE MTT-S Int. Microw. Symp. Digest, Vol. 3, 1523-1526, Jun. 2005.
16. Kawahata, K., T. Tanaka, and M. Aikawa, "A K-band push-push oscillator with high suppression of undesired harmonic signals," IEICE Trans. Electron., Vol. E86-C, No. 8, 1433-1437, Aug. 2003.
17. Xiao, H., T. Tanaka, and M. Aikawa, "Push-push oscillator with simplified circuit structure," IEE Electron. Lett., Vol. 38, No. 24, 1545-1547, Nov. 2002.
18. Xiao, H., T. Tanaka, and M. Aikawa, "A 20 GHz push-push oscillator using ring resonator," IEICE Trans. Electron., Vol. E87-C, No. 12, 2143-2149, Dec. 2004.