In South East Asian countries, particularly in a developed Asian city, open-trench drains systems are prominent due to climatic differences. Open-trench drain structures occupy a great part of the terrain topography in Malaysia, and therefore this project aims to further investigate the impacts that open-trench drain systems have on radio propagation prediction in a low density urban environment. Towards that end, we have engaged an interactive 3D ray-tracing tool to build the environment depicting a low density setting with clusters of low rise building structures oriented far apart from each other. The existence of open-trench drains is incorporated into a mock city model to obtain propagation prediction results for different operating frequencies. One of the primary differences this study in comparison to the existing studies on ray-tracing modeling of an urban city with open-trench drains is that the quantity of building models and open-trench drain structures are generated over a wider area to mimic actual low dense city settings. When such scenarios are considered, the impacts of open-trench drain structures fade away.
2. Seybold, J. S., Introduction to RF Propagation, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., NJ, 2005.
3. Modi, V., "Radio wave propagation," IOSR Journal of Electronics and Communication Engineering (IOSR-JECE), Vol. 9, No. 1, 17-19, Feb. 2014.
4. Yun, Z., S. Y. Lim, and M. F. Iskander, "Modeling three-dimensional terrain in urban propagation environment using geospatial data in cyberspace," Proc. IEEE Int. Symp. Antennas Propag., 1-4, Toronto, ON, Canada, Jul. 2010.
5., "Propagation over irregular terrain with and without vegetation," ITU Publications, 83-89, 1990.
6. Oluwole, F. J. and O. Y. Olajide, "Effects of hilly terrain on UHF band radio frequency propagation," International Journal of Science and Research (IJSR), Vol. 2, No. 4, 164-166, Apr. 2013.
7. Lim, S. Y., Q. P. Soo, A. Adam, D. W. G. Lim, Z. Yun, and M. F. Iskander, "Towards a comprehensive ray-tracing modeling of an urban city with open-trench drains for mobile communications," IEEE Access, Vol. 5, 2300-2307, 2017.
8. Lim, S. Y., A. K. Awelemdy, Z. Yun, and M. F. Iskander, "Experimental study of propagation characteristics in an open-trench drain," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 15, 60-63, 2016.
9. Yun, Z., Z. Zhang, and M. F. Iskander, "A ray-tracing method based on triangular grid approach and application to propagation prediction in urban environments," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 50, No. 5, 750-758, May 2002.