In this paper, we will present a quasi-elliptic bandstop filter using asynchronously tuned resonators. To demonstrate this technique, a novel broadband microstrip bandstop filter is also proposed using distributed resonators. To achieve wide bandwidth using distributed resonators, strong couplings are required. This is achieved using tap coupled to avoid very narrow gaps which are costly to manufacture. The filter exhibits a factional bandwidth of approximately 35%. A simple practical transformation technique for transforming Chebyshev bandstop filter to asynchronously tuned quasi-elliptic bandstop filter will be presented.
2. Hong, J.-S., M. J. Lancaster, R. B. Greed, D. Jedamzik, J.-C. Mage, and H. J. Chaloupka, "A high-temperature superconducting duplexer for cellular base-station applications," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 48, No. 8, 1336-1343, Aug. 2000.
3. Rhodes, J. D., "Waveguide bandstop elliptic function filters," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 20, No. 11, 715-718, Nov. 1972.
4. Corona, A., I. Llamas, and M. J. Lancaster, "A high temperature superconducting quasi-elliptic notch filter for radioastronomy," Microwave and Optical Technology Letter, Vol. 52, No. 1, 88-90, Jan. 2010.
5. Schmiedel, H., "Optimization of arbitary frequency response of microwave bandstop filter," IEEE Proceeding of High Power Microwave Electronics: Measurements, Identification Applications, II.7-II.12, 1999.
6. Matthaei, G., L. Young, and E. M. T. Jones, Microwave Filters Impedance-matching Networks, and Coupling Structures, Artech House, Norwood, 1964.
7. Yeo, K. S. K., M. J. Lancaster, and J. S. Hong, "Design of microstrip six pole quasi-elliptic filter with linear phase response using extracted pole technique," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Technique, 321-327, Feb. 2001.
8. Hong, J. S. and M. J. Lancaster, Microstrip Filters for RF/Microwave Applications, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 2001.
9. Matthaei, G. and G. L. Hey-Shipton, "Novel staggered resonator array superconducting 2.3 GHz bandpass filter," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Technique, Vol. 41, No. 12, 2345-2352, 1993.
10. Yeo, K. S. K. and M. J. Lancaster, "8 pole high temperature superconducting microstrip dual band bandpass filter design," IEEE MTT-S Microwave Symposium Digest,, 1-4, Jun. 2011.