A novel high-gain polarization reconfigurable antenna composed of a polarization conversion metasurface (PCM) and a linearly polarized source patch antenna is presented in this article. The PCM is placed above the source patch antenna with an air gap. The proposed PCM can convert the linear polarization (LP) wave radiated by the source patch antenna to LP wave, right-hand circular polarization (RHCP) wave and left-hand circular polarization (LHCP) wave by rotating the PCM around the center of the antenna. Meanwhile, the proposed PCM can serve as the partially reflective surface (PRS) of a Fabry-Perot (FP) resonant cavity which can achieve gain enhancement. In order to validate the performance of the proposed design, a prototype antenna is fabricated and measured. Simulated and measured results agree well. From 10.43 GHz to 11.2 GHz, the polarization reconfiguration can be achieved by rotating the PCM to different angles while maintaining the high gain performance simultaneously.
2. Yang, X., B. Shao, F. Yang, A. Z. Elsherbeni, and B. Gong, "A polarization recon¯gurable patch antenna with loop slots on the ground plane," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 11, 69-72, 2012.
3. Wu, Y., C. Wu, D. Lai, and F. Chen, "A reconfigurable quadri-polarization diversity aperture- coupled patch," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 55, No. 3, 1009-1012, 2007.
4. Hu, J., Z. Hao, and W. Hong, "Design of a wideband quad-polarization recon¯gurable patch antenna array using a stacked structure," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 6, 3014-3023, 2017.
5. Zhu, H. L., S. W. Cheung, X. H. Liu, and T. I. Yuk, "Design of polarization reconfigurable antenna using metasurface," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 6, 2891-2898, 2014.
6. Kandasamy, K., B. Majumder, J. Mukherjee, and K. P. Ray, "Low-RCS and polarization- reconfigurable antenna using cross-slot-based metasurface," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 14, 1638-1641, 2015.
7. Li, K., Y. Liu, Y. Jia, and Y. J. Guo, "A circularly polarized high-gain antenna with low RCS over a wideband using chessboard polarization conversion metasurfaces," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 65, No. 8, 4288-4292, 2017.
8. Swain, R. and R. K. Mishra, "Metasurface cavity antenna for broadband high-gain circularly polarized radiation," International Journal of RF and Microwave Computer-Aided Engineering, Vol. 29, No. 3, e21609, 2019.
9. Xie, P., G.Wang, H. Li, J. Liang, and X. Gao, "Circularly polarized Fabry-Perot antenna employing a receiver-transmitter polarization conversion metasurface," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 68, No. 4, 3213-3218, 2020.
10. Muhammad, S. A., R. Sauleau, L. L. Coq, and H. Legay, "Self-generation of circular polarization using compact Fabry-Perot cavity antennas," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, 907-910, 2011.
11. Orr, R., G. Goussetis, and V. Fusco, "Design method for circularly polarized Fabry-Perot cavity antennas," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 62, No. 1, 19-26, 2014.