This paper presents an electrical model of aperture and mutually coupled three-elements cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna (CDRA) array designed for 802.11a system applications. In electrical model, each antenna component is represented by its equivalent RLC circuit. The advanced design system (ADS) software is used to build the electrical model and predict the behavior of return loss, while the antenna structure is simulated using CST microwave studio before fabrication. The first and last radiating elements of the proposed array are excited through the aperture slots while the middle element is excited through the mutual coupling of its neighboring elements. The slot length and inter-slot distance effects on bandwidth are comprehensively analyzed and presented. The maximum gain of the proposed array for 5.0 GHz band is about 10.8 dBi, and the achieved simulated (CST, ADS) and measured impedance bandwidths are 1.076 GHz, 1.0 GHz, and 1.2 GHz respectively. The proposed CDRA array antenna exhibits an enhancement of the gain (7.4%) and bandwidth (93.3%) as compared to a literature work with aperture slots. In this study, it is also observed that by using the mutual coupling instead of third slot to excite the middle CDRA, side lobe levels are also reduced significantly over the entire 5.0 GHz band.
2. Ain, M. F., S. I. S. Hassan, J. S. Mandeep, M. A. Othman, B. M. Nawang, S. Sreekantan, S. D. Hutagalung, and Z. A. Ahmad, "2.5 GHz Batio3 dielectric resonator antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 76, 201-210, 2007.
3. Dashti, H., M. H. Neshati, and F. Mohanna, "RDRA array fed by dielectric image line with improved gain & low back radiation," 1st Internationala Conference on Communication Engineering, Journal of Mathematics, 2010.
4. Kumari, R., et al., "A dual band triangular shaped DRA array for WLAN/WiMAX applications," 2011 Annual IEEE India Conference (INDICON), 1-4, 2011.
5. Yau, D. and M. V. Shuley, "Numerical analysis of an aperture coupled rectangular dielectric resonator antenna using a surface formulation and the method of moments," IEE Proceedings --- Microwaves, Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 146, 105-110, 1999.
6. Sreekantan, S., Y. K. Ling, Z. A. Ahmad, M. F. Ain, M. A. Othman, and S. I. S. Hassan, "Simulation and experimental investigators on rectangular, circular and cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C , Vol. 7, 151-166, 2009.
7. Ain, M. F., Y. M. A. Qasaymeh, Z. A. Ahmad, M. A. Zakariya, M. A. Othman, S. S. Olokede, and M. Z. Abdullah, "Novel modeling and design of circularly polarized dielectric resonator antenna array," Progress In Electrimagnetics Research C, Vol. 28, 165-179, 2012.
8. Baba, A. A., M. A. Zakariya, and Z. Baharudin, "Wideband and high gain cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna array," Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Ubiquitous Information Management and Communication --- ICUIMC 13 , 2013.
9. Baba, A. A., M. A. B. Zakariya, Z. Baharudin, M. H. M. Khir, M. Z. u. Rehman, Z. A. Ahmad, and Y. M. A. Qasaymeh, "Aperture and mutual coupled cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 37, 223-233, 2013.
10. Ahmed, O. M. H. and A.-R. Sebak, "Mutual coupling effect on ultrawideband linear antenna array performance," International Journal of Antenna and Propogation, Vol. 2011, 11, 2011.
11. Petosa, A., Dielectric Resonator Antennas Handbook, 2007.
12. Ladani, F. T. and A. Z. Nejzhad, "Modeling of conical dielectric resonator by simulation at 10 GHz and comparing with the cylindrical dielectric resonator," International Symposium on Telecommunication, 125-128, 2008.
13. Akhavan, H. G. and D. Mirshekar-Syahkal, "Approximate model for microstrip fed slot antennas," Electronics Letters, Vol. 30, 1902-1903, 1994.
14. Ferchichi, A., N. Fadlallah, and A. Gharssallah, "A novel electrical model to an antenna array," Journal of Engineering and Technology Research, Vol. 3, No. 12, 321-329, 2011.
15. Verma, A. K. and Nasimuddin, "Analysis of circular microstrip antenna on thick substrate," Jounal of Mcrowaves and Optoelectronics, Vol. 2, No. 5, 30-38, 2002.
16. Ain, M. F., Y. M. A. Qasaymeh, Z. A. Ahmad, M. A. Zakariya, M. A. Othman, A. A. Sulaiman, A. Othman, S. D. Hutagalung, and M. Z. Abdullah, "A novel 5.8 GHz high gain array dielectric resonator antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 15, 201-210, 2010.