In this paper, microwave breast cancer detection is investigated using the Ultra-Wide Band (UWB) radar imaging technique. A novel calibration approach based on the Estimation of Signal Parameters via Rotational Invariance Technique (ESPRIT) is used and adapted to work in this field. Using this method, many high amplitude undesired responses can be removed like early time clutter, late time clutter, and the mutual coupling between antennas. Using an electromagnetic simulation tool, a numerical phantom with a heterogeneous structure and dispersive dielectric properties is made for simulating the interactions of the electromagnetic fields with various breast tissues and investigating the proposed approach. The calibrated signals show the capability of the proposed algorithm in separating the tumor/glandular responses from the clutter. Also, the results of the proposed algorithm are compared with the Wiener algorithm results which are considered one of the best techniques to remove clutter, reduce late time clutters in the multistatic, and enhance the beamformer algorithm performance. Moreover, we propose the use of Transmitting-Receiving Antenna Separation Distance (TRASD) to limit the reflection angles from the voxel under the calculations of DAS and IDAS beamforming algorithms.
2. Rahama, Y. A., O. A. Aryani, U. A. Din, M. A. Awar, A. Zakaria, and N. Qaddoumi, "Novel microwave tomography system using a phased-array antenna," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 66, No. 11, 5119-5128, 2018.
3. Caorsi, S., M. Donelli, A. Lommi, and A. Massa, "Location and imaging of two-dimensional scatterers by using a particle swarm algorithm," Journal of Electromagnetic Waves and Applications, Vol. 18, No. 4, 481-494, 2019.
4. Mahmud, M. Z., M. T. Islam, N. Misran, S. Kibria, and M. Samsuzzaman, "Microwave imaging for breast tumor detection using uniplanar AMC based CPW-fed microstrip antenna," IEEE Access, Vol. 6, 44763-44775, 2018.
5. Fear, E. C., X. Li, S. C. Hagness, and M. A. Stuchly, "Confocal microwave imaging for breast cancer detection: Localization of tumors in three dimensions," IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng., Vol. 49, No. 8, 812-822, 2002.
6. Hagness, S. C., A. Taove, and J. E. Bridges, "Two-dimensional FDTD analysis of a pulsed microwave confocal system for breast cancer detection: Fixed focus and antenna array sensors," IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng., Vol. 45, No. 12, 1470-1479, 1998.
7. Bond, E. J., X. Li, S. C. Hagness, and B. van Veen, "Microwave imaging via space-time beamforming for early detection of breast cancer," IEEE Trans. Ant. Propag., Vol. 51, No. 8, 1690-1705, 2003.
8. Williams, T. C., E. C. Fear, and D. T. Westwick, "Tissue sensing adaptive radar for breast cancer detection | Investigations of an improved skin-sensing method," IEEE Transactions on Microwave Theory and Techniques, Vol. 54, No. 4, 1308-1314, Apr. 2006.
9. O'Halloran, M., M. Glavin, and E. Jones, "Channel-ranked beamformer for he early detection of breast cancer," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 103, 153-168, 2010.
10. Nilavalan, R., A. Gbedemah, I. J. Craddock, X. Li, and S. C. Hagness, "Numerical investigation of breast tumor detection using multi-static radar," IEE Electronics Letters, Vol. 39, No. 25, Dec. 11, 2003.
11. Lim, H., N. Nhung, E. Li, and N. Thang, "Confocal microwave imaging for breast cancer detection: Delay-multiply-and-sum image reconstruction algor," IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng., Vol. 55, No. 6, 1697-1704, Jun. 2008.
12. Yin, T., F. H. Ali, and C. C. Reyes-Aldasoro, "A robust and artifact resistant algorithm of ultrawideband imaging system for breast cancer detection," IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng., Vol. 62, No. 6, 1514-1525, 2015.
13. Lazebnik, M., L. McCartney, D. Popovic, C. B. Watkins, M. J. Lindstrom, J. Harter, S. Sewall, A. Magliocco, J. H. Booske, M. Okoniewski, and S. C. Hagness, "A large-scale study of the ultra-wideband microwave dielectric properties of normal breast tissue obtained from reduction surgeries," Phys. Med. Biol., Vol. 52, 2637-2656, 2007.
