In this paper, a compact ultra wideband (UWB) monopole antenna with a band-notched characteristic is presented. The bandnotched characteristic is achieved by inserting a U-shaped slot in the half elliptical-ring radiating patch. The measured bandwidth of the designed antenna for S11≤-10 dB spans 3.1 GHz to 9.3 GHz with a notched band (S11>-10 dB) spanning 5.12 GHz to 5.99 GHz. A quasi-omnidirectional radiation pattern in the x-z plane and quasisymmetrical radiation patterns in the x-y and y-z planes are obtained throughout the operating band. The antenna is suitable for UWB communication applications and also reduces the interference with wireless local area network (WLAN) systems. The parameters which affect the performance of the antenna in terms of its frequency domain characteristics are investigated in this paper.
2. Li, Z., D. Xie, J. Wang, and K. Jiang, "Design and analysis of a novel ultra wide-band antenna," International Conference on Microwave Technology and Computational Electromagnetics, 460-463, Nov. 3-6, 2009.
3. Lizzi, L., G. Oliveri, and A. Massa, "A time-domain approach to the synthesis of UWB antenna systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 122, 557-575, 2012.
4. Sze, J. Y. and K. L. Wong, "Bandwidth enhancement of a microstrip-line-fed printed wide-slot antenna," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 49, 1020-1024, 2001.
5. Saleem, R. and A. K. Brown, "Empirical miniaturization analysis of inverse parabolic step sequence based UWB antennas," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 114, 369-381, 2011.
6. Chair, R., A. A. Kishk, and K. F. Lee, "Ultrawide-band coplanar waveguide-fed rectangular slot antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Lett., Vol. 3, 227-229, 2004.
7. Kumar , R. and P. Malathi, "On the design of CPW-feed diamond shape fractal antenna for UWB applications," International Journal of Electronics, Vol. 98, 1157-1168, 2011.
8. Osman, M. A. R., M. K. A. Rahim, M. Azfar, N. A. Samsuri, F. Zubir, and K. Kamardin, "Design, implementation and performance of ultra-wideband textile antenna," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 27, 307-325, 2011.
9. William, J. and R. Nakkeeran, "A compact CPW-fed UWB slot antenna with cross tuning stub," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 13, 159-170, 2010.
10. Hu, Y.-S., M. Li, G.-P. Gao, J.-S. Zhang, and M.-K. Yang, "A double-printed trapezoidal patch dipole antenna for UWB applications with band-notched characteristic," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 259-269, 2010.
11. Li, , C.-M. and L.-H. Ye, "Improved dual band-notched UWB slot antenna with controllable notched bandwidths," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 477-493, 2011.
12. Islam, M.-T., R. Azim, and A. T. Mobashsher, "Triple band-notched planar UWB antenna using parasitic strips," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 129, 161-179, 2012.
13. Xie, M., Q. Guo, and Y. Wu, "Design of a miniaturized UWB antenna with band-notched and high frequency rejection capability," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 25, No. 8--9, 1103-1112, 2011.
14. Azim, R. and M. T. Islam, "Compact planar UWB antenna with band notch characteristics for WLAN and DSRC," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 133, 391-406, 2013.
15. Li, W.-M., T. Ni, S.-M. Zhang, J. Huang, and Y.-C. Jiao, "UWB printed slot antenna with dual band-notched characteristic," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 25, 143-151, 2011.
16. Guo, Q., Z. Li, J. Wang, and J. Ju, "A band-notched CPW fed antenna with ring ground for ultra-wideband applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, 1691-1694, 2010.
17. Movahedinia, R. and M. N. Azarmanesh, "A novel planar UWB monopole antenna with variable frequency band-notch function based on etched slot-type ELC on the patch," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 52, No. 1, 229-232, Jun. 2010.
18. Sim, C.-Y.-D., "Planar UWB antenna with 5 GHz band rejection switching function at ground plane," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 106, 321-333, 2010.
19. Li, C. M. and L. H. Ye, "Improved dual band-notched UWB slot antenna with controllable notched band-width," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 115, 477-493, 2011.
20. Kim, K. H., Y. J. Cho, S. H. Hwang, and S. O. Park, "Band-notched UWB planar monopole antenna with two parasitic patches," Electron. Lett., 783-785, 2005.
21. Chung, K., S. Hong, and J. Choi, "Ultra-wideband printed monopole antenna with band-notch filter," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 1, No. 2, 518-522, 2007.
22. Xu, H.-Y., H. Zhang, K. Lu, and X.-F. Zeng, "A holly-leaf-shaped monopole antenna with low RCS for UWB application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 117, 35-50, 2011.
23. Liu, J., K. P. Esselle, S. G. Hay, and S.-S. Zhong, "Study of an extremely wideband monopole antenna with triple band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 123, 143-158, 2012.
24. Lee, W.-S., K.-S. Oh, and J.-W. Yu, "A wideband planar monopole antenna array with circular polarized and band-notched characteristics," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 128, 381-398, 2012.
25. Zaker, R. and A. Abdipour, "A very compact ultrawideband printed omnidirectional monopole antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Lett., Vol. 9, 471-473, 2010.
26. Chung, K., J. Kim, and J. Choi, "Wideband microstrip-fed monopole antenna having frequency band-notch function," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Components Letters, Vol. 15, No. 11, 766-768, 2005.
27. Zhao, Y. L., Y. C. Jiao, G. Zhao, L. Zhang, Y. Song, and Z. B. Wong, "Compact planar monopole UWB antenna with band-notched characteristic," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, No. 10, 2656-2658, 2008.
28. Abdollahvand, M., G. Dadashzadeh, and D. Mostafa, "Compact dual band-notched printed monopole antenna for UWB application," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Lett., Vol. 9, 1148-1151, 2010.
29. Hong, C.-Y., C.-W. Ling, I.-Y. Tarn, and S.-J. Chung, "Design of a planar ultra-wideband antenna with a new band-notch structure," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 55, No. 12, 3391-3397, 2007.
30. Jiang, J. B., Y. Song, Z. H. Yan, X. Zhang, and W. Wu, "Band-notched UWB printed antenna with an inverted-L-slotted ground," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, No. 1, 260-263, 2009.
31. Dong, Y.-D. and W. Hong, "Analysis of planar ultrawideband antennas with on-ground slot band-notched structures," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 57, No. 7, 1886-1893, 2009.
32. Jin, J.-M., The Finite Element Method in Electromagnetics, Wiley-IEEE, 2002.
33. Chari, M. V. K. and P. P. Silvester, "Finite Elements in Electrical and Magnetic Field Problems," Wiley-Interscience, 1980.