In this paper, we have analyzed the channel capacity by using the maximal-ratio combing (MRC) diversity scheme for communication systems operating over a composite fading environment modeled by the Generalized-K distribution at the receiver. For the Generalized-K fading channel with arbitrary values for small and large scale fading parameters, we have derived a closed-form expression for the moment generating function (MGF) of the received signal-to-noise ratio (SNR) and utilized it to obtain a novel closed-form expressions for the channel capacity under different adaptive transmission schemes. The result of the proposed methods is compared with other reported literature to support the analysis.
2. Erricolo, D. and P. L. E. Uslenghi, "Two dimensional simulator for propagation in urban environments," IEEE Transactions on Vehicular Technology, Vol. 50, No. 4, 1158-1168, July 2001.
3. Varzakas, P. and G. S. Tombras, "Spectral effciency of a single cell multi-carrier DS-CDMA system in Rayleigh fading," Journal of the Franklin Institute-engineering and Applied Mathematics, Vol. 343, 295-300, 2006.
4. Varzakas, P. and G. S. Tombras, "Spectral effciency of a cellular MC/DS-CDMA system in Rayleigh fading," International Journal of Communication Systems, Vol. 18, No. 8, 795-801, Oct. 2005.
5. Sagias, N. C., P. Varzakas, G. S. Tombras, and G. K. Karagiannidis, "Spectral effciency for selection combining RAKE receivers over Weibull fading channels," Journal of the Franklin Institute- Engineering and Applied Mathematics, Vol. 342, 7-13, 2005.
6. Shankar, P. M., "Error rates in generalized shadowed fading channels," Wireless Personal Communications, Vol. 28, No. 4, 233-238, Feb. 2004.
7. Abdi, A. and M. Kaveh, "K-distribution: An appropriate substitute for Rayleigh-lognormal distribution in fading-shadowing wireless channels," Electron. Lett., Vol. 34, No. 9, 851-852, Apr. 1998.
8. Abdi, A. and M. Kaveh, "Comparison of DPSK and MSK bit error rates for K and Rayleigh-Lognormal fading distributions," IEEE Commun. Lett., Vol. 4, No. 4, 122-124, Apr. 2000.
9. Dwivedi, V. K. and G. Singh, "Analysis of channel capacity of Generalized-K fading with maximal-ratio combining diversity receivers," Proc. of IEEE Int. Conference on Commun. Systems and Network Technol. (CSNT-2011), 550-552, India, Jun. 3-5, 2011.
10. Hui, H. T., "The performance of the maximum ratio combining method in correlated Rician-fading channels for antenna-diversity signal combining," IEEE Trans. Antennas Propag., Vol. 53, No. 3, 958-964, Mar. 2005.
11. Boche, H. and E. A. Jorswieck, "On the ergodic capacity as a function of the correlation properties in systems with multiple transmit antennas without CSI at the transmitter," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 52, No. 10, 1654-1657, Oct. 2004.
12. Dwivedi, V. K. and G. Singh, "Error-rate analysis of OFDM for correlated Nakagami-m fading channel by using maximal-ratio combining diversity," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technol., Vol. 3, No. 6, 717-726, Dec. 2011.
13. Shankar, P. M., "Performance analysis of diversity combining algorithms in shadowed fading channels," Wireless Personal Commun., Vol. 37, No. 1-2, 61-72, Feb. 2006.
14. Goldsmith, A. and P. Varaiya, "Capacity of fading channels with channel side information," IEEE Trans. Inform. Theory, Vol. 43, 1896-1992, Nov. 1997.
15. Lee, W. C. Y., "Estimate of channel capacity in Rayleigh fading environment," IEEE Trans. on Veh. Techlo., Vol. 93, 187-189, Aug. 1990.
16. Gunther, C. G., "Comment on estimate of channel capacity in Rayleigh fading environment," IEEE Trans. on Veh. Technol., Vol. 45, 401-403, May 1996.
