An L/C dual-band dual-polarized (DBDP) shared aperture microstrip array is proposed in the paper. In the array, the sandwiched stacked patch is employed for the L-band element to exploit the bandwidth for given element thickness. Several key issues regarding the proposed structure are discussed, including: 1) benefit of proposed L band sandwiched stacked patch; 2) C-band feeding method; 3) radiation performance in both bands. A prototype array of L/C DBDP sandwiched stacked patch is designed and fabricated to verify the feasibility of the proposed structure, where the measured data are presented in the paper.
2. Pozar, D. M. and S. D. Targonski, "A shared-aperture dual-band dual-polarized microstrip array," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 49, No. 2, 150-157, 2001.
3. Wincza, K., S. Gruszczynski, and J. Grzegorz, Integrated dual-band dual-polarized antenna element for SAR applications, 2009 IEEE Wirel. Microw. Technol. Conf. (WAMICON' 09), 1-4, Clearwater, Florida, 2009.
4. Jaworski, G., T. Maleszka, et al., Dual frequency & dual-linear polarization integrated antenna array for application in synthetic aperture radar, 2010 Europ. Microw. Conf. (EuMC), 1714-1717, Paris, France, 2010.
5. Shafai, L. and W. Chamma, Bandwidth and polarization characteristics of perforated patch antennas, 10th Intl. Conf. Antennas Propagat. (ICAP), Vol. 1, 43-46, Edinburgh, UK, 1997.
6. Hsu, S. H., Y. J. Ren, and K. Chang, "A dual-polarized planar-array antenna for S-band and X-band airborne applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 51, No. 4, 70-78, 2009.
7. Vetharatnam, G., C. B. Kuan, and C. H. Teik, "Combined feed network for a shared-aperture band dual-polarized array," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propagat. Lett., Vol. 4, 297-299, 2005.
8. Vallecchi, A., G. B. Gentili, and M. Calamia, Dual-band dual polarization microstrip antenna, IEEE Antennas Propagat. Society (APS) Intl. Sympo., Vol. 4, 134-137, Columbus, Ohio, 2003.
9. Schippers, H., J. Verpoorte, P. Jorna, A. Hulzinga, A. Thain, G. Peres, and H. van Gemeren, Development of dual-frequency airborne satcom antenna with optical beamforming, 2009 IEEE Aerospace Conference, 1-16, Big Sky, Montana, 2009.
10. Isleifson, D. and L. Shafai, "A study on the design of dual-band perforated microstrip antennas for SAR applications," Antenna Technology and Applied Electromagnetics (ANTEM), 1-3, 2012.
11. Lee, Y., D. Ga, et al., Design of a bandwidth enhanced dual-band dual polarized array antenna, Proceedings of ISAP2012, 1281-1284, Nagoya, Japan, 2012.
12. Lee, Y., D. Ga, et al., "A dual band and dual polarization array antenna for AMRFC application," Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 1-2, 2012.
13. Zhuo, S. G. and T. H. Chio, Dual-wideband and dual-polarized shared aperture antenna, Proceedings of ISAP2012, 798-801, Nagoya, Japan, 2012.
14. Zhuo, S. G. and T. H. Chio, Dual-wideband, dual-polarized shared aperture antenna with high isolation and low cross polarization, Proceedings of ISAP 2012, 798-801, Nagoya, Japan, 2012.
15. Liu, X., S. He, H. Zhou, J. Xie, and H. Wang, A novel low-profile dual-band dual-polarization broadband array antenna for 2G/3G basestation, 2006 IET Intl. Conf. Wirel., Mobile Multimedia Networks (ICWMMN), 1-4, Hangzhou, China, 2006.
15. Sun, Z., S. S. Zhong, K. P. Esselle, Y. J. Guo, and Y. Cai, "Broadband dual-band dual-polarized overlapped antenna element," APWC 2012, 223-226, 2012.
17. Kaboli, M., M. S. Abrishamian, et al., "High isolation dual band dual polarized antenna," 6th International Symposium on Telecommunications (IST' 2012), 1-6, 2012.
18. Waterhouse, R. B., "Design of probe-fed stacked patches," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 47, No. 12, 1780-1784, 1999.
19. Granholm, J. and K. Woelders, "Dual polarization stacked microstrip patch antenna array with very low cross-polarization," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 49, No. 10, 1393-1402, 2001.
20. Liang, X.-L., S.-S. Zhong, and W.Wang, "Cross-polarization suppression of dual-polarization linear microstrip antenna arrays," Microw. Opti. Tech. Lett., Vol. 42, No. 6, 448-451, 2004.
21. Zaman, A. U., L. Manholm, and A. Derneryd, "Dual polarised microstrip patch antenna with high port isolation," Electron. Lett., Vol. 43, No. 10, 551-552, 2007.
22. Zhong, S. S., Z. Sun, L. B. Kong, C. Gao, W. Wang, and M. P. Jin, "Tri-band dual-polarization shared-aperture microstrip array for SAR applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., Vol. 60, No. 9, 4157-4165, 2012.
23. Kona, K. S. and Y. R. Samii, "Novel probe-feeding archetectures for stacked microstrip patch anetennas," Micro. Opti. Tech. Lett., Vol. 38, No. 6, 467-475, 2003.
24. Chan, T. and Y. Hwang, A Dual-band Microstrip Array Antenna, Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium,, Vol. 4, 2132-2135, Newport Beach, CA, USA, 1995.