This paper presents a new enhancement technique for infrared images. This technique combines the benefits of homomorphic image processing and the additive wavelet transform. The idea behind this technique is based on decomposing the image into subbands in an additive fashion using the additive wavelet transform. This transform gives the image as an addition of subbands of the same resolution. The homomorphic processing is performed on each subband, separately. It is known that the homomorphic processing on images is performed in the log domain which transforms the image into illumination and reflectance components. Enhancement of the reflectance reinforces details in the image. So, applying this process in each subband enhances the details of the image in each subband. Finally, an inverse additive wavelet transform is performed on the homomorphic enhanced subbands to get an infrared image with better visual details.
2. Kuruganti, P. T. and H. Qi, "Asymmetry analysis in breast cancer detection using thermal infrared images ," Proceedings of the Second Joint EMBS/BMES Conference, USA, 2002.
3. Scales, N., C. Herry, and M. Frize, "Automated image segmentation for breast analysis using infrared images," Proceedings of the 26th Annual International Conference of the IEEE EMBS, San Francisco, CA, USA, 2004.
4. Zhang, C. J., F. Yang, X. D.Wang, and H. R. Zhang, "An efficient non-linear algorithmfor contrast enhancement of infrared image ," Proceedings of the Fourth International Conference on Machine Learning and Cybernetics, Guangzhou, 2005.
5. Qil, H., W. E. Snyder, J. F. Head, and R. L. Elliott, "Detecting breast cancer from infrared images by asymmetry analysis," Proceedings of the 22nd Annual EMBS International Conference, USA, 2000.
6. Andreone, L., P. C. Antonello, M. Bertozzi, A. Broggi, A. Fascioli, and D. Ranzato, "Vehicle detection and localization in infra-red images," The IEEE 5th International Conference on Intelligent Transportation Systems , Singapore, 2002.
7. Zhang, C., X. Wang, H. Zhang, G. Lv, and H. Wei, "A reducing multi-noise contrast enhancement algorithm for infrared image ," Proceedings of the First International Conference on Innovative Computing, Information and Control (ICICIC'06), 2006.
8. Nunez, J., X. Otazu, O. Fors, A. Prades, V. Pala, and R. Arbiol, "Multiresolution-based image fusion with additive wavelet decomposition," IEEE Trans. Geosci. Remote Sensing , Vol. 37, No. 3, 1204-1211, May 1999.
9. Lim, J. S., Two-Dimensional Signal and Image Processing, Prentice Hall Inc., 1990.