In this paper, a technical concept and design of circular polarization detection patch array antenna using a double-balanced RF multiplier is proposed. The microwave integration technology is effectively employed to realize the proposed array antenna. The double-balanced RF multiplier is integrated with an orthogonal planar array antenna. The array antenna which consists of 12 patch elements and the RF multiplier is realized by embedding four zero bias Schottky barrier diodes on a slot-ring. The Both-sided MIC technology is successfully employed to realize the array antenna. The array antenna is realized in a very simple and compact structure as all the antenna elements, feeding circuit and the RF multiplier are integrated on both sides of a dielectric substrate. The ability of the proposed array antenna to detect the orthogonal circular polarization (LHCP and RHCP) is successfully confirmed by the experimental investigation.
2. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-sami, "Patch Antennas with Switchable Slots (PASS) in wireless communications: Concepts, design and application," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 47, No. 2, 13-29, 2005.
3. Qian, Y. and T. Itoh, "Progress in active integrated antennas and their applications," IEEE Trans. Micro. Theory Tech., Vol. 46, No. 11, 1891-1900, 1998.
4. Chen, L., F.-S. Zhang, Y.-C. Jiao, F. Zhang, and X. Xue, "A three-fed microstrip antenna for wideband circular polarizations," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Prop. Letters, Vol. 9, 359-362, 2010.
5. Sung, Y. J., T. U. Jang, and Y. S. Kim, "A reconfigurable microstrip antenna for switchable polarization," IEEE Microwave and Wireless Component Letters, Vol. 14, No. 11, 534-536, 2004.
6. Hsu, S.-H. and K. Chang, "A novel reconfigurable microstrip antenna with switchable circular polarization," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Prop. Letters, Vol. 6, 160-162, 2007.
7. Nasimuddin, K. , P. Esselle, and A. K. Verma, "Wideband circularly polarized stacked microstrip antennas with single microstrip feeds and short horns," IEEE International Symposium on Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 6, 21-24, 2007.
8. Flynt, R. A. and F. Lu, "Low cost and compact active integrated antenna transceiver for system applications," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Technique, Vol. 44, No. 10, 1642-1649, 1996.
9. Shi, L., X. Wang, and S. Xiao, "Polarization discrimination between repeater false target and radar target," Science in China, series F: Information Science, Vol. 52, No. 1, 149-158, 2009.
10. Yoshimura, S., Y. Ushijima, E. Nishiyama, and M. Aikawa, "Linear polarization discrimination array antenna," International Symposium on Antenna and Propagation ISAP, 2011.
11. Kodama, K., E. Nishiyama, and M. Aikawa, "Slot array antenna using both-sided MIC technology," IEEE International Symposium on Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 03, 2715-2718, 2004.
12. Aikawa, M. and H. Ogawa, "Double-sided MIC's and their applications," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Technique, Vol. 37, No. 2, 406-413, 1989.
13. Egashira, K., E. Nishiyama, and M. Aikawa, "Microstrip array antenna using both-sided MIC feed circuits," Asia-Pacific Microwave conference, APMC, 2002.
14. Mouw, R. B., "A broad-band hybrid junction and application to star modulator," IEEE Trans. on Microwave Theory and Technique, Vol. 16, No. 11, 911-918, 1968.
15. Ushijima, Y., E. Nishiyama, and M. Aikawa, "Circular polarization switchable microstrip array antenna with SPDT switch circuit," IEEE International Symposium on Antenna and Propagation, 2010.