Conventional reflector based Impulse Radiating Antennas (IRA's) are designed with conical taper transmission line feed. A novel feed design approach is used to enhance gain of the IRA without increasing diameter of the reflector. This paper discuses conventional and new IRA designs of different input impedances. IRA with conventional feed and with new dipole feed is designed for both 200 Ω and 100 Ω input impedance category. The IRA with new feed design offers better gain compared to conventional IRA for both 200 Ω and 100 Ω input impedance category. These antenna designs are analyzed using the Finite Difference Time Domain (FDTD) method and the result obtained shows that IRAs with new dipole feed offers better gain than IRAs with conventional feed for respective input impedance category without any compromise in time domain characteristics. A half IRA with new feed with input impedance of nearly 50 Ω was realized and measured to establish the advantage of new dipole feed IRA.
11. DuHamel, R. H., et al., "Frequency independent conical feeds for lens and reflectors," Proc. IEEE Int. Antennas Propagation Symp., Vol. 6, 414-418, Sep. 1968.
2. Baum, C. E., "Radiation of impulse-like transient fields,", Sensor and Simulation Notes 321, Nov. 25, 1989.
3. Baum, C. E. and E. G. Farr, "Impulse radiating antennas," Ultra-wideband Short Pulse Electromagnetics, 139-147, Edited by H. L. Bertoni et al., Plenum Press, NY, 1993.
4. Baum, C. E., "Configuration of TEM feed for IRA," Sensor and Simulation Notes 327, Apr. 27, 1991.
5. Farr, E., "Optimizing the feed impedance of impulse radiating antenna, Part I: Reflector IRA,", Sensor and Simulation Notes 354, Jan. 199.
6. Farr. , E., et al., "Prepulse associated with the TEM feed of an impulse radiating antenna," Sensor and Simulation Notes 337, Mar. 1992.
7. Manteghi, M. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "A novel Vivaldi fed reflector impulse radiating antenna (IRA)," Proc. IEEE Int. Antennas Propagation Symp., 549-552, Washington, DC, Jul. 3-8, 2005.
8. Manteghi, M. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "On the characterization of a reflector impulse radiating antenna (IRA): Full-wave analysis and measurement results," IEEE Trans. Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 54, No. 3, 812-822, Mar. 2006.
9. Bowen, L. H., et al., "A high voltage cable feed impulse radiating antenna," Ultrawideband Short Pulse Electromagnetics 8, 9-16, Edited by Baum et al., Springer, 2007.
10. Giri, D. V., "Peak power gain in time domain of impulse radiating antenna (IRAs),", Sensor and Simulation Notes 546, Oct. 2009.
11. Sower, G. D., "Optimization of the asymptotic conical EMP sensors,", Sensor and Simulation Notes 295, Oct. 1986.
12. Baum, C. E., "An equivalent charge method for defining geometries of dipole antennas,", Sensor and Simulation Notes 72, Jan. 1969.
13. Singh, D. K., D. C. Pande, and A. Bhattacharya, "A new feed for reflector based 100 impulse radiating antenna," PIERS Proceedings, 1635-1639, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Mar. 27-30, 2012.
14. Singh, D. K., D. C. Pande, and A. Bhattacharya, "Selection of ideal feed profile for asymptotic conical dipole fed impulse radiating antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 35, 95-109, 2013.