14. Lazebnik, M., D. Popovic, L. McCartney, C. B. Watkins, M. J. Lindstrom, J. Harter, S. Sewall, T. Ogilvie, A. Magliocco, T. M. Breslin, W. Temple, D. Mew, J. H. Booske, M. Okoniewski, and S. C. Hagness, "A large-scale study of the ultra-wideband microwave dielectric properties of normal, benign and malignant breast tissues obtained from cancer surgeries," Phys. Med. Biol., Vol. 52, No. 20, 6093-6115, Oct. 2007.
15. Maskooki, A., E. Gunawan, C. B. Soh, and K. S. Low, "Frequency domain skin artifact removal method for ultra-wideband breast cancer detection," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 98, 299-314, 2009.
16. Zhi, W. and F. Chin, "Entropy-based time window for artifact removal in UWB imaging of breast cancer detection," IEEE Signal Processing Letters, Vol. 13, No. 10, 585-588, 2006.
17. Elahi, M. A., A. Shahzad, M. Glavin, E. Jones, and M. O'Halloran, "Hybrid artifact removal for confocal microwave breast imaging," IEEE Antennas and Wirless Propogation Letters, Vol. 13, 1-4, 2014.
18. Song, H., Y. Li, and A. Men, "Microwave breast cancer detection using time-frequency representations," MBEC, Vol. 56, No. 4, 571-582, 2018.
19. Shaheen, A. M. A. and K. M. Quboa, "Pole splitting algorithm For UWB breast cancer imaging," 2012 16th IEEE Mediterranean Electrotechnical Conference (MELECON), Yasmine Hammamet, 2012.
20. Cuomo, K., J. Piou, and J. Mayhan, "Ultrawide-band coherent processing," IEEE Microwave Magazine, Vol. 47, No. 6, 1094-1107, 1999.
21. Papy, J.-M., L. De Lathauwer, and S. van Huffel, "Common pole estimation in multi-channel exponential data modeling," Signal Processing, Vol. 86, 846-858, 2005.
22. Papy, J.-M., L. De Lathauwer, and S. van Huffel, "Exponential data fitting using multilinear algebra: The decimative case," J. Chemometrics, Vol. 23, 341-351, 2009.
23. Lazaro, A., D. Girbau, and R. Villarino, "Simulated and experimental investigation of microwave imaging using UWB," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 94, 263-280, 2009.
24. Elahi, M. A., M. Glavin, E. Jones, and M. O'Halloran, "Artifact removal algorithms for microwave imaging of the breast," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 141, 185-200, 2013.
25. Yin, T., F. H. Ali, and C. C. R. Aldasoro, "A robust and artifact resistant algorithm of ultrawideband imaging system for breast cancer detection," IEEE Trans. Biomed. Eng., Vol. 62, No. 6, 1-12, 2015.
26. Klemm, M., I. J. Craddock, J. A. Leendertz, A. Preece, and R. Benjamin, "Improved delay-and-sum beamforming algorithm for breast cancer detection," International Journal of Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 2008, 2008.
27. Zhuge, X., M. Hajian, A. G. Yarovoy, and L. P. Ligthart, "Ultra-wideband imaging for detection of early-stage breast cancer," Proceedings of the 4th European Radar Conference, Munich, Germany, Oct. 2007.
28. O'Halloran, M., M. Glavin, and E. Jones, "Effects of fibroglandular tissue distribution on data-independent beamforming algorithms," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 97, 141-158, 2009.
29. Shaheen, A. M. A. and K. M. Quboa, "Development of accurate UWB dielectric properties dispersion at CST simulation tool for modeling microwave interactions with numerical breast phantoms," The Eighth International Multi-Conference on Systems, Signals & Devices (SSD 11), Sousse, Tunisia, 2011.
30. Shaheen, A. M. A. and K. M. Quboa, "Modeling and optimizing ultra wideband antennas for microwave breast cancer detection," International Multi-Conference on Systems, Sygnals & Devices, Chemnitz, Germany, 2012.
31. Al-Zuhairi, D. T., J. M. Gahl, and N. E. Islam, "Compact dual-polarized quad-ridged UWB horn antenna design for breast imaging," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 72, 133-140, 2017.
32. Al-Zuhairi, D., J. M. Gahl, A. M. Abed, and N. E. Islam, "Characterizing horn antenna signals for breast cancer detection," Canadian Journal of Electrical and Computer Engineering, Vol. 41, No. 1, 8-16, 2018.