This paper presents designs of novel E-plane spiro meander line uniplanar compact electromagnetic bandgap (E-SMLUC-EBG) and H-plane spiro meander line uniplanar compact electromagnetic bandgap (H-SMLUC-EBG) structures. The proposed EBG has been applied in mutual coupling reduction of a dual-element multiple input multiple output (MIMO) antenna system for WLAN by placing an EBG structure between the radiating antennas. Compact size of EBG helps in reducing the edge to edge distance between Antennas that is 0.14λ0 in this case, and it increases the compactness of integrated circuit. We get 19 dB and 11 dB simulated mutual coupling reduction in E-plane and H-plane respectively at 5.8 GHz. Measured isolation improvement of 20.3 dB for E-plane and 14.7 dB for H-plane has been achieved. This coupling reduction is also confirmed by surface current and correlation coefficient plots. The four-element (2×2) MIMO antenna system with proposed EBG is also simulated.
2. Qamar, Z. and H. C. Park, "Compact waveguided metamaterials for suppression of mutual coupling in microstrip array," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 149, 183-192, 2014.
3. Ghosh, J., S. Ghosal, D. Mitra, and S. R. B Chaudhuri, "Mutual coupling reduction between closely placed microstrip patch antenna using meander line resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research Letters, Vol. 59, 115-122, 2016.
4. Assimonis, S. D., T. V. Yioultsis, and C. S. Antonopoulos, "Computational investigation and design of planar EBG structures for coupling reduction in antenna applications," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 48, No. 2, 771-774, February 2012.
5. Islam, M. T. and Md. Shahidul Alam, "Compact EBG structure for alleviating mutual coupling between patch antenna array elements," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 137, 425-438, 2013.
6. Ghosh, C. K., B. Mandal, and S. K. Parui, "Mutual coupling reduction of a dual-frequency microstrip antenna array by using U-shaped DGS and inverted U-shaped microstrip resonator," Progress In Electromagnetics Research C, Vol. 48, 61-68, 2014.
7. Xu, H. X., G. M. Wang, and M. Q. Qi, "Hilbert-shaped magnetic waveguided metamaterials for electromagnetic coupling reduction of microstrip antenna array," IEEE Transactions on Magnetics, Vol. 49, No. 4, 1526-1529, 2013.
8. Qamar, Z., L. Riaz, M. Chongcheawchamnan, S. A. Khan, and M. F. Shafique, "Slot combined complementary split ring resonators for mutual coupling suppression in microstrip phased arrays," IET Microw. Antennas Propag., Vol. 8, No. 15, 1261-1267, 2014.
9. Sharawi, M. S., A. B. Numan, and D. N. Aloi, "Isolation improvement in a dual-band dual-element MIMO antenna system using capacitively loaded loops," Progress In Electromagnetics Research, Vol. 134, 247-266, 2013.
10. Zhang, J., G. Ci, Y. Cao, N. Wang, and H. Tian, "A wide band-gap slot fractal UC-EBG based on moore space-filling geometry for microwave application," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 16, 33-37, 2017.
11. Arezoomand, A. S., F. B. Zarrabi, S. Heydari, and N. P. Gandji, "Independent polarization and multi-band THz absorber base on Jerusalem cross," Optics Communications, Vol. 352, 121-126, 2015.