In this paper, a new Frequency-Reconfigurable Stacked Patch Microstrip Antenna (FRSPMA) with a new coupling method applied in an aperture-coupled technique controlled by the switching circuit is presented. This antenna uses a combination of aperture-coupled technique and stacked patch in order for the radiating elements to increase the bandwidth. Two shapes (Ishape and H-shape) and sizes of aperture slots are etched onto the ground with a purpose to couple the energy between feedline and stacked patch. One PIN diode switch is integrated in the feed network to control the length of the feedline. A variation of the feedline length controls the selected aperture slots to be active. The waves from the selected activated aperture slots will radiate to particular radiating patch (top or bottom patch) and achieve the frequency reconfigurability. When the switch is in ON mode, the antenna has a capability to configure its operating frequency at 2.6 GHz and at 3.5 GHz during the OFF mode. Besides that, the air gap is used to improve and avoid any coupling problem between the aperture slots and both of the two patches. Improper alignment between the aperture slots and patches will interfere waves radiating from aperture slots to the particular patch. In addition, the proposed antenna produces a high gain of more than 5 dB during ON or OFF modes respectively. The simulated results are compared with measured results.
2. Jamlos, M. F., N. F. Kahar, M. Jusoh, P. Saadl, and M. F. Malek, "An effect of stack configuration of reconfigurable antenna," IEEE International Workshop on Antenna Technology (iWAT), 2012.
3. Lin, S. Y., Y. C. Lin, C. Y. Li, and Y. M. Lee, "Patch antenna with reconfigurable polarization," Proceedings of Asia-Pacific Microwave Conference (APMC), 634-637, Dec. 5-8, 2011.
4. Venneri, F., S. Costanzo, G. Di Massa, A. Borgia, P. Corsonello, and M. Salzano, "Design of a reconfigurable reflectarray based on a varactor tuned element," 6th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EUCAP), 2628-2631, 2012.
5. Yamagajo, T. and Y. Koga, "Frequency reconfigurable antenna with MEMS switches for mobile terminals," IEEE-APS Topical Conference on Antennas and Propagation in Wireless Communications (APWC), 2011.
6. Freeman, J. L., B. J. Lamberty, and G. S. Rews, "Optoelectronically reconfigurable monopole antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 28, 1082,1502-1503, 1992.
7. Jusoh, M., M. F. Jamlos, M. R. Kamarudin, and M. F. Malek, "A novel compact reconfigurable multi-band antenna," IEEE International on RF and Microwave Conference (RFM), 2011.
8. Liu, Y. C. and K. Chang, "Multiband frequency reconfigurable antenna by changing the microstrip connecting element position," IEEE International Symposium on Antennas and Propagation Society, APSURSI' 09, 1-4, Jun. 1-5, 2009.
9. Ramakrishna, D., M. Muthukumar, and V. M. Pandharipande, "Design and realization of rectangular reconfigurable antenna (RRA) for airborne RADAR," IEEE International Conference on RF and Microwave (RFM), 127-132, Dec. 12-14, 2011.
10. Singh, G., M. Kumar, and G. Parmar, "Novel frequency reconfigurable microstrip patch antenna based on a square slot for wireless devices," International Conference on Communication Systems and Network Technologies (CSNT), 2012.
11. Singh, G. and M. Kumar, "Novel frequency reconfigurable microstrip patch antenna based on a square slot for wireless devices," International Conference on Communication Systems and Network Technologies (CSNT), 2012.
12. Razali, A. R. and M. E. Bialkowski, "Reconfigurable coplanar inverted-f antenna with electronically controlled ground slot," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 34, 63-76, 2011.
13. Qin, P.-Y., A. R. Wiley, Y. J. Guo, T. S. Bird, and C.-H. Liang, "Frequency reconfigurable quasi-Yagi folded dipole antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, 2742-2747, Aug. 2010.
14. Ali, M. T., M. Y. Mat Zain, N. Ramli, A. L. Yusof, and M. N. M. Tan, "Frequency reconfigurable quasi-Yagi microstrip antenna with beam shaping for WiMAX application," IEEE International Conference on RF and Microwave Conference (RFM), 434-438, Dec. 12-14, 2011.
15. Kayat, S. M., M. T. Ali, M. K. M. Salleh, N. Ramli, and H. Alias, "Truncated rhombic microstrip patch array antenna with frequency reconfigurability," IEEE Asia Pacific Conference on Applied Electromagnetic (APACE), Dec. 2012.
16. AbuTarboush, H. F., R. Nilavalan, K. M. Nasr, H. S. Al-Raweshidy, and D. Budimir, "A reconfigurable H-shape antenna for wireless applications," Proceedings of the Fourth European Conference on Antennas and Propagation (EuCAP), 2010.
17. Tawk, Y., J. Costantine, and C. G. Christodoulou, "A frequency reconfigurable rotatable microstrip antenna design," IEEE on Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium (APSURSI), 1-4, Jul. 11-17, 2010.
18. Ismail, , M. F., M. K. A. Rahim, H. A. Majid, M. R. Hamid, M. R. Kamarudin, and N. A. Murad, "Frequency reconfigurable aperture coupled antenna," 6th European Conference on Antennas and Propagation, 2960-2963, Mar. 26-30, 2012.
19. Pozar, D. M., "A microstrip antenna aperture coupled to a microstripline," Electron. Lett., Vol. 21, No. 2, 49-50, Jan. 17, 1985.
20. Aijaz, Z. and S. C. Shrivastava, "Effect of the different shapes: Aperture coupled microstrip slot antenna," International Journal of Electronic Engineering, Vol. 2, No. 1, 103-105, 2010.
21. Sullivan, P. L. and D. H. Schaubert, "Analysis of an aperture coupled microstrip antenna," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 34, No. 8, Aug. 1986.
22. Croq, F. and A. Papiernik, "Large bandwidth aperture coupled microstrip antenna," Electron. Lett., Vol. 26, No. 16, 1293-1294, 1990.
23. Targonski, S. D., R. B. Waterhouse, and D. M. Pozar, "Wideband aperture coupled stacked patch antenna using thick substrates," Electron. Lett., Vol. 32, No. 21, 1941-1942, Oct. 1996.
24. Croq, F. and D. M. Pozar, "Milimeter wave design of wideband aperture coupled stacked microstrip antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 39, No. 12,Pt. 1, 1770-1776, 1991.
25. Chiu, C. H. and S. Y. Chen, "A novel broadband aperture coupled microstrip patch antenna," Proceedings of the Asia Pacific Microwave Conference, 2011.