Space-Time Adaptive Processing (STAP) algorithm has recently been used in Passive Bi-static Radars (PBR) because it removes the clutter and non-cooperative transmitter effectively making the target detection easy in harsh environments like air-ground. Real-time implementation of STAP is a very challenging task as it is computationally-intensive, time-critical and resource-hungry process. This paper focuses on the Field-Programmable Gate Array (FPGA) implementation of STAP algorithm for passive radar using FM radio as transmitter of opportunity. The signals of interest were collected using an eight-channel software-defined radar with a uniform circular array (UCA). The STAP processing was simulated using MATLAB and hardware implementation was carried out on a Xilinx Virtex-6 FPGA. The system is tested using experimental radar data. Timing and Power analysis of hardware implementation justifies that FPGA provides a fast and reliable platform for STAP real-time radar processing.
2. Ul Mahmood, Z., M. Alam, K. Jamil, and M. Elnamaky, "On modeling and hardware implementation of space-time adaptive processing (STAP) for target detection in passive bistatic radar," The 11th International Conference on Information Sciences, Signal Processing and Their Applications: Main Tracks (ISSPA2012-Track), 1040-1044, 2012.
3. Gong, Q. and Z.-D. Zhu, "Study STAP algorithm on interference target detect under non-homogenous environment," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 99, 211-224, 2009.
4. Sarkar, T. K. and R. Adve, "Space-time adaptive processing using circular arrays," Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 43, No. 1, 138-143, 2001.
5. Zatman, M., "Circular array STAP," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 36, No. 2, 510-517, 2000.
6. Belfiori, F., S. Monni, W. Van Rossum, and P. Hoogeboom, "Side-lobe suppression techniques for a uniform circular array," European Radar Conference (EuRAD), 113-116, 2010.
7. Nguyen, H. N., J. D. Hiemstra, and J. S. Goldstein, "The reduced rank multistage Wiener filter for circular array STAP," Proceedings of the IEEE Radar Conference, 66-70, 2003.
8. Neyt, X., J. Raout, M. Kubica, V. Kubica, S. Roques, M. Acheroy, and J. G. Verly, "Feasibility of STAP for passive GSM-based radar," IEEE Conference on Radar, 546-551, 2006.
9. Kubica, M. , V. Kubica, X. Neyt, J. Raout, S. Roques, and M. Acheroy, "Optimum target detection using illuminator of opportunity," IEEE Conference on Radar, 417-424, 2006.
10. Melvin, W. L., "A STAP overview," Aerospace and Electronic Systems Magazine, Vol. 19, No. 1, 19-35, 2004.
11. Sarkar, T. K., H. Wang, S. Park, R. Adve, J. Koh, K. Kim, Y. Zhang, M. C. Wicks, and R. D. Brown, "A deterministic least-squares approach to space-time adaptive processing (STAP)," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 49, No. 1, 91-103, 2001.
12. Homer, J., K. Kubik, B. Mojarrabi, I. D. Longstaff, E. Donskoi, and M. Cherniakov, "Passive bi-static radar sensing with LEOS based transmitters," IEEE International Geo-science and Remote Sensing Symposium, (IGARSS), Vol. 1, 438-440, 2002.
13. Chetty, K., K. Woodbridge, G. Hui, and G. E. Smith, "Passive bi-static WiMAX radar for marine surveillance," IEEE Radar Conference, 188-193, 2010.
14. Colone, F., P. Falcone, C. Bongioanni, and P. Lombardo, "WiFi-based passive bi-static radar: Data processing schemes and experimental results," IEEE Transactions on Aerospace and Electronic Systems, Vol. 48, No. 2, 1061-1079, 2012.
15. Howland, P. E., D. Maksimiuk, and G. Reitsma, "FM radio based bi-static radar," IEE Proceedings --- Radar, Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 152, No. 3, 107-115, 2005.
16. Tan, D. K. P., H. Sun, Y. Lu, M. Lesturgie, and H. L. Chan, "Passive radar using global system for mobile communication signal: Theory, implementation and measurements," IEE Proceedings | Radar, Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 152, No. 3, 116-123, 2005.
17. Berger, C. R., B. Demissie, J. Heckenbach, P. Willett, and S. Zhou, "Signal processing for passive radar using OFDM waveforms," IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Signal Processing, Vol. 4, No. 1, 226-238, 2010.
18. Cai , M., F. He, and L. Wu, "Application of UKF algorithm for target tracking in DTV-based passive radar," 2nd International Congress on Image and Signal Processing, (CISP), 1-4, 2009.
19. Jamil, K., M. Alam, M. Hadi, and Z. Alhekail, "A multi-band multi-beam software-defined passive radar Part I: System design," IET Radar Conference, 2012.
20. Alam, M., K. Jamil, Z. Alhekail, and S. Alhumaidi, "A multi-band multi-beam software-defined passive radar Part II: Signal processing," IET Radar Conference, 2012.
21. De Maio, A., S. De Nicola, Y. Huang, D. P. Palomar, S. Zhang, and A. Farina, "Code design for radar STAP via optimization theory," IEEE Transactions on Signal Processing, Vol. 58, No. 2, 679-694, 2010.
22. Palmer, J. E. and S. J. Searle, "Evaluation of adaptive filter algorithms for clutter cancellation in passive bistatic radar," IEEE Radar Conference (RADAR), 493-498, 2012.
23. Searle, S., S. Howard, and J. Palmer, "Remodulation of DVBT signals for use in passive bistatic radar," Conference Record of the Forty Fourth Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems and Computers (ASILOMAR), 1112-1116, 2010.
24. Harms, H. A., L. M. Davis, and J. Palmer, "Understanding the signal structure in DVB-T signals for passive radar detection," IEEE Radar Conference, 532-537, 2010.
25. Yang, Z. C., Z. Liu, X. Li, and L. Nie, "Performance analysis of STAP algorithms based on fast sparse recovery techniques," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 41, 251-268, 2012.
26. Liu, Z., X. Wei, and X. Li, "Adaptive clutter suppression for airborne random pulse repetition interval radar based on compressed sensing," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 128, 291-311, 2012.
27. Wu, D., Z. Xu, L. Zhang, Z. Xiong, and S. Xiao, "Performance analysis of polarization-space-time three-domain joint processing for clutter suppression in airborne radar," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 579-601, 2012.
28. Richards, M. A., Fundamentals of Radar Signal Processing, Tata McGraw-Hill Education, 2005.