A frequency reconfigurable microstrip patch antenna with two asymmetric L-slots is proposed in this article. Two RF pin diodes inserted on the asymmetric L-slots are used to switch the operating frequency over the C band. Design and optimization of different physical parameters of the antenna viz. slot dimensions, feed location, notch size and pin diode positions are carried out using High Frequency Structure Simulator Version 13.0. The design is implemented on an FR4 substrate (εr = 4.4) of dimension (35×40×1.6) mm3. DC bias circuitry for RF PIN diode activation is also integrated with the antenna. Switching combinations of two PIN diodes offer four reconfiguration modes of operation at 4.75, 5.05, 5.11 and 5.18 GHz. In all the states, the -10 dB bandwidth shows minimal changes with average variations of 15.8% with respect to the state when both PIN diodes are OFF. The gains of the antenna for different modes of operation are found almost stable with an average of 6.64 dBi.
2. Christodoulou, C. G., et al., "Reconfigurable antennas for wireless and space applications," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 100, No. 7, 2250-2261, 2012.
3. Nazir, I., I. E. Rana, N. U. A. Mir, and K. Afreen, "Design and analysis of a frequency reconfigurable microstrip patch antenna switching between four frequency bands," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 68, 179-191, 2016.
4. Hinsz, L. and B. D. Braaten, "A frequency reconfigurable transmitter antenna with autonomous switching capabilities," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 7, 3809-3813, 2014.
5. Costantine, J., et al., "Y. Tawk, S. E. Barbin, et al.," Proceedings of the IEEE, Vol. 103, No. 3, 424-437, 2015.
6. Ojaroudi Parchin, N., et al., "Reconfigurable antennas: Switching techniques — A survey," Electronics, Vol. 9, No. 2, 336, 2020.
7. Ismail, M. F., M. K. Rahim, and H. A. Majid, "Wideband to narrowband frequency reconfiguration using PIN diode," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, No. 6, 1407-1412, 2012.
8. Yu, Y., et al., "An electrically small frequency reconfigurable antenna with a wide tuning range," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 103-106, 2011.
9. Li, H., et al., "A simple compact reconfigurable slot antenna with a very wide tuning range," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 58, No. 11, 3725-3728, 2010.
10. Kalteh, A. A., et al., "Ultra-wideband circular slot antenna with reconfigurable notch band function," IET Microwaves, Antennas & Propagation, Vol. 6, No. 1, 108-112, 2012.
11. Majid, H. A., et al., "Frequency-reconfigurable microstrip patch-slot antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 218-220, 2013.
12. Pazin, L. and Y. Leviatan, "Reconfigurable slot antenna for switchable multiband operation in a wide frequency range," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 12, 329-332, 2013.
13. Borakhade, D. K. and S. B. Pokle, "Pentagon slot resonator frequency reconfigurable antenna for wideband reconfiguration," AEU — International Journal of Electronics and Communications, Vol. 69, No. 10, 1562-1568, 2015.
14. Baruah, R. and N. S. Bhattacharyya, "A frequency reconfigurable meandered slot cut rectangular patch antenna using PIN diodes," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 77, 81-89, 2017.
15. Xiao, S., B. Z. Wang, and X. S. Yang, "A novel frequency-reconfigurable patch antenna," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 36, No. 4, 295-297, 2003.
16. Ren, Z., et al., "A compact frequency reconfigurable unequal U-slot antenna with a wide tunability range," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 39, 9-16, 2013.
17. Sharma, S. and C. C. Tripathi, "Frequency reconfigurable U-slot antenna for SDR application," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 55, 129-136, 2015.
18. Sheta, A. F. and S. F. Mahmoud, "A widely tunable compact patch antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 40-42, 2008.
19. Fertas, F., M. Challal, and K. Fertas, "A compact slot-antenna with tunable-frequency for WLAN, WiMAX, LTE, and X-band applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 102, 203-212, 2020.
20. Braham Chaouche, Y., F. Bouttout, M. Nedil, I. Messaoudene, and I. B. Mabrouk, "A frequency reconfigurable U-shaped antenna for dual-band WIMAX/WLAN systems," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 87, 63-71, 2018.
21. Ramli, N. H., M. R. Kamarudin, N. A. Samsuri, E. N. Ahyat, and N. H. Khamis, "A 4.8 GHz implantable small printed antenna for wireless implantable body area network applications," IEEE International RF and Microwave Conference (RFM), 210-213, IEEE, Dec. 9, 2013.
22. Chen, W. S. and Y. L. Chang, "Small-size 5G C-band/WLAN 5.2/5.8 GHz MIMO antennas for laptop computer applications," IEEE International Workshop on Electromagnetics: Applications and Student Innovation Competition (iWEM), 1-2, IEEE, Aug. 29, 2018.
23. Balanis, C. A., Antenna Theory: Analysis and Design, 816-826, Wiley, Hoboken, New Jersey, USA, 2005.
24. Tian, W., H. Cui, and W. Yu, "Analysis and experimental test of electrical characteristics on bonding wire," Electronics, Vol. 8, No. 3, 365, Mar. 2019.
25. Singh, P. P., S. K. Sharma, and P. K. Goswami, "A compact frequency reconfigurable printed antenna for WLAN, WiMax multiple applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 106, 151-161, 2020.
26. Ullah, S., A. Shaheen, B. A. Khan, and J. A. Flint, "A multi-band switchable antenna for Wi-Fi, 3G advanced, WiMAX, and WLAN wireless applications," International Journal of Microwave and Wireless Technologies, Vol. 10, No. 8, 991-997, 2018.
27. Chattha, H. T., M. Hanif, X. Yang, I. E. Rana, and Q. H. Abbasi, "Frequency reconfigurable patch antenna for 4G LTE applications," Progress In Electromagnetics Research M, Vol. 69, 1-13, 2018.
28. Sahu, N. K. and A. K. Sharma, "An investigation of pattern and frequency reconfigurable microstrip slot antenna using PIN diodes," 2017 Progress In Electromagnetics Research Symposium — Spring (PIERS), St. Petersburg, Russia, May 22–25, 2017.
29. Mansoul, A., F. Ghanem, M. R. Hamid, and M. Trabelsi, "A selective frequency-reconfigurable antenna for cognitive radio applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 13, 515-518, 2014.
30. Yang, S. L., A. A. Kishk, and K. F. Lee, "Frequency reconfigurable U-slot microstrip patch antenna," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 7, 127-129, 2008.
31. Anagnostou, D. E. and A. A. Gheethan, "A coplanar reconfigurable folded slot antenna without bias network for WLAN applications," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 8, 1057-1060, 2009.
32. Tekin, I. and M. Knox, "Reconfigurable microstrip patch antenna for WLAN software defined radio applications," Microwave and Optical Technology Letters, Vol. 54, No. 3, 644-649, 2012.