17. Alouini, M. S. and A. J. Goldsmith, "Capacity of Rayleigh fading channels under different adaptive transmission and diversity-combining techniques," IEEE Trans. on Veh. Technol., Vol. 48, 1165-1181, Jul. 1999.
18. Khatalin, S. and J. P. Fonseka, "Capacity of correlated Nakagami-m fading channels with diversity combining techniques," IEEE Trans. on Veh. Technol., Vol. 55, 142-150, Jan. 2006.
19. Karagiannidis, G. K., N. C. Sagias, and G. S. Tombras, "New results for the Shannon channel capacity in generalized fading channels," IEEE Commun. Lett., Vol. 9, No. 2, 97-99, Feb. 2005.
20. Khatalin, S. and J. P. Fonseka, "On the channel capacity in Rician and Hoyt fading environment with MRC diversity," IEEE Trans. on Veh. Technol., Vol. 55, No. 1, 137-141, Jan. 2006.
21. Laourine, A., M. S. Alouini, S. Affes, and A. St'ephenne, "On the capacity of Generalized-K fading channels," IEEE Trans. on Wireless Commun., Vol. 7, No. 7, 2441-2445, Jul. 2008.
22. Efthymoglou, G. P., N. Y. Ermolova, and V. A. Aalo, "Channel capacity and average error rates in generalized-K fading channels," IET Commun., Vol. 4, No. 11, 1364-1372, Jul. 2010.
23. Zhang, Q. T. and D. P. Liu, "Simple capacity formulas for correlated SIMO Nakagami channels," Proc. IEEE Veh. Technol. Conf., Vol. 1, 554-556, Apr. 2003.
24. Hamdi, K. A., "Capacity of MRC on correlated rician fading channels," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 56, 708-711, May 2008.
25. Palat, R. C., A. Annamalai, and J. H. Reed, "An effcient method for evaluating information outage probability and ergodic capacity of OSTBC system," IEEE Commun. Lett., Vol. 12, 191-193, 2008.
26. Di Renzo, M., F. Graziosi, and F. Santucci, "Channel capacity over generalized fading channels: A novel MGF-based approach for performance analysis and design of wireless communication systems," IEEE Trans. Veh. Tech., Vol. 59, 127-149, Jan. 2010.
27. Gradshteyn, I. S. and I. M. Ryzhik, Table of Integrals, Series, and Products, 7th Edition, Academic, New York, 2007.
28. Prudnikov, A. P., Y. A. Brychkov, and O. I. Marichev, "Integrals and series: More special functions," Gordon and Breach Science, Vol. 3, Translated from the Russian by G. G. Gould, 1990.
29. Alouini, M.-S., A. Abdi, and M. Kaveh, "Sum of gamma variates and performance of wireless communication systems over Nakagami-fading channels," IEEE Trans. Veh. Technol., Vol. 50, No. 6, 1471-1480, Nov. 2001.
30. Simon, M. K. and M.-S. Alouini, "A unified approach to the performance analysis of digital communications over generalized fading channels," Proc. IEEE, Vol. 86, No. 9, 1860-1877, Sep. 1998.
31. Annamalai, A., C. Tellambura, and V. K. Bhargava, "A general method for calculating error probabilities over fading channels," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 53, No. 5, 841-852, May 2005.
32. Ko, Y.-C., M.-S. Alouini, and M. K. Simon, "Outage probability of diversity systems over generalized fading channels," IEEE Trans.Commun., Vol. 48, No. 11, 1783-1787, Nov. 2000.
33. Annamalai, A., C. Tellambura, and V. K. Bhargava, "Simple and accurate methods for outage analysis in cellular mobile radio systems - A unified approach," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 49, No. 2, 1879-1883, Nov. 2001.
34. Veeravalli, V. V., "On performance analysis for signaling on correlated fading channels," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 49, No. 11, 1879-1883, Nov. 2001.
35. Alouini, M.-S. and A. Goldsmith, "A unified approach for calculating error rates of linearly modulated signals over generalized fading channels," IEEE Trans. Commun., Vol. 47, No. 92, 1324-1334, Sep. 1999.