In this article, a compact ultra-wideband (UWB) planar monopole antenna with the triple notched band is proposed. The antenna consists of a semicircular radiating patch and a modified ground plane with two bevels at upper edge. By etching two round shape slots in radiating patch the notch characteristics are achieved at WiMax band (3.3-3.7 GHz) and WLAN band (5.15-5.875 GHz). In order to realize notch band at X-band downlink satellite communication band (7.1-7.76 GHz) a pair of rotated V-shape slot are etched on the ground plane. The measured operating impedance bandwidth of proposed antenna ranges from 2.9 to 10.9 GHz having return loss less than 10 dB with triple notched bands. The proposed antenna exhibits a nearly omnidirectional radiation pattern in the H-plane, and a dipole-like radiation pattern in the E-plane for the ultra-wideband. The effects of each individual slot on band-notch characteristics are also investigated. The measured gain of the proposed triple band notched antenna is relatively stable across the operating frequency band except notched bands and thereby making the proposed antenna suitable for practical UWB applications. Proposed antenna has a compact size of 27x25 mm2.
2. Azenui, N. C. and H. Y. D. Yang, "A printed crescent patch antenna for ultrawideband applications," IEEE Antenna. Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 6, 113-116, 2007.
3. Li, L., Z. I. Zhou, J. S. Hong, and B. Z. Wang, "Compact ultra-wideband printed monopole antenna," Electronics Letters, Vol. 47, No. 16, 894-896, 2011.
4. Huang, C.-Y. and G. H. Chen, "Compact self complementary antenna for ultrawideband applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, No. 9, 2144-2146, Sep. 2012.
5. Lin, Y. C. and K. J. Hung, "Compact ultrawideband rectangular aperture antenna and band-notched designs," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 11, 3075-3081, 2006.
6. Kim, J., C. S. Chou, and J. W. Lee, "5.2 GHz notched ultra-wideband antenna using slot-type SRR," Electronics Letters, Vol. 42, No. 6, 315-316, 2006.
7. Li, W., X. Shi, T. Zhang, and Y. Song, "Novel UWB planar monopole antenna with dual band-notched characteristics," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, No. 1, 48-51, 2010.
8. Kim, K. H., Y. J. Cho, S. H. Hwang, and S. O. Park, "Band-notched UWB planar monopole antenna with two parasitic patches," Electronics Letters, Vol. 41, No. 14, 783-785, 2005.
9. Gao, G. P., M. Li, S. F. Niu, X. J. Li, B. N. Li, and J. S. Zhang, "Study of a novel wideband circular slot antenna having frequency band-notched function," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 96, 141-154, 2009.
10. Hu, Y. S., M. Li, G. P. Gao, J. S. Zhang, and M. K. Yang, "A double-printed trapezoidal patch dipole antenna for UWB applications with band-notched characteristic," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 259-269, 2010.
11. Zhang, K., Y. Li, and Y. Long, "Band notched UWB printed monopole antenna with a novel segmented circular patch," IEEE Antenna. Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 9, 1209-1212, 2010.
12. Lee, W.-S., D. Z. Kim, K.-J. Kim, and J.-W. Yu, "Wideband planar monopole antennas with dual band notched characteristics," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 6, 2800-280, 2006.
13. Azim, R., A. T. Mobashsher, and M. T. Islam, "UWB antenna with notched band at 5.5 GHz," Electronics Letters, Vol. 49, No. 15, 922-924, 2013.
14. Azim, R. and M. T. Islam, "Compact planar UWB antenna with band notch characteristics for WLAN and DSRC," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 133, 391-406, 2013.
15. Zhu, F., S. Gao, A. T. S. Ho, C. H. See, R. A. Abd-Alhameed, J. Li, and J. Xu, "Design and analysis of planar ultra-wideband antenna with dual band-notched function," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 127, 523-536, 2012.
16. Sarkar, M., S. Dwari, and A. Danie, "Compact printed monopole antenna for ultra-wideband application with dual band notched characteristic," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 55, No. 11, 2595-2600, 2013.
17. Tang, M. C., S. Xiao, T. Deng, D.Wang, J. Guan, B.Wang, and G. D. Ge, "Compact UWB antenna with multiple band-notches for WiMAX and WLAN," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, No. 4, 1372-1376, 2011.
18. Fan, S.-T., Y.-Z. Yin, H. Li, and L. Kahn, "A novel self-similar antenna for UWB applications with band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 22, 1-8, 2011.
19. Azim, R., M. T. Islam, and A. T. Mobashsher, "Design of a dual band-notch UWB slot antenna by means of simple parasitic slits," IEEE Antenna. Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 12, 1412-1415, 2013.
20. Yazdi, M. and N. Komjani, "A compact band-notched UWB planar monopole antenna with parasitic elements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 24, 129-138, 2011.
21. Kim, D. O. and C. Y. Kim, "CPW fed ultrawideband antenna with triple band notch function," Electronics Letters, Vol. 46, No. 18, 1246-1248, Sep. 2010.
22. Nguyen, T. D., D. H. Lee, and H. C. Park, "Design and analysis of compact printed triple band notched UWB antenna," IEEE Antenna. Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 403-406, 2011.
23. Liu, J., K. P. Esselle, S. G. Hay, and S. S. Zhong, "Study of an extremely wideband monopole antenna with triple band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 143-158, 2012.
24. Islam, M. T., R. Azim, and A. T. Mobashsher, "Triple band-notched planar UWB antenna using parasitic strips," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 161-179, 2012.
25. Rostamzadeh, M., S. Mohamadi, J. Nourinia, C. Ghobadi, and M. Ojaroudi, "Square monopole antenna for UWB applications with novel rod-shaped parasitic structures and novel V-shaped slots in the ground plane," IEEE Antenna. Wireless Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 446-449, 2012.