A new configuration of Yagi antenna is proposed, which can improve the forward/backward ratio (f/b) significantly while maintaining a high gain. This configuration involves the addition of one radiating element (dipole) to the original Yagi array which produces a controllable pattern used for cancellation of back lobe. This additional element may arrange on parallel (side-by-side) or collinear to a radiating dipole of the original Yagi antenna. It is shown here that the technique is most effective for collinear configuration (exhibits smaller mutual effects) and that there then exists an optimum length and position for the added element. The amplitude of the excitation of the additional element determines the angular location of the back lobe reduction. To demonstrate the major benefits, comparisons are made among the proposed and conventional Yagi configurations. Numerical and measured results of our design show more than 20 dB front to back ratio at 2.4 GHz. To the author's knowledge, this is the first printed Yagi antenna presented that has a high gain and a high f/b ratio designed using simple technique. Moreover, the proposed array represents a simple and valuable alternative to the stack Yagi antennas as the obtainable radiation characteristics are satisfactory in terms of both forward and backward gain.
2. Pozar, D., "Microstrip antennas," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 80, No. 1, 79-91, Jan. 1992.
3. Huang, J., "Planar microstrip Yagi array antenna," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Society Int. Symp., Vol. 2, 894-897, Jun. 1989.
4. Densmore, A. and J. Huang, "Microstrip Yagi antenna for mobile satellite vehicle application," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 39, No. 7, 1024-1030, Jul. 1991.
5. Xin, Q., F.-S. Zhang, B.-H. Sun, Y.-L. Zou, and Q.-Z. Liu, "Dual-band Yagi-Uda antenna for wireless communications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 16, 119-129, 2010.
6. Lin, S., G.-L. Huang, R.-N. Cai, and J.-X. Wang, "Novel printed Yagi-Uda antenna with high-gain and broadband," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 20, 107-117, 2011.
7. Ta, S. X. , H. Choo, and I. Park, "Wideband double-dipole Yagi-Uda antenna fed by a microstrip-slot coplanar stripline transition," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 44 , 71-87, 2012.
8. DeJean, G. R. and M. M. Tentzeris, "A new high-gain microstrip Yagi array antenna with a high front-to-back (F/B) ratio for WLAN and millimeter-wave applications," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 2, 298-304, Feb. 2007.
9. Bemani, M. and S. Nikmehr, "A novel wide-band microstrip Yagi-Uda array antenna for WLAN applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 16, 389-406, 2009.
10. Huang, E. and T. Chiu, "Printed Yagi antenna with multiple reflectors," Electronics Letters, Vol. 40, No. 19, Sep. 16, 2004.
11. Khodier, M. and M. Al-Aqil, "Design and optimization of Yagi-Uda antenna arrays," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 4, No. 4, 426-436, Apr. 2010.
12. Mohammed, J. R., "A new technique for obtaining wide-angular nulling in the sum and difference patterns of monopulse antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 1242-1245, 2012.
13. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 3rd Ed., John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, New Jersey, 2005.