A reconfigurable patch antenna consisting of a square patch with two cross-shaped diagonal slots is presented. The proposed design approach is based on the use of two pairs of switches in order to obtain both frequency and polarization reconfigurability. Specifically, three different polarization states have been obtained: A Right-Hand Circular Polarization, a Left-Hand Circular Polarization and a Linear Polarization. Experimental results, referred to a realization on a FR4 substrate of the layouts corresponding to the useful switch configurations, are reported.
2. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory, 2 Ed., John Wiley & Sons, 1997.
3. Kumar, G., K. P. Ray, and K. P. Ray, Broadband Microstrip Antenna, Artech House, 2002.
4. Sharma, P. and K. Gupta, "Analysis and optimized design of single feed circularly polarized microstrip antennas," IEEE Transaction on Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 31, 949-955, Nov. 1983.
5. Lu, J.-H., C.-L. Tang, and K.-L. Wong, "Single-feed slotted equilateral-triangular microstrip antenna for circular polarization," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 47, 1174-1178, Jul. 1999.
6. Lu, J.-H. and K. P. Yang, "A simple design for single-feed circularly-polarized microstrip antennas," Proc. Natl. Sci. Counc. ROC(A), 130-133, 2000.
7. Chen, W.-S., C.-K. Wu, and K.-L. Wong, "Novel compact circularly polarized square microstrip antenna," IEEE Transaction on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 49, 340-342, Mar. 2001.
8. Beddeleem, G., J. M. Ribero, G. Kossiavas, R. Staraj, and E. Fond, "Dual-frequency circularly polarized antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 50, 177-180, Jan. 2008.
9. Roy, J. S. and M. Thomas, "Design of a circularly polarized microstrip antenna for WLAN," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 3, 79-90, 2008.
10. Nageswara Rao, P. and N. V. S. N. Sarma, "A single feed circularly polarized fractal shaped microstrip antenna with fractal slot," PIERS Proceedings, 195-197, Hangzhou, China, March 24-28, 2008.
11. Jalal, A. S. A., "A new compact patch antenna design for circular polarization applications based on 3rd iteration Minkowski-like pre-fractal geometry," Journal of Engineering and Applied Sciences, Vol. 3, 729-734, 2008.
12. Yang, F. and Y. Rahmat-Samii, "Patch antenna with switchable slot (PASS): Dual-frequency operation," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 31, 166-168, Nov. 2001.
13. Liu, S., M.-J. Lee, C. Jung, G.-P. Li, and F. De Flaviis, "A frequency-reconfigurable circularly polarized patch antenna by integrating MEMS switches," Proc. Antennas and Propagation Society International Symposium, Vol. 2, 413-416, 2005.
14. Fukusako, T., N. Kitamura, and N. Mita, "Design of patch antenna with switchable circular polarization using a branched feed circuit," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 48, 1-4, Jan. 2006.
15. Chung, K., Y. Nam, T. Yun, and J. Choi, "Reconfigurable microstrip patch antenna with switchable polarization," ETRI Journal, Vol. 28, 379-382, Jun. 2006.
16. Zhao, Y.-L., Y.-C. Jiao, G. Zhao, Z. B.Weng, and F.-S. Zhang, "A novel polarization reconfigurable ring-slot antenna with frequency agility," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 51, 540-543, Dec. 2008.
17. Row, J.-S. and J.-F. Wu, "Aperture-coupled microstrip antenna with switchable polarization," IEEE Transaction on Antenna and Propagation, Vol. 54, 2686-2691, Sep. 2006.
18. Saed, M. A., "Reconfigurable broadband microstrip antenna fed by a coplanar waveguide," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 55, 227-239, 2005.