An ultra-wideband (UWB) planar monopole antenna integrated with a narrow-band (NB) cylindrical dielectric resonator antenna (DRA) is presented. The proposed antenna consists of a UWB monopole excited by a coplanar waveguide (CPW) transmission line, acting as a ground for a DRA excited by a slot. The mode HEM11δ is excited in the NB DRA. To validate the concept of integration, an antenna is fabricated and measured. The measured results demonstrate that the UWB antenna provides a 2:1 voltage standing wave ratio (VSWR) bandwidth for 3.05-11 GHz, integrated with a dual-band NB antenna. Moreover, the two ports have the same polarization and a reasonable isolation (less than -10 dB) between each other. This is a promising candidate for applications in cognitive radio, where the UWB antenna can be used for spectrum sensing and the NB antenna for communication operation.
2. Ahmed, O. M. H., A. R. Sebak, and T. A. Denidni, "Size reduction and bandwidth enhancement of a UWB hybrid dielectric resonator antenna for short range wireless communication," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 19, 19-30, 2010.
3. Aoutoul, M., N. Healey, J. Kiwan, F. Bourzeix, B. Lakssir, and M. Essaaidi, "A very small UWB dielectric resonator antenna for mobile and wireless communication systems," PIERS Proceedings, 102-105, Marrakesh, Morocco, Mar. 20-23, 2011.
4. Guha, D., Y. M. M. Antar, A. Ittipiboon, A. Petosa, and D. Lee, "Improved design guidelines for the ultra wideband monopole-dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Antennas Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 5, 373-377, 2006.
5. Zivkovic, I., "Dielectric loading for bandwidth enhancement of ultra-wide band wire monopole antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 30, 241-252, 2012.
6. Niroo-Jazi, M. and T. A. Denidni, "Experimental investigations of a novel ultrawideband dielectric resonator antenna with rejection band using hybrid techniques," IEEE Antenna Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 11, 492-495, 2012.
7. Ozzaim, C., "Monopole antenna loaded by a stepped-radius dielectric ring resonator for ultrawide bandwidth," IEEE Antenna Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, No. 1, 843-845, 2011.
8. Ozzaim, C., F. Ustuner, and N. Tarim, "Stacked conical ring dielectric resonator antenna excited by a monopole for improved ultrawide bandwidth," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 61, No. 3, 1435-1438, 2013.
9. Denidni, T. A. and Z. Weng, "Hybrid ultrawideband dielectric resonator antenna and band-notched designs," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 5, No. 4, 450-458, 2011.
10. Mitola, J. and G. Q. Maguire, "Cognitive radio: Making software radios more personal," IEEE Personal Commun., Vol. 6, 13-18, Aug. 1999.
11. Hall, P. S., P. Gardner, and A. Faraone, "Antenna requirement for software defined and cognitive radios," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. PP, No. 99, 1-9, 2012.
12. Ghanem, F., P. S. Hall, and J. R. Kelly, "Two port frequency reconfigurable antenna for cognitive radios," IET Electron. Lett., Vol. 45, No. 11, 534-535, May 2009.
13. Kelly, J. R., P. Song, P. S. Hall, and A. L. Borja, "Reconfigurable 460MHz to 12 GHz antenna with integrated narrowband slot," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 24, 137-145, Sep. 2011.
14. Ebrahimi, E., J. R. Kelly, and P. S. Hall, "Integrated wide-narrowband antenna for multi-standard radio," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 59, No. 7, 2628-2635, Jul. 2011.
15. Augustin, G. and T. A. Denidni, "An integrated ultra wideband/narrow band antenna in uniplanar configuration for cognitive radio systems," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 11, 5479-5484, Nov. 2012.
16. Khalily, M., M. K. A. Rahim, and A. A. Kishk, "Bandwidth enhancement and radiation characteristics improvement of rectangular dielectric resonator antenna," IEEE Antenna Wirel. Propag. Lett., Vol. 10, 393-395, 2011.
17. Yan, J. and J. T. Bernhard, "Design of a MIMO dielectric resonator antenna for LTE femtocell base station," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 60, No. 2, 438-444, 2012.
18. Fakhte, S., H. Oraizi, and M. H. Vadjed-Samiei, "A high gain dielectric resonator loaded patch antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 30, 147-158, 2012.
19. Kim, D.-O., N.-I. Jo, H.-A. Jang, and C.-Y. Kim, "Design of the ultrawideband antenna with a quadruple-band rejection characteristics using a combination of the complementary split ring resonators," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 112, 93-107, 2011.
20. Zhu, F., S. Gao, A. T. S. Ho, C. H. See, R. A. Abd-Alhameed, J. Li, and J. Xu, "Design and analysis of planar ultra-wideband antenna with dual band-notched function," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 127, 523-536, 2012.
21. Xie, M., Q. Guo, and Y. Wu, "Design of a miniaturized UWB antenna with band-notched and high frequency rejection capability," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 8-9, 1103-1112, 2011.