Radar waveform synthesizer is a key component in radar system as it determines the best achievable resolution. A popular approach in radar waveform synthesis is the Direct Digital Synthesis approach where the signal is first generated in digital domain and converted into analog signal using a High Speed Digital-to-Analog Converter (HS-DAC). In this paper, a miniature and low cost radar waveform synthesizer is proposed. The synthesizer is targeted for Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) based radar system applications that require miniaturized equipment due to limited space in aircraft's fuselage. The signal synthesizer has been developed using Altera DE3 development board (Stratix III FPGA) and a custom made dual-channel 420 MSPS HS-DAC board. The proposed system is capable of generating various types of radar waveforms: a) Linear Frequency Modulated (LFM) or chirp pulse, b) Frequency Modulated Continuous Wave (FMCW), and c) Calibration Tone (Cal-Tone), for use in different types of radar applications. The distinguishing feature of the proposed synthesizer is its capability in reconfiguring the signal properties in real-time. The performance of the synthesizer has been benchmarked with commercially available radar waveform signal synthesizer and comparable performance has been observed.
2. Drinkwater, M. K., R. Kwok, and E. Rignot, "Synthetic aperture radar polarimetry of sea ice," Proceeding of the 1990 International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, Vol. 2, 1525-1528, 1990.
3. Lynne, G. L. and G. R. Taylor, "Geological assessment of SIR-B imagery of the Amadeus Basin," IEEE Trans. on Geosc. and Remote Sensing, Vol. 24, No. 4, 575-581, 1986.
4. Hovland, H. A., J. A. Johannessen, and G. Digranes, "Slick detection in SAR images," Proceeding of the 1994 International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, 2038-2040, 1994.
5. Walker, B. , G. Sander, M. Thompson, B. Burns, R. Fellerhoff, and D. Dubbert, "A high-resolution, four-band SAR testbed with real-time image formation ," Proceeding of the 1986 International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, 1881-1885, 1996.
6. Chan, Y. K. and V. C. Koo, "An introduction to synthetic aperture radar (SAR)," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 2, 27-60, 2008.
7. Koo, V. C., Y. K. Chan, V. Gobi, T. S. Lim, B.-K. Chung, and H.-T. Chuah, "The masar project: Design and development," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 50, 279-298, 2005.
8. Mohammadpoor, M., R. S. A. Raja Abdullah, A. Ismail, and A. F. Abas, "A circular synthetic aperture radar for on-the-ground object detection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 122, 269-292, 2012.
9. Wei, X., P. Huang, and Y.-K. Deng, "Multi-channel SPCMB-TOPS SAR for high-resolution wide-swath imaging," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 116, 533-551, 2011.
10. Chan, Y. K., B.-K. Chung, and H.-T. Chuah, "Transmitter and receiver design of an experimental airborne synthetic aperture radar sensor," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 49, 203-218, 2004.
11. Wirth, W. D., "High-range resolution for radar by oversampling and LMS pulse compression," IEE Proceedings --- Radar, Sonar and Navigation, Vol. 146, No. 2, 95-100, 1999.
12. Gonzalez, J. E. , J. M. Pardo, A. Asensio, and M. Burgos, "Digital signal generation for LPM-LPI radars," Electronics Letter, Vol. 39, 464-465, March 2003.
13. Chan, Y. K. and S. Y. Lim, "Synthetic aperture radar (SAR) signal generation," Progress In Electromagnetics Research B, Vol. 1, 269-290, 2008.
14. Chua, M. Y. and V. C. Koo, "FPGA-based chirp generator for high resolution UAV SAR," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 99, 71-88, 2009.
15. Koo, V. C., Y. K. Chan, V. Gobi, M. Y. Chua, C. H. Lim, C.-S. Lim, C. C. Thum, T. S. Lim, Z. Bin Ahmad, K. A. Mahmood, M. H. Bin Shahid, C. Y. Ang, W. Q. Tan, P. N. Tan, K. S. Yee, W. G. Cheaw, H. S. Boey, A. L. Choo, and B. C. Sew, "A new unmanned aerial vehicle synthetic aperture radar for environmental monitoring," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 122, 245-268, 2012.
16. Zaugg, E. C., D. L. Hudson, D. G. Long, and , "The BYU SAR: A small, student-built SAR for UAV operation," IEEE International Conference on Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium IGARSS, 411-414, 2006.
17. Edwards, M., D. Madsen, C. Stringham, A. Margulis, B. Wicks, and D. G. Long, "MicroASAR: A small, robust LFM-CW SAR for operation on UAVs and small aircraft," IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium IGARSS, Vol. 5, V514-V517, 2008.
18. Agilent, "Agilent N8241A arbitrary waveform generator synthetic instrument module --- Technical overview,", 2009.
19. Devices, A., A Technical Tutorial on Digital Signal Synthesis, 1999.